Growling... - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooeysmom View Post
I wouldn't let her growl at the towel you're using to wipe her down. It's one thing when they're playing with other dogs or toys, but growling can escalate into aggression if you don't nip it in the bud. I'd tell her "Shhhh!" very firmly until she stops.
I agree! Play growling is one thing, but growling at the towel, or while being brushed or if a treat is taken away is serious. Growling often leads to biting if not stopped.

I would really recommend the Nothing in Life is Free program. You must establish that you are in charge.

Dog Training: Nothing in Life is Free : The Humane Society of the United States

Nothing in Life is Free
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
I agree! Play growling is one thing, but growling at the towel, or while being brushed or if a treat is taken away is serious. Growling often leads to biting if not stopped.

I would really recommend the Nothing in Life is Free program. You must establish that you are in charge.

Dog Training: Nothing in Life is Free : The Humane Society of the United States

Nothing in Life is Free

Both of those were great posts.

Grace is VERY vocal LOL ... She barks, dead duck calls, and growls. The growling is only during play, though. And Grace has learned when I am playing and when I'm done. She won't growl at me unless I'm in the same play mode as she is.

The moment I ask her for her toy, she sits and stops.

She hates brushing on her feet. Really hates it. But she doesn't growl at me. She did a few times as a young puppy but I stopped it right then. A very firm and startling "Bah" (our "no").... When she stopped, I gave her a treat. Then during brushing I would treat her often before growling happened. She hasn't done it since.

If I want a chewy, even if the other pup is right next to them, they know if I reach for the chew, it is mine. And they let go. No growling.

In fact, I purposely do that exercise with their bones and their food just so they are used to people reaching into their dish or taking it away when they aren't done. I always give it back. But neither one growl or get upset.

Allowing a dog to growl outside of play - and not knowing when to not growl during play - can cause problems.

Another dog may not see it as play growl. Another person may not see it as that.

A child could be terrified and cry "bite" even if she didn't, and that could get you in a mess of trouble.

The NILF program is a good one.... These little fluffs are adorable but they can try to dominate really quickly LOL

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

We do use NILIF with our boys and thus far I haven't had a growling issue. DH likes to roughouse with them (I'm not crazy about that) and they will growl while they play like that, but that's the only time.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks guys! I will definitely keep my eye on growls outside play, this was the first time she growled at the towel but like I said the cat was there & she was squirming to try and get down and play, said NO in a stern voice and stopped wiping her feet then waited a second and began to wipe her feet again with no problems. I didn't see it as something vicious, no growls when taking away a treats, I've always made it a point of petting her during meal times so she gets used to that, and no growls during brush time.
I don't know if this is all fluffs or not but she really doesn't like the word "no", she feels very bad after she hears that word and usually mopes around and gives me the "puppy eyes"
Belle-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post

She hates brushing on her feet. Really hates it. But she doesn't growl at me. She did a few times as a young puppy but I stopped it right then. A very firm and startling "Bah" (our "no").... When she stopped, I gave her a treat. Then during brushing I would treat her often before growling happened. She hasn't done it since.
Bailey growled for real once when he was about 6-7 months old after he became a teenager and decided to push the boundaries. He found a chicken bone outside while we were walking and did not want to drop it. When I went to take it away he gave me a very quiet growl. I instinctively grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and said horrible things to him in my ugliest voice. I must have sounded like I was possessed by a demon! Bailey quickly dropped the bone and never growled again. I don't think he ever wants that scary mommy to come back!
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
Bailey growled for real once when he was about 6-7 months old after he became a teenager and decided to push the boundaries. He found a chicken bone outside while we were walking and did not want to drop it. When I went to take it away he gave me a very quiet growl. I instinctively grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and said horrible things to him in my ugliest voice. I must have sounded like I was possessed by a demon! Bailey quickly dropped the bone and never growled again. I don't think he ever wants that scary mommy to come back!

Funny how they know when the "Mommy means business" voice comes out LOL Then suddenly they are little angels

Little stinkers!

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement