When to put "down".... - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums


SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
Default When to put "down"....

My little AbbeyAnne will be 16 years old next month. Twice she has gone to the vet after the "goodby hugs". Twice the vet thought he could "make it all better" and she got to come back home.

Abbey is blind, has dementia and will just fall over at times when just walking. She now has to wear a diaper because her bladder links. She is always hungry wanting to eat all the time. She has be be carried outside to go potty. Now here's the "kicker"....

Abbey will come in from outside running and leaping in the air. She does her "wiggly wiggle" treat because she has gone potty and has earned a treat.

Would like feedback. I'm thinking as long as she happy. My husband thinks it's time.
Mom2AbbeyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
allheart's Avatar
 
Name: Christine
Dog's Name: Mia, Leo and Ana
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,915
Default

Bless your heart. I think many of us, have been where you are. For hubby and I the best indicater is Quality of Life for your baby. If she is happy, not suffering at all, eating, drinking as she should, I say enjoy these special moments.

She sure sounds happy to me, she just has special needs, and that makes her special.

Many hugs.
allheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
almitra's Avatar
 
Name: Sandra
Dog's Name: Pepper Potts-Phillips and Mercury's Special Delivery (aka "Squeegee")
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas, of course!
Posts: 1,886
Default

I have to agree with Allheart---she sounds wonderful and is simply growing older. Constant pain that cannot be ameliorated and loss of all quality of life would be hallmarks for me to consider the alternative. ((hugs))
__________________

Pepper (the avatar) and The Squeege (the siggy)

almitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

 
maggieh's Avatar
 
Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago - Western Suburbs
Posts: 7,682
Default

Agree with the others here - if she is still happy and enjoying life, keep her comfortable. One day she will look at you with eyes that say "it is time" and you will know that she is ready for the rainbow bridge. Until then, love her and enjoy her "wiggly wiggles" for as long as they last.
__________________
Sweetness and Tessa
maggieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Snowbody's Avatar
 
Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 20,856
Default

I'm so sorry that you're going through this now. Sixteen years in a very long life so you must be a great mom.
My cousin just went through this with her beagle. He, in fact had had cancer and two rounds of chemo over the past couple of years and really had a diminished quality of life. He could see but was deaf and he was always ravenous and kind of dragging around though as you say with the treat dance, would perk up for a treat. I had pet sat Bailey many times and could see such a difference. Near the end she thought she was going to lose him but she said he rallied. Rallying for her was that he wasn't on death's doorstep but he was leaking pee, sometimes in control of bladder sometimes not, suddenly very picky about food which he never was before, yet still ravenous so she would try food after food. To me he just seemed restless. I think he knew something was very wrong with himself and he wasn't comfortable and thus restless.
But I also think my cousin was keeping him going more for her than for him. He ended up going in a very sad way when they were out - lost all control of his faculties, couldn't get up the stairs he always did and could barely lift his head and was whimpering. At that point, I really think she had waited too long and I think it would have been kinder of her to have had him put down before and spared him a horrible end.
I think you have to just keep AbbeyAnne at the forefront of your decision and then I know you'll do the right thing.
__________________

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
LJSquishy's Avatar
 
Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 5,880
Default

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this, I know for all of us it is the most difficult decision to make and even when we do say goodbye, it doesn't heal our hearts.

It really is a decision you and your husband (and usually with the help of your vet) need to make together. You are the ones who see the quality of her life on a daily basis. It sounds like she has quite a few obstacles, but that she is still enjoying her life as it is. I know it is hard when incontinance comes into play. It means you have to be there for her like you would be for a human infant. I don't carry my dogs outside to potty, but I do walk out with them every time, so having to accompany her potty wouldn't bother me at all. The fact that she is still able to have some bladder/bowel control is great. Honestly, I think I would try and make her last moments as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. I think she will probably go on her own, when she is ready. If her quality of life seems to decline even more, then I would certainly consider and speak with my vet about letting her go. Sometimes I think humans need to step in when they get really bad. So far, I think she is just aging as she should and she is progressing through the natural stages on her own.

Hugs to you, your husband, and your precious little girl. Hang in there.
__________________
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
allheart's Avatar
 
Name: Christine
Dog's Name: Mia, Leo and Ana
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
I'm so sorry that you're going through this now. Sixteen years in a very long life so you must be a great mom.
My cousin just went through this with her beagle. He, in fact had had cancer and two rounds of chemo over the past couple of years and really had a diminished quality of life. He could see but was deaf and he was always ravenous and kind of dragging around though as you say with the treat dance, would perk up for a treat. I had pet sat Bailey many times and could see such a difference. Near the end she thought she was going to lose him but she said he rallied. Rallying for her was that he wasn't on death's doorstep but he was leaking pee, sometimes in control of bladder sometimes not, suddenly very picky about food which he never was before, yet still ravenous so she would try food after food. To me he just seemed restless. I think he knew something was very wrong with himself and he wasn't comfortable and thus restless.
But I also think my cousin was keeping him going more for her than for him. He ended up going in a very sad way when they were out - lost all control of his faculties, couldn't get up the stairs he always did and could barely lift his head and was whimpering. At that point, I really think she had waited too long and I think it would have been kinder of her to have had him put down before and spared him a horrible end.
I think you have to just keep AbbeyAnne at the forefront of your decision and then I know you'll do the right thing.
Oh Susan, bless the dear Beagle, how I love them. Yes, keeping Abbey Ann first and foremost, is the answer, and I think that is what the poster is doing bless her.

My "son" Flakey lived till he was 15. Cushions, Congestive heart failure, but with loving care, you would never have known it. He remained a happy little boy. And then one day, we were on our way out, and Flakey came and sat at my feet and looked up at me, and I said "Mommy knows sweetheart" I will never forget that day. I threw my purse down, and off to the hospital we went. Always keep your babies quality of life, first priority, regardless of what a vet may say. Fortunately, our vet, was part of the loving decision.

Oh how I love Seniors, and they will sadly get older, and that is when they need us the most, to do right by them.

Many hugs.
allheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
allheart's Avatar
 
Name: Christine
Dog's Name: Mia, Leo and Ana
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,915
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
I'm so sorry you are having to go through this, I know for all of us it is the most difficult decision to make and even when we do say goodbye, it doesn't heal our hearts.

It really is a decision you and your husband (and usually with the help of your vet) need to make together. You are the ones who see the quality of her life on a daily basis. It sounds like she has quite a few obstacles, but that she is still enjoying her life as it is. I know it is hard when incontinance comes into play. It means you have to be there for her like you would be for a human infant. I don't carry my dogs outside to potty, but I do walk out with them every time, so having to accompany her potty wouldn't bother me at all. The fact that she is still able to have some bladder/bowel control is great. Honestly, I think I would try and make her last moments as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. I think she will probably go on her own, when she is ready. If her quality of life seems to decline even more, then I would certainly consider and speak with my vet about letting her go. Sometimes I think humans need to step in when they get really bad. So far, I think she is just aging as she should and she is progressing through the natural stages on her own.

Hugs to you, your husband, and your precious little girl. Hang in there.

Beautifully said Lisa.
allheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
Default

Thank you ALL....each and every one! I will share the wonderful replies with my husband. I am sure it will make a difference in his heart as well.

What beautiful pics of your "babies". I hope each of you get a "wiggly" today as well.
Mom2AbbeyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Snowball Pie's Mommi's Avatar
 
Name: Marie
Dog's Name: Snowball
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2AbbeyAnne View Post
Thank you ALL....each and every one! I will share the wonderful replies with my husband. I am sure it will make a difference in his heart as well.

What beautiful pics of your "babies". I hope each of you get a "wiggly" today as well.
Bless your heart. You have already received the same thoughts from other SM members that I, too, would have shared with you.

Your words here touched me ...hoping that everyone else here gets a "wiggly" from their fluff babies today. With that, I feel you will know what is best for your beloved angel, AbbeyAnne. You are such a loving mommy to her.

Warm hugs.
__________________
Snowball Pie's Mommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:13 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com