How to stop Barking!!!!! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Audrey DeLay
Dog's Name: Jasmine (Female)
Default How to stop Barking!!!!!

My sister Donna came home to visit and she stated that she does not like visiting because Jasmine barks all the time, and that is true, but she also barks at my mom sometimes. This is what I have tried already to stop her barking.

1. Have a soda can full of pennies and shake it when she barks. Does not work

2. Have a Bark-Off machine. Does not work

3. Have a water bottle that I threaten her with if she barks a lot -- this still works for me sometimes

I do not know what else to do to make her stop barking. HELP!!!!!

dntdelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Linda
Dog's Name: Bonnie Marie, my angel and Bellarata's Bounces with Wolves, Bounce - St. Patrick's Baby!

My only suggestion would be consistency. If the water bottle works, keep it up!

Also, do you think she's being protective of you? Maybe if you held her for awhile during the visit, and then let her 'investigate the intruder" lol, that might help.

I hope you get some better advice. Luckily, Bonnie doesn't bark too much when we have a visitor. She does bark as soon as someone comes in or seems ready to come in (like a delivery person), but once they sit down and she can sniff them and let them pet her, she's fine.

Bounce, you're the joy and sparkle in my life (with the heart shaped tongue).
Bonnie, you're my sweet girl who will never be forgotten or replaced.
Bonnie's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Penny
Dog's Name: Milo

well, when i want my dog to stop barking because he does bark often, i put him on time out. He goes outside. He comes back inside quiet and calm hope this helped.

-proud maltese owner
Miloforever08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

I think some of those tactics will scare him (would you like water squirted in your face everytime you spoke?). It's better to reward him for not barking. If you look in the search bar above I think you might find some good advice from JMM (Jackie) on training not to bark. I think you might be able to work with someone on ringing the bell and rewarding for him not being reactive. Have you attended any kind of obedience classes with positive reinforcement? They might help or work with someone one on one about the problem.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miloforever08 View Post
well, when i want my dog to stop barking because he does bark often, i put him on time out. He goes outside. He comes back inside quiet and calm hope this helped.

-proud maltese owner
I like this idea, but instead of putting her outside would a crate (that is never used) be good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
I think some of those tactics will scare him (would you like water squirted in your face everytime you spoke?). It's better to reward him for not barking. If you look in the search bar above I think you might find some good advice from JMM (Jackie) on training not to bark. I think you might be able to work with someone on ringing the bell and rewarding for him not being reactive. Have you attended any kind of obedience classes with positive reinforcement? They might help or work with someone one on one about the problem.
I hardly ever spray her with the water, and you are right she is afraid water, but she was afraid of water before I started doing the water bottle. I will look for JMM. I always tell Jasmine to Quiet and sometimes she does, but not all the time. We actually had a trainer come over, but she only trained us on sit, stay, come, etc....

Old 01-04-2012, 02:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I did a private message to JMM so I hope she will give me some advice.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

My guess is that Jasmine is under socialized and fearful of visitors. This is pinned in the Training section:

Unwanted barking, does it really work?
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

MiMi barks at visitors, but it is her happy (high pitched and very annoying) bark. She wants their complete attention. I have asked people to ignore her completely when she barks, but as soon as she is quiet to lavish her with attention. It works with the friends who do it. Others won't reward her for being quiet. Some ignore her when she barks, give her a little bit of attention and then when she barks again, they tell her to be quiet. She used to do the happy bark when I returned home, but the method worked for me. My problem is that I can't train my friends.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Donna
Dog's Name: Ollie

I am trying the ignore and turn my back method with Ollie. When I'm by myself, it seems to work after a few minutes. Gets better each time...however, I have to hold something over my backside as he loves to jump up and nip for attention. My DH doesn't have the patience to do this so Ollie gets confused I think. Ready to get him back in obdience school b/c he has started ignoring me when called and that is not acceptable. Sylie...I know the happy bark and it is soooooo annoying!
Old 01-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
MiMi barks at visitors, but it is her happy (high pitched and very annoying) bark. She wants their complete attention. I have asked people to ignore her completely when she barks, but as soon as she is quiet to lavish her with attention. It works with the friends who do it. Others won't reward her for being quiet. Some ignore her when she barks, give her a little bit of attention and then when she barks again, they tell her to be quiet. She used to do the happy bark when I returned home, but the method worked for me. My problem is that I can't train my friends.
:HistericalSmi ley:
Sylie, you never cease to tickle me!
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement