Heartworm & Flea prevention? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Bethie
Dog's Name: Maisy
Default Heartworm & Flea prevention?

Just wondering what you all use for heartwork & flea prevention? The vet put Maisy on Revolution three months ago. So far she's done fine with it, but recently a friend of mine who works with the Humane Society told me that Revolution isn't good. She said it can eat their skin and cause skin problems? I debated on Heartguard & Frontline, but I don't know if Maisy can swallow a pill (she couldn't when she had to have meds when we first got her... maybe she can now..) and if the Revolution can cause skin problems wouldn't the Frontline?
Bethie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

All of mine are on Iverhart and Frntline plus. They are on them from March through November. I would think if the Revolution would cause a problem. You would know by now.

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Leila used Revolution the past two months and had no problems with it. The problem was, however, that it didn't really work against fleas. We have had a doozy of a time trying to get rid of them this year. I guess because of the mild winter last year not killing them off. Even though Leila doesn't really go outside on the ground, we have a Lab who does and then brings them in on her. She's also on a multipurpose pill, but I'm not sure which one (DH takes her). I have found several on Leila while she was on Revolution. When she went for her vaccines last week, she was over 5lbs and they changed her to Trifexis. It prevents heartworms, kills fleas & prevents reinfestations, and treats & controls intestinal parasites. (She doesn't have any intestinal parasites or heartworms though.) I offered it to her as if it were a treat and she gobbled it right up.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nora
Dog's Name: Cici
Send a message via Yahoo to BellaNotte

The vet put Cici on Trifexis.. I have heard a lot of different things about it, that some people say it's bad and others say they've used it for a while and haven't seen problems. I honestly don't know, but she's been on it for about 5 months and I haven't notice any problems. I break it up into small pieces and put it in cheese. It's apparently very good against fleas because my sister's Yorkie has a constant battle with fleas from the neighbor's cats, and Cici plays with him a lot and she hasn't scratched and I have not found even one flea on her. I might change over to another brand next month after I do more research, but I think I'm going to stick with pills. For some reason it seems more effective to me than the skin applications because I have also heard some negative things..
I think flea medications is also like deciding what food to feed our fluffs.. I might be wrong, but I don't think there's one product that's the best than all the others, it's just some things work for different fluffs better than others.

Sent from Cici🐶 & Nora👩
❤💋
Old 11-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Oh! One more thing. I would never use any of the flea medications made by Heartguard. I heard too many scary stories.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement