Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Strange growth on my Lily

4K views 54 replies 22 participants last post by  aprilb 
#1 ·
I found a rather large, hard lump on my Lily today. It is on the skin near her mouth. I have never seen one like this before..it is hard and painless, but it has tiny little scabs all over it and it bleeds easily...I will take her to the vet but has anyone seen anything like this before?? I am concerned..Thanks..

#2 ·
It might be an abscessed tooth April, so ask the vet to be sure. That would be my first guess.

#9 ·
She just had a dental, but I looked inside her mouth on that side and did not see any swelling. It seems to me that an abscess would be painful...and she is not in any discomfort.

Ru has had a small growth on her back for ages. I bleeds easily and gets scabby...it almost looks like a big wart. The vet didn't see any reason to remove it, but if Lily has the same thing, it could be irritated a lot because it is close to her mouth.

Try not to worry.
Yes, what Lily has sounds similar..I remember you telling us about Ru..thanks, Sylvia.

UOTE=Furbabies mom;2081048]It sounds like a wart also, but my dog's were older when they got them. I hope everything is OK.[/QUOTE]Thanks..yes, she is only 3..I didn't know they could get warts.

April - I have no idea. Can you post a photo of it? Hope it's nothing but definitely warrants a trip to the vet.
Thanks, Sue..I will try to take a pic...

I have no idea what it could be, but happy to hear that she's going to the vets. Let us know what the vet says.
Thanks, Debbie..I will let ya'll know.

April, I hope it is nothing to worry about. Let us know what the vet says!
Me, too..but it does not bother her..

Alvin had a place like that on his back too. It would get scabby too. The doctor wasn't concerned about it because it was on his back, said it was some kind of wart ( I can't remember exactly what he called it ). Like Sylvia said, being close to her mouth might make them want to do something about it though.
Thanks, Laura..a wart does not sound too bad..but I will get her looked at

#3 ·
Ru has had a small growth on her back for ages. I bleeds easily and gets scabby...it almost looks like a big wart. The vet didn't see any reason to remove it, but if Lily has the same thing, it could be irritated a lot because it is close to her mouth.

Try not to worry.

#8 ·
Alvin had a place like that on his back too. It would get scabby too. The doctor wasn't concerned about it because it was on his back, said it was some kind of wart ( I can't remember exactly what he called it ). Like Sylvia said, being close to her mouth might make them want to do something about it though.

#18 ·
Thank you..I will

April, I am sorry to hear about Lily. It doesn't sound like anything I have ever seen. Please let us know how she is after the vet visit. Hugs :wub:
Thanks, Barbara..

Wonder if it a "pimple" type thing where the whisker grows. I would clean it up, put a little neosporin on it, and watch it.
Thanks, Jackie..will do..I will probably have it looked at on Monday

It kind of looks like a wart.....I would put Bacitracin on it.
I have some..thanks

Gus and Grace have had those before.

I put Colodial Silver on them... they clear up in a few days.
Thank you

April, the only reason I am thinking a tooth is because it is near the mouth---and the pix looks about the same. I had a pup once that had 2 abscessed teeth that looked like this (at different times). I am not saying that is what it is, but do ask the vet. It is improbable since she is only 3.
If you have any of C Christensen's Peace & Kindness I would use it daily to see if there is any improvement.
It IS in an odd place..I will have her looked at on Monday..thanks for your insight, dear Sandi

#17 ·
April, the only reason I am thinking a tooth is because it is near the mouth---and the pix looks about the same. I had a pup once that had 2 abscessed teeth that looked like this (at different times). I am not saying that is what it is, but do ask the vet. It is improbable since she is only 3.
If you have any of C Christensen's Peace & Kindness I would use it daily to see if there is any improvement.

#22 ·

Thank you, Maggie...I did clean the area
as Jackie suggested, and have now applied the Bacitracin a couple of times and it is BETTER ALREADY!!:chili::chili: The swelling has gone down, and all the nasty scabby stuff(sorry for being gross) is gone!! I can't believe it!:innocent: At this rate, maybe it will be gone by Monday, but we still have the appointment, just in case. You gals are just so smart!!!:wub:

#27 ·
April what a scare, we all know our babies soooo well:wub: I hope when Monday comes little Lily is all well.
I also love your new siggy, how on earth did you get all three to look at you at the same time
Thanks, Paula..unfortunately we will need to see the vet...as far as the pic is concerned, all 3 are food-motivated.:HistericalSmiley:

April, maybe it was a bite of some sort or contact with something irritating and she scratched the area. Glad to hear the bacitracin is healing it.
Thank you..it doesn't look like a bite and I have not seen her scratching it..the swelling and bleeding is back..it looks like some kind of tumor...guess I'll find out later today..

#28 ·
Hi my friend, just checking to see how Lily is doing? I will be waiting to find out what is going on, w/prayers and interest. Please post when you can. Big hugs & stay positive!

#29 ·
Jett had something like that under his jaw/chin area where the hair kind of starts to grow in different directions. We're guessing it was something like an infected hair because it was a loose scab that came off by the time we got to the vet. I posted a pic of it on here a few years ago I think. Could be a bit of acne too.

I love colloidal silver and use it whenever I find any kind of skin irritation.

Let us know what you find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#31 ·
April- I wondered if it has something to do with that double dental she had. :unsure: Some kind of abscess from a injection or something. Or maybe it affected one of her whiskers. On the second one since he didn't put her to sleep he may have used some type of numbing injection. ?? Just a thought.
Hope it clears up fast. Sammie sends a little "dance" to Lily.
xoxo

#32 ·
:Waiting::Waiting::Waiting:

April, are you there? I need to hear from you about Lily! :wub:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.