Excessive drinking?? Diabetes? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Mane
Dog's Name: Sasha (7/14/99) & Lola Pink (9/20/10)
Default Excessive drinking?? Diabetes?

I have been noticing Sasha has been visiting her bowl a lot more recently therefore peeing more. Diabetes has came to mind.

Are there any other symptoms other than urination/drinking I should be looking for???? How much water is consider excessive?? Im not sure if I should be this worried. She is my little baby and at 12 yo. I really cant be taking chances. If I continue to see this behavior through the weekend. I will bring her into the vet sometime next week.

Last edited by S&LP'S Mommy; 09-03-2011 at 10:40 PM. Reason: adding text
S&LP'S Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Well, coincidently I have been going through this with my Lola. It can be any number of things. As it turns out, it looks like Lola had a urinary tract infection. She needs to see the vet, have a urinalyisis and a lab panel. Good luck. Hopefully it is something easy to treat!

Please Donate to GME Research
Lola's GME Research Fund
http://maf.convio.net/goto/lolagme.fund
pammy4501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammy4501 View Post
Well, coincidently I have been going through this with my Lola. It can be any number of things. As it turns out, it looks like Lola had a urinary tract infection. She needs to see the vet, have a urinalyisis and a lab panel. Good luck. Hopefully it is something easy to treat!
UTI has came to mind also because she had one like 5 years go and I remember the constant urination. But at the time she was having a lot of accidents around the house and her pee was almost clear. Neither of which are happening now.

Thanks for answering.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Linda
Dog's Name: Bonnie Marie, my angel and Bellarata's Bounces with Wolves, Bounce - St. Patrick's Baby!

I agree - it could be a number of things. Bonnie was drinking excessively two years ago. She was misdiagnosed with Cushing's. It was only after I questioned her vet (her ex-vet) that I went for a second opinon. In Bonnie's case, she had a benign liver tumor, but it was only after I prodded and insisted on an ultrasound.

How long has this been going on? I would recommend a visit to her vet.

Bounce, you're the joy and sparkle in my life (with the heart shaped tongue).
Bonnie, you're my sweet girl who will never be forgotten or replaced.
Bonnie's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deb
Dog's Name: Jops,Sammie,Frankie,LBB,Henry,Daisy,Lulu

She's 12-years-old. Take her in for a full senior exam.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Maltmom View Post
She's 12-years-old. Take her in for a full senior exam.
I can assure you she has had every test to date the vet has recommended. I just recently took her in for a second opinion on her overall health. I will bring her in to my normal vet and describe the symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie's Mommie View Post
I agree - it could be a number of things. Bonnie was drinking excessively two years ago. She was misdiagnosed with Cushing's. It was only after I questioned her vet (her ex-vet) that I went for a second opinon. In Bonnie's case, she had a benign liver tumor, but it was only after I prodded and insisted on an ultrasound.

She was tested in February for cushings and that was neg. She also had an ultrasound. They checked all her organs. She had surgery. She went through an extensive work op. She just had abdominal xrays about two wks ago. I think a mass would have shown?

Old 09-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:

I would say about one week. Ive asked my boyfriend if he thinks she is peeing excessively he doesnt think so. I dont really know how much is too much water. They both share two water bowls. I usually dont refill them until dinner. Most of the time they are not completely empty.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Bonnie Marie, my angel and Bellarata's Bounces with Wolves, Bounce - St. Patrick's Baby!

Yes, a mass should have shown. I was just telling you my story. I hope it's nothing serious. Have you thought that maybe the summer heat could be the problem? You didn't say how long this has been going on. If you've taken her to the vet since you've noticed this and didn't get satisfactory responses, I would take her to another vet.

Deb is right, at 12 she should have a thorough senior exam. Bonnie is 10, and I have had one done every year since she turned 7, which is considered a senior for dogs - just don't tell Bonnie that, lol!

Oh, just saw your response about this being only a week. I wouldn't be too worried, but I would definitely start measuring (if you can) how much she's drinking. Naturally, you don't have a baseline, but you, as her mom, knows when it's too much.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Yes, a mass should have shown. I was just telling you my story. I hope it's nothing serious. Have you thought that maybe the summer heat could be the problem? You didn't say how long this has been going on. If you've taken her to the vet since you've noticed this and didn't get satisfactory responses, I would take her to another vet.

Deb is right, at 12 she should have a thorough senior exam. Bonnie is 10, and I have had one done every year since she turned 7, which is considered a senior for dogs - just don't tell Bonnie that, lol!

Oh, just saw your response about this being only a week. I wouldn't be too worried, but I would definitely start measuring (if you can) how much she's drinking. Naturally, you don't have a baseline, but you, as her mom, knows when it's too much.
She does go for senior checks its been a couple years already is what im trying to say. But no she hasnt been to the vet since I noticed the drinking. I will make an appointment for next week. She is due for a thyroid (T4) test soon anways.

I would say she drinks about 10 oz of water a day.

Last edited by S&LP'S Mommy; 09-04-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&LP'S Mommy View Post
She does go for senior checks its been a couple years already is what im trying to say. But no she hasnt been to the vet since I noticed the drinking. I will make an appointment for next week. She is due for a thyroid (T4) test soon anways.
Sounds good - please let us know what the vet says!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement