Where do you keep your fluff when you're gone? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)
ipf4 Where do you keep your fluff when you're gone?

I know this is probably a tired topic, but I did some searching and just found info on potty training, not pottying while left home alone. My issue with Lisa is that she HATES being confined, but me and my bf both work. My bf leaves for work around 2:30ish and I don't get home til 5:30ish or 9:30ish, depending on the day (I work 2 PT jobs so my hours vary as do his during busy OT season).

When we gate her in the 2nd bedroom during feeding time, she cries and claws/bites the gate. For this reason, we don't want to simply gate her somewhere for fear she will hurt herself or get out (Ozzie has figured out how to jump over the gates). I also think an xpen would be too flimsy for Lisa and she would claw/chew on it and either escape or hurt herself. Though I know almost all of you swear by them, so it is definitely an option.

For Ozzie, we got him a large dog crate so he could have his bed, toys, water, and just enough room for a pee pad just in case. He does great in it and has only gone in there a few times and it was while he was sick.

We tried this with Lisa, and this is what happened the first day:

The only other option I can think of is shutting her in the bathroom with a pad and hoping she doesn't shred it too... but I think she will :-/ She does have a fair bit of separation anxiety, but seems to quiet down after ignoring her for awhile. However, she obviously will eat a pad if confined with it....! The next day, we took out the pad and she peed on the pad and sat in it, resulting in a pee-soaked bottom!!!! Any suggestions are welcome, please help!!!

Last edited by CorkieYorkie; 11-16-2012 at 05:16 PM.
CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

We got a Ugodog and it has worked great with pad chewing, wanting to sleep on the pad, wanting to play with the pad etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

I got one of those octagonal play yards that are really for toddlers. My hubby put a tarp under it. It is big enough for two potty pads, an area for her food/water, toys, bed, and crate. I've bought a couple of those pad holders, except not the kind with the grate in it, but Leila still sometimes pulls the pads out or either won't use the bathroom on them. I may pull them out again and see if she'll use them.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brenda
Dog's Name: Jodi

I can't really tell how big the crate is but it looks a little small. I think I'd try the bathroom with a gate so she doesn't feel so closed in (rather than shutting the door). What about those trays for the pee pads, or a cloth one....can it be taped to the floor - would that help? or would she just eat the tape too?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

We are going to try a washable pee pad... i feel like taping it would just result in her scratching it off the floor bathroom seems to be the next step, but when she's gated in the 2nd bedroom, she scratches/bites it relentlessly and that is when we are HOME...

The crate is for a large dog and fits their bed and a pad. I'm pretty certain that even if we left Lisa in an xpen, she would tear up the pads and pee on the carpet (we don't have enough room in our apt for an xpen in the kitchen).

Old 11-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Ozzie does great in his crate while we're gone. He just sleeps in his bed with his toys and holds it til I get home. He also goes in there on his own to snooze.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Grace
Dog's Name: Daisy

Aww Courtney not sure how I could help you. I agree with others if she doesn't liked to be penned in use bathroom and maybe out baby gate or something at the door so you could leave the door open? What about a doggy version of a cat litter tray do you think that would work. Hope you get some answersxx
WeeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Maxwell, and Henry, (and Buddy and Bunnie too), Grendel, Molly and Bunny in heaven

Hi Courtney! It can take a while to figure out the best system.
When Daisy was little we used the fabric style crate. It has a fabric bottom. We would put fabric pee pads in the bottom, but if she moved them it was okay because we could just clean up the bottom of the crate. There was room for her bed, a little area for toys, and a pee pad. The washable ones are good - don't want her eating those chemicals in the disposable ones! Yuck! Or choking on them if you are not home.
Here is the one I bought from Amazon. Not expensive, and it folds up easily to move out of the way or from room to room.
Amazon.com: Best Pet Folding Play Pen - Medium - Pink: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Best Pet Folding Play Pen - Medium - Pink: Pet Supplies
Since it is all fabric, it seems safer. There is a top that you can zipper on or leave off.
The only problem we had is that she would chew at the zipper area so we had to be sure the zippers were all the way at the top.

Hope this helps a little.

Daisy and Max and Henry
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

There is a pen made for toddlers , it is very strong and sturdy, and high enough that they can't jump out! You can buy extra panels for it. It isvheavier than the Iris xpen. This was the only pen that Hardy couldn't get out of. Walmart sells them.

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Here is a link to it.

North State Superyard XT Portable Playard - Walmart.com
I think it!s safe, the holes are smaller, so paws don't get stuck and higher than a dog x pen.

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement