Griffin grazed on a toxic plant. - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums


SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
MoonDog's Avatar
 
Name: Robin
Dog's Name: Phoebe Trixibell (adopted) and Griffin (Bonnie's Angel)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: N Florida
Posts: 3,586
Default Griffin grazed on a toxic plant.

For the past several days, Griffin has been tearing the leaves off the Peace Lily I keep in my bathroom. I'm sure he's been eating them. I just googled to see if the Peace Lily is toxic to dogs and this is what I found:


Lilies -- While lilies are well-known as a serious danger to cats, certain varieties are highly toxic to dogs as well.
The peace lily, calla lily, amaryllis, lily of the valley, autumn crocus and the common houseplant, giant Dracaena or palm lily, are all deemed dangerous to dogs by the ASPCA. Ingestion of lilies can cause gastrointestinal upset, depression, anorexia and tremors.

"Ingestion of lilies can cause..." Does this mean the blooms this plant produces or could it include leaves as well? This plant didn't bloom this year but has remained heathy in the big vase of water it's been in for the past several years. He doesn't seem to be bothered but now I'm worried. It now sits atop a plant stand he cannot reach.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me?
__________________


I would hate to live in a world without dogs, glass, or wine...
MoonDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Furbabies mom's Avatar
 
Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 13,776
Default

I got rid of mine when I got Laurel and Violet. My old dog's never bothered anything, but I knew this plant was poisonous and having puppies I knew that they may try to eat it. I don't know what part of the plant is dangerous , but when mine bloomed, it would shed a pollen like substance, that would fall on the floor when you brushed by it. I hope Griffins OK.
__________________
Deborah and my Fluffs, Laurel, Violet , Hardy and Dewey!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru


 
Ladysmom's Avatar
 
Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 17,658
Default

Please take Griffin to your vet asap and get bloodwork done. He will have abnormal liver values if he has been exposed to toxins and hopefully your vet can treat him.

Just a reminder about poisonous plants for all our newbies (and old timers, too!):

Poisonous Plants | petMD
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Snowbody's Avatar
 
Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 21,164
Default

Give the plant to someone without a dog or cat as a gift I'm hoping that Griff is just fine and he probably is but might not be a bad thing to run it by your vet and maybe get his bloods checked.
__________________

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
Grace'sMom's Avatar
 
Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 4,172
Default

You didn't say if Griffin was having any symptoms or acting weird?

Both the leaves and the flower is poisonous.... It's a highly poisonous plant for dogs. If he has been eating them, You'd see symptoms: heavy panting, drooling, pacing, vomiting, diarrhea, not eating, lethargic.... Has he shown any of those?

Call the vet to be safe..... and get rid of the plant.

Hope he is okay....
__________________

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)






my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
MoonDog's Avatar
 
Name: Robin
Dog's Name: Phoebe Trixibell (adopted) and Griffin (Bonnie's Angel)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: N Florida
Posts: 3,586
Default

Thank you all. Griffin has not shown any signs whatsoever. No panting, no drooling, no vomiting, no upset tummy. I'm taking him in today for bloodwork. Could damage have already been done without him showing symptoms? I'm so worried now I can't think straight!
__________________


I would hate to live in a world without dogs, glass, or wine...
MoonDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Furbabies mom's Avatar
 
Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 13,776
Default

Here is an article that I read, I'm sure bloodwork will show if anything is wrong.

Praying for him now.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...anRpXz9X-oxrtQ
__________________
Deborah and my Fluffs, Laurel, Violet , Hardy and Dewey!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
MoonDog's Avatar
 
Name: Robin
Dog's Name: Phoebe Trixibell (adopted) and Griffin (Bonnie's Angel)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: N Florida
Posts: 3,586
Default

Thank you Deb. I'm hoping his lack of symptoms is a good sign. I'll know this afternoon where we stand.
__________________


I would hate to live in a world without dogs, glass, or wine...
MoonDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Furbabies mom's Avatar
 
Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 13,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog View Post
Thank you Deb. I'm hoping his lack of symptoms is a good sign. I'll know this afternoon where we stand.
Yes, it seems he would of acted like a burning or numbing sensation if it was bothering him. Maybe he's like those circus guys that eat strange things and it doesn't bother them!! LOL
__________________
Deborah and my Fluffs, Laurel, Violet , Hardy and Dewey!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Summergirl73's Avatar
 
Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,759
Default

Just wanted to tell you that our 2 old babies (Katie and Lucky) BOTH ingested rat poison one stay at our Grandmothers house. We obviously had no idea it was there and my DH heard Katie eating something....that's when he found it . They never had the first symptom! DH and I took them both to a vet in the middle of the night that was 45 minutes away in Greensboro where they had to receive emergency medical treatment. It was terrifying. They both lived very long and happy lives though (both were 15 when they passed). The reason I share this with you is that having no symptoms does not necessarily mean no problem. Definetly get him to the Vet to be sure his levels are ok. Thinking of you!
__________________


"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."

Last edited by Summergirl73; 11-15-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:38 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum