Ok, think this is it.... Gracie's first heat - I have more questions - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix
Default Ok, think this is it.... Gracie's first heat - I have more questions

So I think Grace is in heat....

Our vet told me that she is small enough that we may not really see bleeding, just a swelling of her vulva.

Thursday I noticed it was a little puffier, and today it is definitely puffy. So I'm guessing this is it? I did mark Thursday on the calendar just in case so I can keep count of days. Heat lasts about 10 days from what you all have told me.

I have a diaper cover (not a full diaper) on her just because Gus has been more "interested" in her and I don't want him to hurt her or anything (he's fixed). I take it off for an hour a few times a day. But it's just a cotton cover so it breathes.

My question is concerning pyometra....

What do I need to watch for? What would be early warning signs?

Right now the last few days Grace hasn't been eating well, drinking okay. But she is only peeing 1-2 times a day and pooping once a day (she isn't eating much).

Should I push fluids (syringe water) so she pees more? Or just leave her be?

She's been a bit colder than usual. We just had a early cold snap. So that could be part of it, but she is sleeping and wanting to stay cuddled more. Do I just keep her bundled and warm?

Is it normal for her to be kind of... tired? Not lethargic, but just sleeping. And she is more barky....

Gah. If she was a skin daughter I wouldn't be this confused. But I don't know what to do for her... I can't give her midol and a heat pack... This must be how men feel

And thanks again for all the continued help with this....

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

She's also tear staining a lot

Old 11-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I wouldn't do anything but keep an eye on her. I am sure your don't have to worry about Pyometra or anything like that. They do get quiet and not themselves but she will be okay in a few days. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do but give her love and maybe some extra treats.....Grace told me to say that . I don't know if you use Spa Lavish for tear stains but if they aren't bad you can use that and leave it on for 3 minutes and wash it off. It may help. Hugs to Gus and Grace.
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I wouldn't do anything but keep an eye on her. I am sure your don't have to worry about Pyometra or anything like that. They do get quiet and not themselves but she will be okay in a few days. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do but give her love and maybe some extra treats.....Grace told me to say that . I don't know if you use Spa Lavish for tear stains but if they aren't bad you can use that and leave it on for 3 minutes and wash it off. It may help. Hugs to Gus and Grace.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thanks Barbara

I do have Spa Lavish and use it almost daily...so will give her a little facial today.

She ate some vegan GF banana pancakes this morning.... so she's getting special things

Thanks.... I just worry

Old 11-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Hi sweet Tori Becky is finishing her first heat!

yes mine was not eating well , sleepier than usual more grumpy , so she sounds normal to me pyometra well usually after heat keep an eye on her , puss from vulva , really lethargic , not eating at all and painful abdomen this what my vet told me
hope i helped a bit

love Anna xoxoxoxo
aksm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post
Thanks Barbara

I do have Spa Lavish and use it almost daily...so will give her a little facial today.

She ate some vegan GF banana pancakes this morning.... so she's getting special things

Thanks.... I just worry
We do worry about them so much. Grace had a better breakfast than I did. I don't have an issue here with tear stains and use the regular Spa Lavish blueberry and vanilla face wash but I know they also make the same one just with blueberry for tear stains. Never used it but I heard its good. Just thought I would let you know in case you didnt already.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Tori, you would not notice pyometra for about 8 weeks after the heat. . . BUT it is also not usual that she would have it now as a young bitch. I have seen lots in my yea, hundreds of yrs as a maltese owner, and believe me, it is not usually the case. Truly I would worry more about how frustrating this will be for Gus!
Lisi has tear stains again too, from Eherlichosis, I believe. She has completed her 28 days of antibiotics and now has to wait 2 months to be retested to see if the antibiotics did their thing! The wait is always the hardest.
Try not to worry too much for now! and I will try to take my own advice!
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

LOL So I have to worry again in 2 months?? haha

Thank you all It's good to know it will most likely be okay and also good to have you all here to understand my worrying.

I hope Lisi's treatment was successful. Poor girl... I know how she feels.

Anna -- I remember you said Becky wasn't eating well. Maybe it's stressing her liver. So I will boost her milk thistle I think. She's on the low end of the dose right now.

I am pretty sure the tear staining is from the heat. She didn't have any problems with it until the last 3 days. Hopefully when she is done with the heat they will go away.

We are all just a little grumpy today

Grace is like Leave me alone! ...and wants to just sit on my shoulder and sleep.

Gus is all moody... sympathy PMS? ... He is jealous I think? Trying to climb up on the top of the couch to sit like she does, pushing himself between her and me or her and my mom. He's very snappy about his toys. She can't touch his toys.... and today all the toys are his toys!

Will be an interesting 10 days Pray it goes fast.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Just remember Tori that the entire heat period is more like 21 days all-together---sorry to be the bearer of that news! Sort of like people telling me that colic would disappear after 3 months when it was actually 4 1/2 months for us! Ugh.
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement