Rocky is not feeling well since yesterday.. - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Dianne
Dog's Name: Rocky
Default Rocky is not feeling well since yesterday..

The day before yesterday, which was Wednesday, I bought a bottle of Pet Dental by Four Paws at Petco. He doesn't let me brush his teeth, so I thought adding this to his water would be good. I put it in his water that night.

Yesterday morning, he seemed fine and happy, but I didn't give him breakfast because I was leaving early and would be back early in the day. I did give him his usual treats to hold him over.

I left to go out Christmas shopping and when I got back I noticed he threw up in the bathroom on the throw rug. I picked him up to look at him and he stunk of it, so I put him in the bathtub. He wasn't as good as he usually is in the tub. Then I put him on the grooming table and was drying him and then brushing him and he would cry every time I tried to stand him up to brush underneath him. It was a weird cry I never heard before. So I felt him and examined him everywhere, his legs his back and his feet. I couldn't find anything. He started to shake so I just held him but he cried when I picked him up. He wanted down. Last night he didn't play with my husband at all, in fact he would not even come near us.

He slept on the floor in front of the couch..something he never does, he's always right there on the couch with us, or he's bugging my husband to play fetch all night while we are watching TV. This is usually his most playful and energetic time. He didn't want to do anything. He would not let us touch his belly and would cry out, so he stayed away from us. At one time, he went into my bedroom closet and was lying down there. I let him do it. Meanwhile, he didn't have anything to eat all day. I tried giving him the Natural Balance (dry) Limited Ingredients with chicken. He wouldn't touch it. So last night, we put him in bed with us. At one point he woke us up and my dh took him outside. He said he had diarrhrea. So I cleaned him up and put him back in bed with us. (I know I'm crazy, but he was sleeping on the foot of the bed.)
This morning, I found drops of diarrhea in the guest bathroom. It looked dry like he did it very early this morning. After cleaning that up, I examined him again. Still couldn't find anything wrong, but at least he was not shaking. I did not add the Pet Dental to his water today, thinking it could be from that. He still has not eaten a thing. I boiled some chicken for him and he won't touch it. I don't feel his stomach making any noises. Didn't feel it last night either. But he has been belching occasionally the last week or so, like he is going to throw up but he doesn't.

Just now I took him out and he had more loose stool but just a drop.
Do you think I should take him to the Vet? He's walking fine, getting up on the couch up his little stairs ok. So I think it's just his belly ache.

Here's the ingredients in the Pet Dental by Four Paws:
Water, Glycerin, Citric Acid, Methyl Salicylate,Sodium Borate,Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Benzoate, Postassium Sorbate, Trisodium EDTA FD&C Blue 1, FD&C yellow 5.
Now that I see all the sodium in it do you think it could be from that? I don't even know what those other ingredients are. Now I feel really bad. I followed the directions by adding 1 tablespoon of the liquid with 32 oz. of water.

Do I try feeding him or just allow him to eat when he's hungry?
I don't want to over react, but Rocky has never had diarrhrea before, not even loose bowels. That was his first time throwing up food. He has in the past threw up a little yellow liquid. But not for a long time. It looked like the couple of treats I gave him before I left. Not much. But between that and the loose bowels I'm worried.

Do you think it was the Pet Dental? The only other different thing I did that day (Wednesday night) is give him a little chicken from the crock pot that was cooked with onions. Could the flavor of the onions do it? I'm tending to think it's the Pet Dental because I looked up onions and although I knew not to give him any onions, I didn't think giving him a tiny bit of chicken cooked in soup with onions would hurt. I feel so responsible for making my little boy so sick!!!!

Rocky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Forgot to mention: Last night he was in the praying position. Head and front part of his body down and his butt and hind legs up, another sign of pain.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Christine
Dog's Name: Mia, Leo and Ana

Honestly, instead of tearing your hair out, I would take him to the vet. You will feel alot better and so will your baby.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Oh I hate it when the fluffs get sick. It's just like an infant a guessing game. They can't tell you how they feel and we feel helpless. Praying Rocky will be feeling better soon.

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Vanilla

Diane----I have a feeling it is the TREATS. Same this week for us. I gave Vanilla treats called ZOE dental treats and I have found vomitt this week in her bed and she has had very very loose stools with drips on the floor as well. At first I did not think it was the treats so I gave it to her again the next day and it happend al over again So now NO DENTAL TREATS just Greenies.....strange but these do not bother her at all.
poochie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Hi how are you? just read your post i too like christine think he should see the vet poor baby shaking sounds like alot of pain for an upset stomach prayers coming your way for a speedy recovery

Anna oxo
aksm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Hi, thank you all for your replies. I have calmed down a bit.

Here is an update that happened shortly after my last post. I gave him the boiled chicken and he ate it. Shortly after eating it, he did have a very small loose poop. Just enough to stain his butt again! Then, a little bit later, a tiny drop more. He is playing though and not acting like he's in pain. So I know if I call the Vet, he'll say to come in. But he's showing an improvement. I hope the bowel movements stop. He hates rice. What else can I give him beside the chicken? If he's not completely well by tonight, I will take him to the Vet tomorrow. He has Saturday morning hours too. If he wasn't playing and still acting like he was in pain and didn't eat, I would have taken him in already. But I think right now I'm going to give it a couple of more hours. He is also allowing me to touch his belly! I think he's on the mend. But I don't think it was his wellness treats. He eats them all the time. I still think it was either the Pet dental solution or maybe he has a bug? My stomach is not great today either! Can he catch something from me or I from him?

Old 12-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Terry
Dog's Name: Naddie, Quincy, & ( "Angel Missy" 8/11/94-7/19/05 )

Ahhh poor little Rocky.. does sound like he may have had a 'tender-tummy even before ( the earlier belching) and it may well have been a combo of the two new things that just didn't set well with him.
I"d try giving him a little pumpkin ( plain not pie filling) to help firm up the stool since he does appear to feel a bit better. He probably had gas pains along with the diarrhea.
if he's drinking good id most important... keeping hydrated with the diarrhea is very important.

Feel better little man!

Let us know how he's feeling a bit later OK?
Old 12-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose, Lily, & Eva

Poor Rocky. Dianne, I would not give him the Pet Dental, again either and I do not think Greenies are good treats. I think your approach is right on. He seems a little better. If he gets that distressed again over the weekend, I think he needs to see the vet. Please keep us posted..I hope he continues to improve.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Rocky squeezed out two more tiny drops. He asks to go out quite a bit..probably thinks he'll have another accident. He never has accidents in the house, so it must have been traumatic for him. He hates messes.
I just called the Vet and made an appointment for 10:30 tomorrow morning. The tech said if he's feeling better it's no problem to cancel. She asked the doctor and he said to give him 1/4 of a 10mg. tablet of Pepcid twice a day. They didn't think it was necessary to come in today if he's better than yesterday. So only if he gets worse, I will take him tomorrow.

Yes, Terry, I'm pretty sure he did have gas pain. Poor baby.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement