Potty Training Problems!!! Please Help - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Potty Training Problems!!! Please Help

Hey Everyone,
My little Sumo has been fully potty trained for a year now. However, he has recently started to pee in the house when I am gone. My husband is deployed and I am out of the house for 5-6 hrs a day on average. If I am going to be out for longer, I have a friend come in and let Sumo use the bathroom, play etc. He does not pee when I am home and he still lets me know when he has to go out. It almost seems like he is being spiteful lol, maybe possibly because I am not home with him? Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Any suggestions? He is eating well and has plenty of energy. His behavior is normal, except for going to the bathroom in the house...Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks,
Shannon and Sumo
Shannon Steadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

If he has been reliably potty trained for a year - I'd make sure to get a urine sample to the vet to make sure he doesn't have a UTI.... Even if he isn't having accidents when you are home - he may just be really good at letting you know. But if he was holding it while you were away previously, and now is having accidents - definitely get him checked out before putting it on behavior....

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Sounds like either UTI as was suggested or it could be separation anxiety.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I agree with Tori.....you should go to your vet to rule out a UTI. Good luck.
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Shannon, my Deer Chi, Freeway, does that when I leave him alone for more than 2 hours. He's fully trained, to the point I tell him go outside and pee and whether he wants to or not he'll go even if it's only a couple of drops. However, every single time I leave him alone for more than 2 hours like to get my hair done or mani/pedi or a facial the little bugger goes and marks on the parrot cage leg. It sounds exactly like separation anxiety to me. Little gut got used to having you home and now that you're away for more than what he considers reasonable he's letting you know about it. My dear Yorkie, Teddy, destroyed more than one very expensove pair of shoes for the same reasons till I got the point and starting taking him to grammy's and grampy's whenever I was going to be gone for more than a couple hours.

Suz
SamiPix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Has Sumo been neutered? Often it is that second year when intact males really start marking.

Print this Veterinary Partner Article

Is he confined when you leave or does he have the run of the house?
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the feedback. Im sorry it took me so long to respond! I am in Nursing School and the last few weeks have been pretty hectic. Well, little Sumo has stopped using the bathroom in the house. He has not had an "accident" since the day I posted the original thread. My husband is also home from his deployment so he is not alone as much. Now, he pushes his food bowl to all ends of the kichen and I came home today and he had pushed it to the front door! He has quite the personality! I do let him have access to the entire house when we are away from home. He is normally pretty good about not messing in the house or tearing anything up. I am hoping he is just acting out a bit. If he does begin acting up again, I will definitely take him to the vet. As of right now, he is back to being my happy little ball of energy!
Shannon
Shannon Steadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement