Shaky and unresponsive - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shirley Ng
Dog's Name: Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
Had Boo eaten? Was it a hypoglycemic episode? Did the ER do any bloodwork? I hope little Boo is feeling better. If he were mine, I'd take him to my regular vet as soon as I could.

No he didnt do any blood work but i will soon before i neuter him
jenna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltese manica View Post
I hope Boo is ok. I would do the same as you. Gosh I see my vet every other week practially, cause of my dogs heart condition. I also have his cell number on speed dial. Check his gums and make sure that the yarea a pinky colour and press agasint it gently to see if the colour releases really fast..... that is a good sign. Also get to your regular vet to get his opinion. Ask the vet if you could give him electroliytes (looks like chicken broth) for dogs and get a syringe to keep him hydrated. I am really sorry that you are going through this praying for you both!!!

Wow you do see your vet often. I checked his gums and they are fine. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Default Boo is back to normal!!!!!!!!!

So relieved now! I couldn't really sleep last night even though he was sleeping. He was so energetic and back to normal. Thanks everyone for praying and thinking about Boo. I will post more pics of Boo in the picture section.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

So happy to hear Boo is himself again.
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Dianne
Dog's Name: Rocky

Was this Boo's first time staying with your sister? Maybe it was anxiety? Glad to hear he is feeling better!

Rocky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

Glad to hear he is feeling better but definetly do the research on hypoglycemia (this is something that I have and I know it is not fun and very dangerous). Bella had a hypoglycemic episode once and it was terrifying. Look up lots of info and I think I'd question why the Vet didn't check for the blood sugar levels. I would think it would have been at the top of the checklist?

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I'm shocked the ER vet didn't do blood work! Especially since hypoglycemia was such a possibility for your pup. Shocked.

I'd take him to his regular vet and tell them what happened. Ask them about hypoglycemia and how to best handle it in the future. I'd also get a general lab run on him for a baseline. Get a copy and keep it so you have it.

Was your pup with you sister for a long time? Did he not eat all day?

Is he free feeding?

If he is free feeding instead of on a schedule, I think it's time to put him on a schedule. I'm all for free feeding young puppies, but one down side of free feeding is you don't know how much he is eating, or when he really last ate.

If this happened and he did eat normally that day -- you really do need to know if this is a more serious health condition.

My Grace is prone to hypoglycemia because she has liver problems. I deal with it a lot. It can turn bad fast, and can be very serious. If it happens too many times it can start effecting their organs. So it's important to figure out if this was just a one time thing - maybe nervousness, not enough to eat that day, etc....

Or if it is a more serious health issue that you are now just being alerted to as he is getting older.....

Hope he continues to do well.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #28 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post
I'm shocked the ER vet didn't do blood work! Especially since hypoglycemia was such a possibility for your pup. Shocked.

I'd take him to his regular vet and tell them what happened. Ask them about hypoglycemia and how to best handle it in the future. I'd also get a general lab run on him for a baseline. Get a copy and keep it so you have it.

Was your pup with you sister for a long time? Did he not eat all day?

Is he free feeding?

If he is free feeding instead of on a schedule, I think it's time to put him on a schedule. I'm all for free feeding young puppies, but one down side of free feeding is you don't know how much he is eating, or when he really last ate.

If this happened and he did eat normally that day -- you really do need to know if this is a more serious health condition.

My Grace is prone to hypoglycemia because she has liver problems. I deal with it a lot. It can turn bad fast, and can be very serious. If it happens too many times it can start effecting their organs. So it's important to figure out if this was just a one time thing - maybe nervousness, not enough to eat that day, etc....

Or if it is a more serious health issue that you are now just being alerted to as he is getting older.....

Hope he continues to do well.
I agree with Tory. I am also shocked that your vet didn't do bloodwork. Since hypoglycemia is the most likely cause for his episode, I can't understand their reasoning. Did they offer bloodwork and you declined?

At six months old he should be able to regulate his blood sugar himself unless he is really tiny. How much does he weigh?

It is important to know what to look for and how to treat it if it happens again. My Lady was diabetic and on insulin, so she had hypo episodes. When their blood sugar drops too low you must act quickly. If he is unresponsive, you need to rub a little sugar onto his gums - Nutrical, Karo syrup, pancake syrup, even jam or jelly. I used to keep those packets of pancake syrup you get at fast food restaurants in my purse, glove compartment, Lady's stroller, etc.

Sugar will bring the blood sugar up quickly, but it is essential he have a good meal with lots of protein and complex carbs as soon as he comes around or he will just crash again.

I also agree with Tory about free feeding. If he is not eating on a schedule you will have no way of knowing how much he ate before you leave for a few hours.

Here's a good article for you to read:

Toy Breed Hypoglycemia
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #29 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky's Mom View Post
Was this Boo's first time staying with your sister? Maybe it was anxiety? Glad to hear he is feeling better!

No, my sister lives with us! He goes to her when I'm not home
Old 11-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #30 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summergirl73 View Post
Glad to hear he is feeling better but definetly do the research on hypoglycemia (this is something that I have and I know it is not fun and very dangerous). Bella had a hypoglycemic episode once and it was terrifying. Look up lots of info and I think I'd question why the Vet didn't check for the blood sugar levels. I would think it would have been at the top of the checklist?

Well she did say I can do a blood work but she didn't say what it was for so I just went home since she couldn't find anything wrong with him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement