Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Dewey's done.. And fine, but....

2K views 39 replies 25 participants last post by  Piccolina 
#1 ·
The vet called and said Dewey did really well with surgery, and actually came out of the anesthetic really fast. They pulled two baby teeth, but the vet didn't pull all baby teeth still there, because he doesn't see any adult teeth coming in yet, to take their place! He asked me about his diet and was concerned about the calcium level. So... He wants to see him in a month to see if the remaining baby teeth come out on their own, and if the adult teeth are coming in. He then went back to look at his records about the BAT test and told me to keep him on the food I'm I'm feeding him now. at first he wanted him on puppy food until he looked at his charts. Now.... What does all this mean??? should I be concerned??? I actually see two vets in the practice(I like them both) and the other vet was the one that I was seeing about the BAT test. He comes home after 4:00.

#2 ·
Does puppy food have higher protein? If so, maybe it's just he wants to keep the protein levels down, isn't that important with MVD dogs? I'm sure Laurel and Hardy and Violet hope all Dewey's baby teeth fall out and the new ones never come in!!

#3 ·
Maybe that is why he is biting so much---still hatching the other ones. Lisi bites lots of stuff---the round chair rail bottom of my kitchen chairs this week---had to do bitter apple. I keep finding her w/little wood chips (from where?) in her mouth too!
I would not worry at this point as he isn't going to show. Sometimes it is a blessing as the mouth is too small to support all teeth---at least that was the case w/my daughters.

#16 ·
I don't know, I'll ask? The baby teeth not coming out isn't worrying me, it's why his calcium level may be off. From 3months until the BAT test he was on Red Barn and a puppy food. When his BAT came back, the vet said to give him adult food because of the lower protein. He has been on Fromm 4 star and Earthborn Holistic small breed with some Fresh Pet.

#17 ·
A simple x-ray would have answered the question. It is not uncommon for toy breeds to:
1. Not have adult teeth
2. Have adult teeth that come in late
Both of these are usually genetic...but often breeders in the U.S. do not pay attention or even know what full dentition in a Maltese looks like. Neither is a big deal - baby teeth can be left if they are not loose and there is no adult tooth to come in.

#19 ·
So glad he came through the surgery fine. Can you talk to the vet with any questions when you pick Dewey up? Otherwise call the other vet tomorrow to discuss what's up. It might not be a big deal so have them clarify. There is AE calcium that could be added to his food.

#21 ·
I talked to Dewey's breeder and she said they typically lose their teeth between 5 and 9 months old and may have missing teeth. All of my other Malts, including Laurel did not have teeth that were lost past their spay or neuter. Laurel does have 2 missing teeth. The vet tech told me she carried Dewey around the office, so that everyone could smell him. She said he was the best smelling dog she had ever sniffed!! LOL He began howling in the cage and could 't believe that loud voice came from that little body! He ate ,drank and is resting now. I might have a peaceful evening!!

#26 ·
Dewey is very energetic, healthy , and he weighs 5 pounds!!! The vet thought he was so small, and wanted to know how big his parents were?????Laurel only weighs 6 pounds, and he never said she was small??

#28 ·
Well I'm so glad Dewey did so well and came out of the anesthesia so quickly! As for the calcium level, did he say it was actually off? And which way? Too high or too low? I'm wondering if the vet wasn't thinking 'ALL LIFE STAGES' food and was thinking he needed a puppy formula. Just a thought.

#30 ·
He was thinking the calcium was low because some of the second teeth haven't begun to come in yet, with baby teeth still there. I had blood work done, and everything was normal. After talking to Dewey's breeder, and her telling me some of her lose teeth between 5 and 9 months, I'm not worried. I made a mistake, about Dewey's weight, he weighs 4.8 not 5 pounds. He weighs exactly what Laurel weighed when she was spayed at 6 months. She weighs 6pounds now. He is back to his old self this morning, wild!!!!!!He ate like a little pig this morning!

#31 ·
I give all of my Maltese NuVet vitamins. It has extra calcium and is formulated to strengthen the immune system. Dewey is perfect with his weight..I think your vet must not see many Maltese that are within the standard.:HistericalSmiley: My vet says my girls are small, too...:HistericalSmiley:Eva is a year old, but I'm not sure she is up to 5 pounds...she might be. When I had her spayed at 8 months, she was 4.5...she is not skinny at all..she's always been kind of chunky..no worries about little Dewey.:wub:

#39 ·
Dewey weighs 4.8, the vet tech said around 5 pounds, but I looked at his paper work and it!'s 4.8. No I don't think they do see a lot of Maltese. I've taken 5 to these vets, but they were all bigger malts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.