Upset Stomach - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Upset Stomach

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone here has an opinion on my pup. We took our dog to the emergency hospital yesterday because he has diarrhea and had vomited 6-7 times in 24 hours. They took x-rays and found nothing, they treated him for dehydration and prescribed Sulcrate and Metronidazole. He hasn't puked in more than 24 hours now, he had one bowel movement today and it was still pretty runny. He has had a little bit to drink but has had no appetite at all today. He's been pretty tired all day, but he's also the type of dog that after a vigorous play session with one of his friends, sleeps most of the next day anyway, so I'm not too concerned about him being tired today especially after being sick all weekend and being at the animal hospital most of the night. I was told to feed him chicken and white rice, but he's not interested in that, I offered him a little piece of one of his special treats and his tail wagged and he got excited but he didn't eat it until a few hours later, the vet said it would be ok if he refused all other food. That's pretty much all he's eaten today. Should I be worried about giving the meds to him on an empty stomach? I said I'm not concerned about him being tired today because of past experience, but do you think I should be worried? Is Diarrhea the next day something to be concerned about? Anyone have experience with Sulcrate and Metronidazole? He's just over a year old and weighs 4.2kg's.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Clifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

How old is Clifford?

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

I just went through that with my 6 month old male. He had been neutered two days before getting sick. The day of the vet visit he got a shot for nausea and fluid injected under the skin and I had meds to give him for the diarrhea. It took about a day and a half for him to bounce back. He nibbled on a canned food the vet gave me that contained chicken and rice. Hope your fluff feels better soon! Yes Dewey slept the entire day.

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

Sucralfate is ideal given on an empty stomach. It actually coats and soothes the stomach. The metronidazole doesn't really matter. If he's not eating by tomorrow I'd recheck with your regular vet.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I agree that if he still isn't eating tomorrow you should call the vet or bring him to your regular vet. Hope he feels better. Please keep us posted.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Jo
Dog's Name: Chouchou

My little Chouchou suffered miserably with sickness & diarrhea. She'd try desperately to get to the back door but couldn't make it. She had to have an injection from the vet & anti biotics. She didn't fair too well on the chicken & rice but I put her on the vet's food that promises to stop all this & it really did. She's had no trouble since. Maltese have delicate tummies so you have to be really careful what you feed them.
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement