Shaky and unresponsive - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Lucky

It does sound like a hypoglycemia episode. One thing you can try is to feed Boo the same amount of food, but in smaller portions several times over the course of the day, so there are no highes and lows. You may want to reduce any starchy foods also. At that age they are very much at risk for high and low sugar. Good luck, so sorry the guy is not feeling well.
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

I hope Boo is ok. I would do the same as you. Gosh I see my vet every other week practially, cause of my dogs heart condition. I also have his cell number on speed dial. Check his gums and make sure that the yarea a pinky colour and press agasint it gently to see if the colour releases really fast..... that is a good sign. Also get to your regular vet to get his opinion. Ask the vet if you could give him electroliytes (looks like chicken broth) for dogs and get a syringe to keep him hydrated. I am really sorry that you are going through this praying for you both!!!
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Robin
Dog's Name: Phoebe Trixibell (adopted) and Griffin (Bonnie's Angel)

Hoping Boo is feeling better this morning...

I would hate to live in a world without dogs, glass, or wine...
MoonDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Did your vet do bloodwork? If this was a hypogylcemic episode, Boo's blood glucose would have been very low so the cause would have been obvious.

How much does Boo weigh? Hypoglycemia is generally just a problem during the first three months unless a dog is unusually small and unable to regulate own blood sugar.

Do you have pet insurance? I would really recommend it.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Sorry Boo isn't feeling well. I certainly would have rushed him to the emergency vet. But I would also take him to my regular vet today if he isn't himself. Maybe some bloodwork needs to be done if it wasn't already. I do hope he is feeling better and please keep us posted.
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

How is he today? I've been worried and checking all day for you to come back and let us know. I hope he's alright.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shirley Ng
Dog's Name: Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinhle68 View Post
Hi Shirley Ng,

I am very sorry to hear about poor little Boo having to go through this and he will be in our prayers for a speedy recovery. This in fact bring back some really bad memories for us because not many days ago, our 5yrs male Maltese Biscuit experience a similar incident.

You are in good hands here with the SM family as there are many great aunties and uncles that are very knowlegable and experience with tips.

Being that Boo is still very young I would recommend you to closely monitor his situation. I find that pet normally do not have problem unless they are experiencing problem or irritation and the signs would be obvious to you. In Boo case if he's shaky and non-responsive, that would be in my case more to be concern of and not to taken lightly. Well the fact that the initial Vet assessment did not reveal anything doesn't really help much to put you at ease but please monitor Boo through tonight and hopefully you can take him to see the Vet again tomorrow. It also might be helpful to get a 2nd opinion from another Vet as well.

Unfortunately being a pet owner we have to also comit to the financial support to maintain a perfect health for our little guys. So you might want to look into getting pet insurance. Ann and I didn't think we need it until Biscuit recent episode.

Anyhow, I'm sure Boo will be fine so please keep us updated on his condition. I would love to see a picture of Boo so please share a few with us. :-)

Yes, i do feel like im in good hands with SM. you guys always know what to do with every problem that i have
jenna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

How is Boo ???
aksm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I was also going to ask how Boo is doing?
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shirley Ng
Dog's Name: Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkomorow View Post
It does sound like a hypoglycemia episode. One thing you can try is to feed Boo the same amount of food, but in smaller portions several times over the course of the day, so there are no highes and lows. You may want to reduce any starchy foods also. At that age they are very much at risk for high and low sugar. Good luck, so sorry the guy is not feeling well.

I have to research about hypoglycemia because she said it might be sugar levels. Which brand of food has less starch? Im using nutro ultra right now since the petsmart people said it was the best when i first got him.
jenna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement