Lisa can be a little too aggressive with Ozzie... - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)
Default Lisa can be a little too aggressive with Ozzie...

Hi all! I have a question for those of you with more than one fluff... now that Lisa is comfortable at home with us, I have been noticing that she is starting to get what I can only describe as "jealous" of Ozzie.. for instance, if Lisa is sitting by me on the couch and Ozzie wanders by underfoot (he likes to cruise down there for crumbs!) or jumps onto the couch with us, she sometimes "lunges" at him, which both startles and concerns me just because she does it SO fast!

I don't think she hurts Ozzie, I am not even sure she bites/nips at him when she does this, but it scares and startles him, and it concerns me for his well-being since she does it to his face (I am always concerned about their eyes now!!) and will sometimes do it to us but always with licking, which is cute but very scary when it's at your face!!

I will try to capture this on video, but I was wondering if there was a way to curb this behavior? Ozzie is very gentle, and is used to having Lisa around now, which is great, but now I feel that Lisa is TOO comfortable and is trying to be alpha and bully Ozzie around... I tell her "no" but usually she does it so fast that I'm saying it after the fact. I could try having Ozzie around while I do it...

Do you guys think this is play or jealousy/dominance? She certainly does it during play, but then Ozzie *knows* she's playing, which I think is better. But when it's out of nowhere, I become concerned. She also will whine/cry/growl at him if he comes on the couch when she is already there, mostly when she has her favorite chew toy..

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)

It definitely needs to be addressed. I can't be of any help to you, though...sorry! I do remember seeing this type of behavior on "It's Me or the Dog" show with Victoria Stillwell. It is probably her trying to claim you all to herself, she doesn't want to share. I bet JMM will have some tips for you on how to improve the resource guarding (with you and with her chew toys). I could be wrong, but I would assume the way to train would be if she growls/lunges at all, you stand up so she can't have you anymore. And with her toy/chew, if she does it, the toy/chew goes bye bye.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Courtney, a trainer could observe them and let you know if she is trying to play or is having resource problems. Tessa's trainer was fantastic - let me know if you want her contact info.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)
Unhappy

Maggie, that would be great! Lisa has become quite the handful... we are also having a really hard time dealing with her while we're both at work.

We kept her in the 2nd bedroom, and while sometimes she was good and used the wee pads, other times she was not so good... we got a large crate for her (just like the one we have for Ozzie; enough room for his bed, water, and a pad just in case) but she ripped the pad to shreds the first day:

then the 2nd day we took the pad out and she peed in the bed and all over herself..... We have gates, but are pretty certain she can escape them (Ozzie has before) and we don't really want to spend the money on a dog walker because all our extra income is going into Lisa... ::sigh::

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Courtney - sent you a PM. She currently has a puppy mill rescue of her own so knows a lot of what you're going through.
Advertisement