Is it Pica? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila
Default Is it Pica?

My baby is eating the wall!

There is a small hallway off the den that goes to a bathroom and a downstairs bedroom/study. I have one of Leila's potty pads there too. The other day, I heard a strange noise and thought maybe she was just scratching the pad after going potty. I have that pad in one of those plastic potty pad holders. Well, I went to take a peek and instead of scratching, she was eating the wall. I've been trying to keep a close eye on her and make sure she doesn't do it anymore. But I just caught her doing it again. I don't even know how she got it started since the wall is flat. I would think she'd chew on the molding instead since it's a raised area and easier to get her teeth there. Out of all the places to chew on something, I find this to be a strange place. I guess I need to try some bitter apple spray or whatever it's called. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by Leila'sMommy; 11-14-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Pam, is she teething? Maybe her gums are irritated and she's trying to alleviate that? If nothing else, you could take her to the vet and have blood tests ran to see if anything is off.

I totally understand your frustration, Rocky has a habit of eating random and often times very gross things, and I have wondered about Pica myself.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I would try to fix that hole so she doesn't get hurt or get sick. They just get into everything they can.
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Yes, I'm sure she's teething since she's 4 1/2 months old and likes to chew on all kinds of things...but why the flat wall? She has many toys of all kinds of textures, noises, colors, shapes, etc. She gets enough attention, and she wasn't bored or anxious at the times she did this.

I will have to wait until Friday to fix the hole because I have to work tomorrow. But I will put a baby gate up so she can't get to it again until it's fixed and has had time to set good.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

At 4.5 months, Leila is exploring with her mouth and will chew anything. She has too much freedom now. You need to restrict her area to keep her safe. She should always be where you can see her without having to go "peek" at her. When you can't give her 100% of your attention she needs to be in a pen or enclosed puppy proofed area for her own protection. Tragedy can happen in an instant at this age if a puppy chews an electrical cord or eats something toxic.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
At 4.5 months, Leila is exploring with her mouth and will chew anything. She has too much freedom now. You need to restrict her area to keep her safe. She should always be where you can see her without having to go "peek" at her. When you can't give her 100% of your attention she needs to be in a pen or enclosed puppy proofed area for her own protection. Tragedy can happen in an instant at this age if a puppy chews an electrical cord or eats something toxic.

Totally agree... at that age she shouldn't be out of your sight. She should be kept in a smaller area where you can see her at all times.... a square space without any hallways or nooks is best.

When you can't watch her, like Marj said, she should be in a pen.

It's not mean to restrict them. Right now she is like a toddler. And you wouldn't give a toddler free reign or let them play out of your sight.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

She doesn't have run of the house or anything like that. I put her in a pack n play when I'm downstairs and can't watch her. Upstairs, I have a play yard for her to be in. Both are safe with just her toys, potty pads, food & bed/crate. The 2 doors in this hallway are always kept closed and there's nothing in it but another potty pad. Like I said earlier, I thought she had just gone potty that first time and was scratching at the plastic potty pad holder. The time tonight, she had just rounded the corner and started doing it and I caught her. I now have up a gate. I do have an eye on her about 99% of the time except for when she did that or has run behind the loveseat, which has nothing back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Old 11-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

And I'm blocking that off too right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Old 11-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

LOL! LOL! sorry but I know what you are going through...... Babinka did that, and my Boyfriend was mad..... I told him to shut it and that Babinka was in home improvments... then she got bored of that and started to read (rip) law books that was a funny one. Then after she got bored of law school and got into identity theft.... she stole my baby pictures and had the label reading my name accross her chest. After she decied to get into musical plays and arts...... shreeding the toilet paper around the cats head to the musical sound of music the yodeling song :-) So is Leila getting in to the arts programm ???? or mabey her own home renovation company!!!
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement