Stuffy Nose - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Amanda Brooke
Dog's Name: Bella and Enzo
Default Stuffy Nose

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

We noticed Saturday afternoon that Bella seems to have a bit of a stuffy nose. I noticed it after bringing her in from a walk and I thought it might of been due to the fact that it was cold out, by Miami standards that is, it was only like 64. The stuffy nose has stuck around tho. She has been acting fine, eating and bossing Enzo around so I'm wondering if it's due to the cold weather or possibly allergies? I had noticed she had been chewing at her paws a lot so I just switched her food from Wellness to the Natural Balance Alpha Fish blend thinking she may have an allergy to chicken? I know I've read you can give certain medicines to dogs, what should I try giving her for the stuffy nose?

BellaEnzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

If Bella has a nasal discharge it's not allergies. She's probably starting an upper respiratory infection. She needs a vet visit and antibiotics.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

I don't have the answers to your concerns, but just wanted you to know that I am thinking about you and Bella. Hope she is feeling better very, very soon!

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
If Bella has a nasal discharge it's not allergies. She's probably starting an upper respiratory infection. She needs a vet visit and antibiotics.
No nasal discharge, her nose has actually been a bit dry at times, even tho I can tell she is still stuffy, that's why I am wondering if it's allergies... My first thought was to run to the vet, but I can't make it right now with work so I was hoping you all might have some suggestions

Old 01-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summergirl73 View Post
I don't have the answers to your concerns, but just wanted you to know that I am thinking about you and Bella. Hope she is feeling better very, very soon!
Aww thank you Bridget, she seems to be feeling fine, just has me worried. Hope Lady Bella is feeling okay after her spay.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaEnzo View Post
No nasal discharge, her nose has actually been a bit dry at times, even tho I can tell she is still stuffy, that's why I am wondering if it's allergies... My first thought was to run to the vet, but I can't make it right now with work so I was hoping you all might have some suggestions
It could be from the dry air in your house. The furnace running constantly in this cold weather bothers me, too. You could add a humidifier.

If it is allergies, most likely it's environmental, not food as 90% of dog allergies are environmental. Since nothing is blooming in this cold weather, it's probably something in your house- dust, carpeting fibers, etc. Dogs can even be sensitive to the perfumes and dyes in laundry detergent.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
It could be from the dry air in your house. The furnace running constantly in this cold weather bothers me, too. You could add a humidifier.

If it is allergies, most likely it's environmental, not food as 90% of dog allergies are environmental. Since nothing is blooming in this cold weather, it's probably something in your house- dust, carpeting fibers, etc. Dogs can even be sensitive to the perfumes and dyes in laundry detergent.
We're in Miami so we don't run a furnace or we'd be toast! The A/C hasn't been running as much tho since it has been cooler outside, so maybe it's been drier due to that? We constantly have a humidifers running in our house as my BF has allergies, we have no carpet, our house is pretty dust free due to his allergies, and I hadn't washed any of her stuff recently, but when I do I use the sensitive detergents anyhow. I know when she was younger she had some sneezing fits and the doctor told me not to use Feebreeze near her beds or her, which we don't.The only thing we do use are things like the Glad Plug ins and an AirWick sprayer thingy, but we've used those forever, could it just now be effecting her?

I tried calling my vet, but he isn't working today, of course, so I left him a message for him to call me tomorrow, but he usually calls back at the end of the day. Should I try giving her something for tonight or wait till I talk to him tomorrow?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Get rid of the air fresheners, especially the plug ins.

Shocking Facts About Air Fresheners | Get Rid of Smells

Never use scented carpet powders and switch to perfume and dye free laundry detergent for Bella's bedding and see if that helps.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thanks Marj, I'll do that. That article is rather scary, espically since we use them all over our house! I wonder if that contribtues to my BFs allergies/breathing issues. I'm going to look into that book it references cause he has a nose that can smell anything, so I'm always looking for ways to keep the house smelling fresh and clean.

Do you think I should give her the childrens benedryl or wait? I just worry that she's uncomfortable even tho she seems to be acting fine.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaEnzo View Post
Thanks Marj, I'll do that. That article is rather scary, espically since we use them all over our house! I wonder if that contribtues to my BFs allergies/breathing issues. I'm going to look into that book it references cause he has a nose that can smell anything, so I'm always looking for ways to keep the house smelling fresh and clean.

Do you think I should give her the childrens benedryl or wait? I just worry that she's uncomfortable even tho she seems to be acting fine.
I have allergies and I can tell you that when I visit my one friend's house who has those plug ins all over I can barely breathe.

I use air purifiers in every room. That not only keeps things smelling fresh and clean, they remove dust and mold from the air which helps those of us who suffer from allergies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement