We're on the way to the vets!! - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Deb, sorry to hear...I agree with Sue as I also had an issue with HGE and blood in stool. I am sure he will be okay. Please keep us posted. Hugs to you and Dewey.
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

We're back. The vet said his GI tract was messed up. She gave him a shot of an antibiotic, an anti nausea shot and sent me home with Metronidazole to give him in a hour. they also injected fluids under the skin. The vet seems to think this all may be stress related. The anesthetic they used for his neuter was one the quickly leaves the system. She doesn't think it was that. She also gave me a can of GI restore food to give him later on today. The vet is on call all week end, so if we need her, we can get a hold of her. She thought Dewey would probably sleep most of the day, we'll see. So that's it, and I swear, he's going to make me have a nervous break down!! LOL

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Lucky

Thank goodness he is doing better. He has been a little handful for you. Stress can have terrible effects on us and our little ones. Make sure to take care of yourself too - all this stress in such a short time is no good for you.
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
We're back. The vet said his GI tract was messed up. She gave him a shot of an antibiotic, an anti nausea shot and sent me home with Metronidazole to give him in a hour. they also injected fluids under the skin. The vet seems to think this all may be stress related. The anesthetic they used for his neuter was one the quickly leaves the system. She doesn't think it was that. She also gave me a can of GI restore food to give him later on today. The vet is on call all week end, so if we need her, we can get a hold of her. She thought Dewey would probably sleep most of the day, we'll see. So that's it, and I swear, he's going to make me have a nervous break down!! LOL
Glad it isn't anything too serious. I know some humans get very nauseous from anesthesia. Dewey has asymptomatic MVD, doesn't he? Maybe the anesthesia didn't leave his body as quickly as it normally does.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Just a quick posting here for the newbies---HGE is not something that normally occurs w/surgery or shortly thereafter. It is an entity unto itself & is quite serious w/very overt and bright bleeding from the rectum. The cause is actually unknown although it has in rare cases been located in particular geographical locations (sort of cluster like). It comes very quickly and needs quick treatment w/antibiotics and fluids (as does other intestinal bleeding)---and if treated correctly & promptly is almost always successfully treated.
There are many reasons for blood in the stool & I would not think most of them from HGE. JMHO
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"

Last edited by edelweiss; 11-17-2012 at 11:10 AM.
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Good Dewey is back and ok !!!~! )
aksm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I'm so glad you took Dewey in... I was worrying over him.

I hope the antibiotics and fluids help him out.

I remember the worry and stress from Gussy's neuter complications. So try to get some rest, yourself. Try to keep him quiet... maybe put him in a sling or bag and carry him around if needed.

Dewey -- you rest for a few days and listen to your mommy!

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

He's resting now, and when he's better and being wild, I'm not going to complain! I love him so!!

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Oh that poor baby! The photo speaks volumes!
Hey Dewey, Lisi sends you lots of barks & nudges & promises if you don't get better soon, she is planning on coming over to sing for you! and you really don't want that, Dewey!
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
Oh no Deb. Tyler has some gastro issues after his neuter -- diarrhea, a little blood in his stool, some vomiting, etc for a few days. I'm pretty sure it was HGE. He even needed a shot to re-hydrate him. They think it was from the anesthesia or stress. She changed his anesthesia for his dentals and he's been fine. Hope Dewey's okay. Sending prayers.
Ok I really and truly don't think what Tyler had was HGE. He's a sensitive one like my Jett and Benny. I truly think it was stress induced colitis or IBS. Very typical with the very sensitive ones.

Please...anyone who has a baby who is needing to be under a general for a procedure...this will not cause HGE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
I'm glad he's home and you can try to get your own emotions back to a normal level. Too much stress for everyone. I'm always in knots when one of mine has to go under a general...let alone gets sick with vomiting and/or diarrhea. When Jett was so sick with IBS, we had to do sub q fluids until I learned to syringe a tsp. of unflavored Pedialyte into his mouth when he was having his vomiting and bloody, massive diarrhea episodes. If you're comfortable feeding the GI Restore food, please do and know it will help. Basically because of the ingredients, it turns into kind of a wall paper paste type consistency and that's why it stops the diarrhea. But you could also go out and get a canned limited diet food, something with sweet potato like Venison and Sweet Potato (the only 2 ingredients plus the vitamins and minerals) and if you have a specialty pet boutique close that carries Animal Essentials, give him 1/4 tsp Phytomucil Powder once a day for about 30 days. I promise this will not only stop the bloody diarrhea, but will actually help to heal his GI tract. And when he's been off the antibiotic (Metronidazole), start giving him Probiotics. Works like a charm for IBS, stress induced colitis and IBD when people follow this protocol without adding or taking away from it. Sometimes if the IBS or IBD is in the upper GI tract, you have to use the Phytomucil Tincture instead of the powder or along with the powder.
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement