Major anxiety - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina
Default Major anxiety

I gave Babinka (major heart condition) a bath last night, and she had a small breathing episode...... I feel soo bad but she was really dirty what was I supposed to do. I called my vet just now and was told to just keep an eye on her. Any suggestions on how to keep Babinka clean and not to cause her to have a heart attack????????
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

How did you give her a bath?

Gus doesn't care how he is bathed, as long as I"m fast LOL

But with Grace - I have to fill up a big bucket of warm water before bringing her in. I also mix up her shampoo and conditioner with warm water before bath in 2 old water bottles. Then I use the water with the shampoo to wet her. and get all sudsy. Sometimes if she is seeming stressed I will do the shampoo and conditioner together (not great I know, but I do what is best for Grace).

Then I gently pour water over her with a little cup from the bucket.

It has cut down big time on stress for her in the bath. When Grace gets stressed, her liver symptoms act up. So though not as serious as your Babinka... I do understand about the stress

If Babinka gets really stressed - between baths, can you use wipes and sprays?

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I gave her a bath in the tub. Normally in the summer I will have two big buckets on the patio and do a quick bath in the sun. I feel like crap.... I should have gone into the bath tub with her! I am scared of using wipes and sprays because if she licks it, what can that do to her insides and say if it conterreacts with her two meds that she is taking.............. God I feel like crap!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Did it sound at all like reverse sneezing --- that thing with their breathing where it sounds like they can't breathe at all and are struggling? Tyler had that happen once in the bath and I think it was because some water dripped down his nose. I'm just a lot more careful washing his face in the bath now and do more of a sponge bath to his face and make sure to hold his head facing down when I rinse.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

no it was after the bath and her mouth was opened makeing a heee heee noise. I checked her gums and they were pale ........:-(
Old 11-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

She did bounce back, after I gave her bachs resuce remedy......but still I feel like a big bag of dirt
Old 11-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I can understand your wanting to give her a bath...so don't be angry at yourself. There is a waterless, no rinse shampoo made by Bio-Groom. It comes in a spray bottle and you just spray the fur and rub it in and dry them off. I just ordered it 2 weeks ago and have not used it yet but some people here on SM use it and like it. Maybe you can give it a try and cut down on actually baths you give her.
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Please don't be hard on yourself. You felt like she needed one and I bet she'll feel so much better now that she's all clean and maybe have a good nap. Next time, maybe put down a rubber mat or something so she'll feel more secure without sliding. I would probably save her face for last or just not do it at all in the bath, but save it for afterward and wrap her body in a towel to keep her warm. Then, wash her face with a washcloth. Talking soothingly to her the whole time you're bathing her and try not to do it so fast that it scares her and ends up getting water all in her face while she's moving around to try to get out. Also, continue to softly & slowly massage her with one hand while you're washing/rinsing with the other. Of course, make sure it's warm where the bath is taking place and that the water is not too warm or too cool. If all else fails, get on in that bathtub and hold her close while you bathe her. Some dogs are afraid of the sound of water running so close to them, whether it's the sprayer in the sink or handheld shower head. If yours is, I would use a cup to rinse with. Since I don't know how you bathed her, these are just some suggestions. Now to follow my own advise, I'm off to give Miss Leila a bath too. She's still not used to them, so please wish me luck!

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

I don't have anything to add, I just wanted to give you a hug *Hugs*
Old 11-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thanks for the advise and hugs....!!!! I have done alot of diffrent techniques for bathings but she hates the water. I sing, have spa music on, gotten in the bathtub with her, I am starting to hate bath time.I dont want her to die! I am scared of the sprays cause of chemicals or the reaction that she might have. I am having major anxiety and being at work is making it worse. she is ok is she not? bath times are bad times :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement