When did your fluff 'find his voice - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka
Default When did your fluff 'find his voice

Gustave is not a barker...yet. Every time I say it to another dog owner they tell me he hasn't found his voice yet.

So, when did your pup find his voice? Is it possible Gustave might never be much or a barker?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

I met Leila when she was almost 8 weeks old and she had already started. At that time, she sounded like a little squeaky toy. It was so cute! Now, she is big enough that it sounds like a real bark. I don't know if you read my post from earlier today about the Echo, but she has just realized it sounds different if she barks in the bathroom and it kinda echos. So, she will sit there and bark non-stop just to hear herself.

So far, knock on wood, she hasn't barked when someone knocks on the door or rings the doorbell.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

It's possible for sure. My Zoe isn't a real barker either. Sometimes they do change and learn how to use their voice.
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Audrey DeLay
Dog's Name: Jasmine (Female)

When we first got Jasmine and she barked we were so happy and urged her to bark!! But now I can't get her to shut up!! She barks a lot, especially when visitors are here. We have tried everything to shut her up, but she won't stop!!

dntdelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

We went to Vegas and the dog in the hotel room next to us was barking non stop. Gustave looked in that direction and barked once. This was different from his usual bark. If he's surprised while he's sleeping he wakes up and barks in a shrill voice, but only one time. This time it was different. This was a big boy bark.

Me and the husband looked at each other and distracted him right away and then played with him and gave him a lot of treats. He kept looking in the direction of the barking dog and kept coming back for treats.

Since I live in an apartment building we really need him to not be a barker. The Vegas incident scared me though. It made me feel like he will certainly start barking if we let him. I am fooling myself to believe I can always distract him and give him treats for not barking when he's tempted to but I don't know. I am hoping there are dogs out there who just don't bark a lot and that Gustave is one of them.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

It's good to treat him for being quiet. He may never be a "barker".... some just aren't.

Gus isn't. He didn't bark for a LONG time... I think his first real barking was around 6-7 months!

Grace is VERY vocal. But she's not a big barker - she's a dying goose, a bird (chirping), and a tiger (does the tiger chuffing).... I thinks she's species confused....

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Orla
Dog's Name: Milo
Send a message via MSN to Orla

Milo was around 12 weeks - so not long after I got him. He is a barker - he always barks. He even barks in his sleep a lot. He's very very vocal.

Milo's Instagram
Orla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post
It's good to treat him for being quiet. He may never be a "barker".... some just aren't.

Gus isn't. He didn't bark for a LONG time... I think his first real barking was around 6-7 months!

Grace is VERY vocal. But she's not a big barker - she's a dying goose, a bird (chirping), and a tiger (does the tiger chuffing).... I thinks she's species confused....
Lol. Gustave is a whiner. I just start whining with him now and he just stops and stares at me like, "what the ****!"

Old 11-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orla View Post
Milo was around 12 weeks - so not long after I got him. He is a barker - he always barks. He even barks in his sleep a lot. He's very very vocal.
Really? Does he have different barks? Like, a squeaky one and a deep, more serious one?

Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Bethie
Dog's Name: Maisy

Maisy's was high pitched and shrill for a while. When she first did a regular bark it wasn't long after we got her.. .Maybe 10 weeks. She was so small that her bark would knock her back a foot across the floor. LOL But now she barks at everything... Dogs in the neighborhood, dogs on tv, noises outside, noises on tv... people at the door... random things she thinks she hears... ALL THE TIME. LOL She even barks when we are playing. You are blessed with a quiet baby! LOL
Bethie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement