Barking Help Please! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Barking Help Please!

I have an 8 month old maltese boy who I am in love with. Great puppy, house broke, loving, makes my life complete, kids love him. At night he sleeps with me and my husband in our bed. (i know spoiled but I luv it). When it is quiet and he is trying to go to sleep or when he is totally asleep in the night - if he hears a noise down the hall - kids, TV, whatever he will sit right up and bark. Well when you are half asleep and he does it 5 or 6 times it can get annoying for my husband. Is there something I can do to deterr that behavior? I say very firmly NO and then he will change to a grumble or bark under his breath which is fine but then the next night we are back to the high pitched bark all over again. It doesn't bother me that much but it bothers husband and he says he may have to sleep in his crate. But that would break my heart. Please help. Is there a technique I can use? Thank you - Brody's mom
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Grace is very vocal. And barking started to be a problem when she was about 16 weeks. And yeah... it's such a LOUD bark, isn't it??

I taught her "speak" and "quiet". I'm working on "whisper" with her because she does a quiet "boof" that is adorable LOL

I taught speak first. And tried to ignore any barking in between. During training sessions we'd do "speak" for a few minutes, then something she already knew to put a break in, then work on "speak" again.

After a few days she understood it..... and then I started asking her to speak and then I'd say "quiet" between one of her bark breaks (literally seconds) and click and treat.

Eventually I started waiting a few more seconds after saying quiet... if she stayed quiet and didn't bark, click and treat. If she barked, I'd say, "Uh oh!" then restart.

sorry if I'm horrible and explaining this via writing LOL Sometimes my brain doesn't work great.

"Speak" and "quiet" have saved our ears tho.... It's the easiest way to teach a dog quiet.

Because right now your little guy doesn't understand what "NO" and "quiet" mean... he is just doing what he thinks is his job. So show him what barking (speak) means

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Linda
Dog's Name: Lexi (adopted) Cassidy (Bonnie's Angel)

Lexi is such a barker and it was getting worse - I had a dog trainer come in as we just got another puppy (not a maltese). Cassidy was NEVER a barker but was starting to pick up Lexi's habit - we were going crazy.

She mentioned the "No" Can - place 3 marbles inside an empty soda can - pull the tab off the top and use duck tape to cover the top - when Lexi starts to bark, I shake the can and say "No Bark" she immediately stops barking - we are completely amazed as now when she goes to bark she looks at us first, then turns her head and no bark. Cassidy has gone back to being the quiet dog he always was. The first night I tried it was Halloween and I thought oh this is not going to work - but it really did --
LexiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

I bought a Sonic Egg at PetSmart last Spring to see if it would keep the next door dogs from barking every time I go outside to my pool. It really worked! If my Lab, Kaylee, even starts to look like she's going to bark, I just show her the egg or hang it on the doorknob and she immediately stops.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)

I use a can too, with Ozzie when he jumps and barks at the TV when something furry comes on screen!! Lisa does this too in bed when my bf and his friend that was visiting were up this morning (and I was sleeping in LOL) but usually it's just us and we have no kids, so there aren't other noises...

I know this may not be ideal, but have you ever considered not having her sleep in bed with you? We visited a trainer today that said any unwanted dominant behavior could stem from sleeping in bed with us... not sure I am going to take his advice though...

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement