Anyone have Asthma or severe environmental allergies? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix
Question Anyone have Asthma or severe environmental allergies?

Hi all,

Gus (2 year old - min poodle mix) has lots of allergies - food and environmental. Our vet said as he got older they would just get worse

The food we have under control (yay!), but still learning all his environmental allergies. I know that if he runs around where there is dirt or dirt-dust his eyes get yellow goop and his nose runs. Whenever he played in the grass he would get itchy and his paws would get red.

It started as a puppy. He had terrible skin rashes. But we've had a "system" and it has been working. But thinking this is the "getting worse" part my vet was talking about.

Gus LOVES to play ball. It is his "puppy crack" activity. Just mention it and he is dancing at the door. So every other day we go play ball on the grassy area by our house (it's AZ we all have rocks in our backyards!). I thought I solved the allergy issue by bathing him after we got home so that all allergens were off his coat. And it was working. Gus has to be bathed at LEAST every other day or he gets rashes and itchy. A-L-L-E-R-G-I-E-S

But today we went out to throw the ball, and about 8 minutes into it he starts walking home - by himself! Gus knows "go home" - we trained him to stay on the sidewalk and walk home. But I always have to use my "firm voice" because he always wants to chase his ball. Not today. Today he started walking home!

So I grabbed our stuff and followed him. When I caught up to him he was wheezing. He's never wheezed before.

We have an appointment Thursday for Grace, and I called and they will put Gus into a slot just after her with our vet. Right now he takes benadryl as needed, probiotics, and omegas. But I'm thinking he might need something stronger and that our ball throwing in the grass is over Which is going to suck because then I don't know where to play with him. We are building a pool so at least in a few months he can swim (another favorite).

He runs laps in the house without any problems, so not worried about heartworms (which he is on preventative for). Pretty sure it is allergies. Especially since he started home on his own during his favorite activity. Gus has avoided allergens in the past (amazes me, my smart boy).

Anyone have experience with doggy asthma? Or severe environmental allergies?

I have asthma... felt bad for him and thought about giving him a puff of my inhaler but knew better. Just gave him his benadryl. He is doing okay now - no wheezing, just tired from the med. Will be bathing him soon.

Kind of trying to do my research and see what to expect at the vets....

We have insurance so not worried about cost. Just wanting to be prepared.

Thanks!
T, Grace, & Gus

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme

Last edited by Grace'sMom; 03-05-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Ugh - allergies are such a bummer. My DS has asthma, seasonal and food allergies and we've lived our lives playing a balancing act. When Tyler seems to have an allergic reaction last year they put him on Zyrtec and it seemed to help a lot. That's all I can suggest right now and ball playing inside. Hope the doc has answers.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thanks Susan... I'm trying to do some reading and see if there are any other natural options out there.

But maybe a longer lasting allergy med that he takes daily would be best.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Melissa Martinez
Dog's Name: Paislee and Rustee Wallace

Aww I'm sorry. No experience here but I hope you can figure something out with the vet that will help him. He is so precious...walking himself home I do feel bad for him having allergies that will get worse that stinks but he is in good hands! He's so cute....cute cute cute....
Old 03-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Vet appointment went well. Gracie got her shots and cried But still loves the vet and wanted to go everywhere with her LOL

She checked Gus out and he doesn't have a constant wheeze which is good. She doesn't think he needs a steroid or anything like that yet since he isn't wheezing inside, just around triggers. Allergy season is hitting hard and fast here this year, she said.

So for now she said to give him his benadryl (he does well on this) as needed, and that if we are planning to walk somewhere with lots of grass or dirt then to give him one an hour or so before. But it would be best to keep him to the sidewalk and wipe him down when he gets inside.

Pool will be done in a month or so .... won't have to worry then. Gus loves to swim, great exercise, and no allergies there!

Old 03-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

It is rather unusual for a dog to get asthma like people do.

Benadryl has a rather low efficacy rate in dogs. I have had the best luck with Hydroxyzine and Zyrtec in dogs.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I'll remember that JMM

Right now the benadryl seems to work for Gus.

Vet said his allergies will get worse as he gets older, so not sure if it will always work but good to know about the other two options

Old 06-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Donna
Dog's Name: Ollie

jmm....I tried to talk to my vet about Zyrtec for Ollie and they said they never heard of doing that. Atopica isn't working and the hydro??? stuff didn't either. How do I find out how much Zyrtec for him? Is there a children's Zyrtec?
Old 06-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lydia
Dog's Name: Georgie Girl (GG), Bayleigh (yorkie), Lexie (RIP Sweet Angel 12/07/99-12/31/2013)

My yorkie has food & seasonal allergies as well, what an arduous process for sure. The zyrtec doesn't seem to work for her at all and the benedryl not much better. The atarax works, but I can't give for more than a few days without side affects. Chlortrimetron seems to work, so that may be another option down the road. I bathe her frequently as well, and that seems to help too. She's only 2.5 years old, so not looking forward to ours getting worse either. Good luck to you! Enjoy the new pool!

lydiatug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Toni
Dog's Name: Bella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
Ugh - allergies are such a bummer. My DS has asthma, seasonal and food allergies and we've lived our lives playing a balancing act. When Tyler seems to have an allergic reaction last year they put him on Zyrtec and it seemed to help a lot. That's all I can suggest right now and ball playing inside. Hope the doc has answers.
So what was the dosage for the Zyrtec?

Toni Wilson
Willow Springs, NC
ToniLWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement