Jack does not like kids! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Laurie
Dog's Name: My Triple Threat - Lily, Addie, Jackson, Luci Mae at the bridge
Default Jack does not like kids!

So, we have learned that little Jack does not like young kids. A little girl came to the door selling something and she bent down to pet Addie and before DH knew it Jack went after the girl. He nipped her pants leg. Then on Saturday a couple of boys were running a remote controlled car in front of our house. They were kind of pestering the pups with it, I asked them to stop. I guess Jack remembered cause the next day, the kid tried to come see him and Jack jumped up and bit him in the crotch. Fortunately, again he just got his pants. Adults and older kids don't serm to cause this aggression. I'm not aware of any incident that has caused him to be scared or defensive. Can't you see the news story now..viscious dog attack..5lb maltese wanted.
ladodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Jasper;Dusty&Ozzy; Alvin,Winston&Angel waiting at the Bridge

My little Alvin was like that with kids too. He would bite the plantation blinds in pure frustration at them playing outside. Funny though, he love his kids who were 3 and 6 when we got him. Little boys used to come to my house to play with my sons and stick their little heads in timidly and say, "Miss Laura, can you get Alvin so I can I can run down to the basement?" He would chase them all over the house snipping at them. One of my oldest son's friends was talking about it the other day while petting calm Dusty. He was scared to death of Alvin, up until Alvin's death!b The kid was 15 then!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose, Lily, & Eva

Mine are terrified of young children.. I do not let my girls "answer" the door..they stay gated in the family room..glad little Jack didn't do any damage to the little people..
Old 11-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Gosh - that's such a shame. Tyler loves kids, big and little. He never met a person he didn't like. We have a little screaming (screeching) 2.5 year old living in the apt next to ours and Tyler doesn't even freak from him. He runs a little and then comes back to play with him.
I would try to get help to change Jack's reactions. It's lucky he didn't hurt either of the kids but that could have been luck at this point. I would work with a behaviorist or trainer to sort it out and work on changing it.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

Pipper LOVES kids. Probably because he's always been around young kids. My grandchildren are ages 7, 2 1/2, and 2 1/2 months and he loves everyone of them.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

pippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

My three are so so. when kids are around I tell them to crouch down a bit further away and hold out their hands that way the three can smell and ensure that they are not enimies :-)
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
I would try to get help to change Jack's reactions. It's lucky he didn't hurt either of the kids but that could have been luck at this point. I would work with a behaviorist or trainer to sort it out and work on changing it.
I agree with Sue. This is very serious behavior which needs to be dealt with before a child is injured. You were very lucky neither bite broke the skin. Even a little Maltese can do serious damage to a child's face. If it had, doctors are required by law to report the bite to the state. Dogs with bites on their record risk mandatory euthanasia. You also could face a lawsuit if a child is bitten.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Sophie

Sophie loves EVERYBODY. I have never met a more friendly pup. Though she's my first non-rescue. But I take her to work with me everyday with a 4 year old and a 2 1/2 year old. They love her to bits and are so careful with her. But they do get high energy right after meals, so during that time she's in her xpen

AshleyAndSophiePup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Laurie
Dog's Name: My Triple Threat - Lily, Addie, Jackson, Luci Mae at the bridge

I really think Jack felt threathened. If I had been present I would have put him in sit and asked the kids to crouch and let him sniff them. I don't think he means to be viscous, but I won't take any chances. I will talk with the trainer that we used a few months back. At that time she had wanted me to continue his training as she thought he could get the CGC.
ladodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

All of mine have been around Rosslyn and some siblings of the infants that I care for. They all love kids! The kids will sit on the floor and get smothered with kisses until they can't stand it!!LOL!! I had a male that was as gentle as they come, but he wasn't crazy about kids either. I think, like Jack he felt threatened or intimidated by them.

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement