Question for anyone who has adopted a rescue ~ trust issues - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lynne
Dog's Name: Angel, Annie, Speckles
Send a message via AIM to angel's mom Send a message via Yahoo to angel's mom

I sing to Tilly. I don't have a good voice, but I sing lullabys, softly to her. Bet she can't associate a singing voice to anything negative. I just keep hoping, and yes, I even pray for her.

angel's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)

This is all great advice. I rescued both my Malts but they were not mill dogs and we do not think they were abused, however, Ozzie was SO scared when we got him we think he was neglected/kept in a cage or was possibly afraid of men for some reason I'd rather not think about... but I really have no idea... Ozzie's background story is very interesting and tragic because he was used as a breeding stud, but the dogs were given away and the business was shut down in the home because the owner's husband was struck and killed by a car chasing a puppy that got out...

Even though Ozzie was not a mill dog, it took several days for him stop shaking, to sit on the couch with us and stop running away from us. We were so lucky that he trusted us quickly...

I would definitely say PATIENCE is the key here!! And having other pups around probably makes her feel safer. I would just give her time... I watched a video of those pups and they were severely neglected. Knowing some of them were so traumatized they would just sit in the corner and shake really says something to what these babies have been through...

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #23 (permalink)

Name: Stacey
Dog's Name: Chloe & Nemo

I adopted my Nemo one year ago this month, he would also a breeder dog and would run away when we tried to pick he would. I found if I sat on the couch or floor then he would come to me and was not frightened. Most days he will now go to the door to have his leash hooked up to go outside but every once in awhile he will have an issue with it and be afraid again. Patience and time are the most important, the longer you have him and he learns to trust that you are not going to hurt him the less anxious and afraid he will be.
Chloes mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #24 (permalink)

Name: Jojo
Dog's Name: Daisy & Cupcake

I have barely been on here lately! I'll get on for maybe 10 minutes or so & maybe post a response in a thread & that's about it.

I wanted to update ya'll on Cupcake ~ she is doing really well except for potty training. Still trying to tackle that.

We went to an education class this past week & learned a lot about dog behaviors & they had a special class just for people who are fostering &/or adopting these mill malts. There were about 7 or 8 of us there. There was one couple there who were concerned because the rescue they adopted does not like to be picked up. They've only had him a week! Now I can see how silly I sounded when I was worrying about that very issue after only having her for two weeks. Also, several of the ones there have malts that bite. Not just bite them, but are also biting their other dogs, & not in a playful manner. One lady fears she may have to give hers back because he keeps biting (drawing blood on occassion, yikes) her other dog (also a male, & I wonder if that has anything to do with it?)
Several of them there also said their malt hates men. It really makes me think that a man was the one who they had most of their contact with.

We are so fortunate that Cupcake didn't have major issues. Now I just gotta get her to quit going potty in the house! She'll go outside & run all around, play, have a great time & then go in the house & pee. When we went to that behavior session they said that if she doesn't potty outside, then put her in her crate for 10-15 minutes, then take her outside again & if she still doesn't go, then back to the crate. Do this until they go potty outside & then treat & praise them when they go (I do this, but I wasn't putting her in the crate if she didn't go ~ I felt guilty doing it, but they said don't feel guilty, you have to train her)

I also learned more about the living conditions these dogs previously had. I knew they were neglected & abused, & I knew it was pretty severe, but wow, there was even more to it than what I knew (which was bad enough).
Old 12-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Maxwell, and Henry, (and Buddy and Bunnie too), Grendel, Molly and Bunny in heaven

Yaaay for Cupcake! So glad she is doing well.
I am sure it will take some time for her to understand where it is okay to potty and where is not okay. If she was in cage all the time she never had to decide before.
The image of her running around playing outside put a big smile on my face!
I am so grateful that these little ones were saved from such really horrifying conditions. Thank you for giving her a yard to play in!

Daisy and Max and Henry
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Jojo....so happy Cupcake is doing better. Potty training does take time. It really is sad to hear stories of fluffs that have come from horrible situations and see what they are afraid of and shy away from.......so very sad. Cupcake is so lucky to have you to care for her and love her....so happy for you both.