How active will she be? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci
Default How active will she be?

I'm not sure if this is a question to be posted in the Health and Behavior section, but I apologize if it's not.
I'm trying to get an idea of how active she will be. And by that, I mean, outside of the home. I bought her a carrier, so I will be able to carry her when necessary, but I was wondering how much I can/should let her walk. For example, we like to go to the mountains and visit the waterfalls. Some of the hikes are a lot of rocks, which I know she can't do. But, on the straight paths that are just "hills", can I allow her to walk those?
How do I know when she is DONE walking and when it's too much??
italianna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Honestly if you build up I think she'll keep up with you just fine. My boys have had no formal 'training' when it comes to working out... sometimes I will walk them a mile in the residential area here-it hardly does anything as far as tire them out. Now, when we do 18 holes of disc golf, though the woods, they are pretty tuckered out by the end of the day, that's a good two hours pushing through the woods where we go.
shellbeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Elisabeth
Dog's Name: Zooey (L.A. North Central Animal Shelter)

I wouldn't let a baby do steep hills because I think it's too stressful on the bones and joints. But a mature, healthy Malt can do hills and pretty long walks (several miles), with proper conditioning. You will learn to see signs that she's had enough. Zooey starts looking up at me when we're walking if she thinks it's too much. Then I pick her up and carry her the rest of the way.

Elisabeth & Zooey
zooeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

If she's little what about those awesome bag wrap type things? I've seen a few on GW little, she can sit in the bag while you do all the walking
shellbeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbeme View Post
If she's little what about those awesome bag wrap type things? I've seen a few on GW little, she can sit in the bag while you do all the walking
I saw the Fundle bags and thought that might be good for those times, but I can't tell if they are good enough for that type of trip and what size I would need. I don't want to buy one that she will be too small for until she's a year old but don't want to get a small one that she'll grow out of either....I just can't win..lol!
Old 08-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooeysmom View Post
I wouldn't let a baby do steep hills because I think it's too stressful on the bones and joints. But a mature, healthy Malt can do hills and pretty long walks (several miles), with proper conditioning. You will learn to see signs that she's had enough. Zooey starts looking up at me when we're walking if she thinks it's too much. Then I pick her up and carry her the rest of the way.
When I say "hills" it's more like a SLIGHT incline. I certainly wouldn't expect her to do mountain climbing, but a lot of the places we go are just paths that lead to a waterfall.
I've heard they will typically give you the "I'm DONE" look, but didn't know if that was true, so I'm glad you confirmed it. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Lisi totally plants when she is finished & Kitzel pulls back on his leash, stops and gives me that "I am not going any further" look. Believe me, you will know!
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

How old is she? If she is a little puppy, Just make sure she has finished her vaccinations (last one at 16ish weeks) before walking her outside because of the threat of Parvo. and I agree with Sandi - you'll know when they are done!!!

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Audrey DeLay
Dog's Name: Jasmine (Female)

I would make sure all of her shots are finished, and then of course take her outside. Jasmine tries to climb up on me when she is done walking.

dntdelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Well, I haven't even brought her home yet. Hehe. She's only 3.5 weeks, so I have until the end of October before I get her and I wouldn't even TRY until a few months had passed.
I'm just trying to get some information about it, that way I can determine if I should buy one of these Fundle bags to carry her in or if I should try to let her walk some.
Sorry, I'm just so excited that I keep thinking of stuff and have to post on here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement