Paws and Mouth area turning brown - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Default Paws and Mouth area turning brown

Haven't been around here in awhile but surely miss all these little furbabies My Peechie of 9 yrs old unfortunately now has diabetes with an insulin injection 2 times a day. Her cushings test came back neg. Otherwise with taking care of her diabetes and loss of sight but she can still see a little bit, she is doing really well as we baby her and care to any little need she has. Her paws seem to be changing to a brownish color and around her mouth. I would think think this is due to age. Has anyone in here exprienced such. Whatever color she changes to she will always be my little baby as she is more humanlike than doggy.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Terry
Dog's Name: Naddie, Quincy, & ( "Angel Missy" 8/11/94-7/19/05 )

Hi! Sorry your Peecie has diabetes... My Missy was dx at age 7 but did do excellent on her Nph insulin and she was on WD prescription food. Her BGs maintained 99% of the time @ 170s as high and upper 70s to low 80s for her low @ peak. If they spiked much higher, it was due to either she got into something she shouldn't have , or a noticeble slow rise usually meant an onset of a UTI.

I did do home blood testing and it was a huge help to keep things on track! Such as the above mentioned UTI .. was then able to get her to vet to verify and on meds immediately.
If you don't already do it and want more info let me know and I'll share some pictorials for various methods. I used the top of the tail and it didn't phase Missy at all... I was fearful at first but once I found how easy... I wished I had started much earlier.

I am a moderator at a pet diabetes site but the actual diabetes forum is no longer active. However our site continues to have loads of valuable/informative info. If you want to have a well-visited 'interactive forum' I highly suggest you visit Diabetes in your Dog - Insulin, Food, Monitoring, Testing - Forum
Many very experienced people there to give you support.

Now to your question regarding the 'browning of paws and mouth' I'm thinking it has something to do with change of diet?...maybe due to having to change due to diabetes? Maybe acidity has changed. Is Peecie licking her paws a lot and didn't before?
Do you urine test at all?
I got the multi-test urine test strips from Hocks online pharmacy but I don't see the ones I used... maybe out of stock. These strips tested for glucose, Ph, protein, ketones, blood, etc .
Old 11-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

So sorry your baby has diabetes. She is lucky to have your care and love. I can't imagine why her paws would and mouth would change but maybe someone else can chime in. Did you ask the vet what he thinks it could be?
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement