Rabies shot question - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci
Default Rabies shot question

So, I went to the vet with Gucci today for her 12 week shots. They scheduled me to come back at 16 weeks for her final round of shots, including rabies. I asked her if we could hold off until 24 weeks since that is what my breeder recommended to do and she told me that in NC, by law, it has to be by 24 weeks. I don't want to overdose her on this stuff..anyone have any advice???
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Well, can you do it at 23 weeks 6 days? Sorry if this sounds stupid.

I waited 2weeks after Gustave's last combo stuff. I know that's sooner than 24 wks but my breeder recommended that.
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I would just schedule it for something like 22 weeks then. Plenty of time between shots and plenty of time before it's required by law so that if she happens to be sick on her appointment, it can be rescheduled in time.
Aarianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I agree with Aarianne....I would schedule it weeks apart. No one is going to come knocking on your door and force you to give it exactly on time.
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Schedule it on her 24 week birthday LOL

Definitely separate them

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carole
Dog's Name: Giovanni & Manny-Guiseppe

You don't have do vaccinate yet. No one is going to come after you - unless the unlikely chance that your ferocious little fluff would bite someone! My breeder wanted us to wait until Gio was 1 year old, and we just had the shot - he will be one on 11/1. Make sure and insist that it is Imrab - TF! (thimerosol free)

ckanen2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

There is always the possibility of doing the rabies shot first to be w/in the time frame & picking up the other shots a bit later. . . I have done that in the past. Overseas the rabies is the only one required by law (& to travel) so to me it is one of the most important. I won't give the shots too close together so I did it that way at least once & probably more---can't remember now. Be sure to also space out the worming/tick/etc. meds. so you will know if there is an allergic reaction to something, what it is. This also gives the liver a bit of recovery before the new onslaught of drugs.
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

OK, I'm a newbie here and also new to having a Maltese. But I'm gonna go out on a limb and ask...why does the breeder say to wait so long? I mean, if vets have studied vaccines in school and have had experience in their practices, wouldn't they be the experts on when it's safe to give the vaccines? As a nurse who has worked pediatrics, I have heard all kinds of reasons parents are scared to have their children vaccinated. Yes, there are risks. But those risks are very few and the chances of getting the diseases usually far outweigh the risks of the vaccines. Most of the time, the fears they've had have usually started because one person said the vaccine caused such-and-such and through the grapevine, word spread and became told that it was something else. I'm not trying to stir up anything here...just want to know if there's something I don't know about why you should wait so long. I've had pets (including a 3lb Yorkie) all my life and have never had any problems with any of them getting any vaccines, deworming, etc. Maybe I've been lucky, but it's nothing's ever happened to any of my pets, friends pets, or any pets I knew when I worked for a vet for two years back when I was in high school & college.

My vet has been giving Leila Benadryl each time when I've taken her for her vaccines to prevent any kind of allergic reaction. She's due for her rabies vaccine in a couple of weeks and I just want to find out if there's something else I need to know.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

I think it is a mistake to equate children's vaccinations w/animal vaccinations as the vaccines infants receive are calculated for an infant's size whereas a rabies vaccine is calculated for a huge animal (up to the size of a horse).
Most vets are not small breed specific and think nothing of giving a huge rabies shot to a very small dog w/a not yet fully developed immune system.
I have had 2 dogs who have had severe anaphylactic reactions---one to the rabies shot & the other to either D or Lepto. I also had a dog w/a reaction (not as severe) to worming meds and a dog w. a severe reaction to a tick medication. All of the aforementioned were administered by a vet who also had to give the antidote --so it was not my imagination in any instance.
I feel it is important to know ALL that I can possibly know in order to advocate for my dogs. My vet is knowledgable, personable & very intelligent, but she listens to me and we can discuss my concerns. She has learned over the years that I keep up w/medical studies, etc. & she respects my opinions (usually, LOL). She insists that she has become much more knowledgable about small dogs through me & the information I send to her. It is a win-win.
edit: My vet does not like for me to dose my dogs w/Benadryl before vaccines as she wants to know if there is some sort of reaction that she needs to be aware of for the next time.
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"

Last edited by edelweiss; 10-30-2012 at 07:40 AM.
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

No, no, no...I wasn't trying to say children's vaccines are the same as animal vaccines and I did not mean to offend you or anyone. I was trying to learn more about them and the risks because like I said, I had never known of anyone to have any. I'm so sorry that yours did and I also apologize if I offended you in anything I said or questioned. I will continue to get Benadryl for Leila to prevent reactions though. I'd rather prevent one than to have to treat one.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement