A really interesting and informative discussion on tear stains. - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci

I am SO glad you posted this link. Although, I must say that I am still PETRIFIED to use anything for Gucci's staining. I have been giving her probiotics daily and washing her face with Spa Lavish. I've even used corn starch to keep her dry. I just ordered a water bottle for her to drink out of, since she has been using a bowl. I give her distilled water, but she's still dripping wet when she drinks, so I think the bottle will be better.
I am sure part of it is that she's teething, so I'm not going to mess with Angels Eyes now, but if it never gets better, I will have to look into it.
I just know that when *I* was sick and had to take multiple doses of antibiotics, it REALLY messed with my body. I had to take probiotics but it was never "the same". I would never want to do that to Gucci.
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianna82 View Post
I am SO glad you posted this link. Although, I must say that I am still PETRIFIED to use anything for Gucci's staining. I have been giving her probiotics daily and washing her face with Spa Lavish. I've even used corn starch to keep her dry. I just ordered a water bottle for her to drink out of, since she has been using a bowl. I give her distilled water, but she's still dripping wet when she drinks, so I think the bottle will be better.
I am sure part of it is that she's teething, so I'm not going to mess with Angels Eyes now, but if it never gets better, I will have to look into it.
I just know that when *I* was sick and had to take multiple doses of antibiotics, it REALLY messed with my body. I had to take probiotics but it was never "the same". I would never want to do that to Gucci.
Hang in there until Gucci is finished teething, Anna. That may account for some of her tear staining. Sometimes Maltese have eye irregularities (eyelashes growing inward, small tear ducts, etc.) that can be corrected by an ophthalmologist.

Did you see Gucci's parents? Genetics also play a big part in tear staining. Both Bailey's mom and dad have beautiful white faces and he does, too. He never had any tear staining while he was teething.

Bailey's dad is pure Villa Malta and he has the more traditional Maltese face. I've heard that the popular "baby doll" faces with the shorter muzzles tend to tear more. Not sure if this is true or not, though.

I am very lazy about cleaning Bailey's face, too. I comb the eye boogers out every day, but if I remember to wash his face once in between baths I'm doing good!
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

I love these types of discussions. I think the following link is EXCELLENT info written by a vet. It clarifies the role of pityrosporum yeast and bacteria and how the misnomer of the name Ptyrosporin came about.

A Veterinary Guide to Tear Stains

Vets may vary in opinions on solutions but I think it addresses a lot of good background info!

Last edited by hoaloha; 11-20-2012 at 02:32 PM.
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoaloha View Post
I love these types of discussions. I think the following link is EXCELLENT info written by a vet. It clarifies the role of pityrosporum yeast and bacteria and how the misnomer of the name Ptyrosporin came about.

Vets may vary in opinions on solutions but I think it addresses a lot of good background info!
That was an excellent article. It answered questions I have been trying to find the answer to for years. Thank you, Marisa.

Everybody should read the article Marisa posted.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:

Excellent article!

I do differ with the author on one point. You should never give Tums for tear staining. Tums are calcium supplements and will disrupt the critical calcium to phosphorus ratio of a commercial diet.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
I used Angel Eyes for one bottle and it really helped with MiMi's tear stains. I vowed to only use the one bottle. Two months later her face staining is worse than ever, you might notice that I haven't posted pictures of her for a long time. So, now even the hair around her mouth and under her chin is pink. I am at my wits end. I thought about going back to Angel Eyes, but first wanted to do more research. I found this forum discussion which really told me more about yeast staining than I have heard before.
I thought you might be interested.

Tear staining, a Real solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
Sylvia, you know how bad Laurel's tear stain were. She has none now. I did the .angel eyes, before we saw the opthamologist at OSU. He gave the OK to use it. He also irrigated her tear ducts, which I believe now has helped keep the tear stains away.I still have a bottle of it, and if I need it, I'll use it .
Deb & (Sylvia, I'm so sorry Mimi's staining came back, how disappointing for you).
When I got Sammie & his brother (who is at the bridge) as puppies sammies brother had really horrible staining but Sammie has never had any. When I found out his brother had shunts I figured that caused them. so I fig Sammie would not get them-he has more in allergy seasons.
Did laurel or Mimi have them from a puppy or develop them later on?
Thanks!

Last edited by SammieMom; 11-20-2012 at 03:53 PM.
SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieMom View Post
Deb & (Sylvia, I'm so sorry Mimi's staining came back, how disappointing for you).
When I got Sammie & his brother (who is at the bridge) as puppies sammies brother had really horrible staining but Sammie has never had any. When I found out his brother had shunts I figured that caused them. so I fig Sammie would not get them-he has more in allergy seasons.
Did laurel or Mimi have them from a puppy or develop them later on?
Thanks!
MiMi has always had a little staining, it was just a streak under the eyes. However, lately it has gotten worse and is on her hair under her mouth as well. I give them filtered water, but I think I am going to switch to distilled and see if it helps. It seems we do have a lot of minerals in our water.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #28 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Laurel had them as a puppy, and just got worse. From the author's point of view , Laurel must of had a bacterial infection. Washing her face twice a day, (even with spa lavish) once a day, using bottled water, stainless steel bowl, did not help at all!! Her hair was cut regularly and you could see the stains beginning right away.I've been using Bio Groom to wash their faces daily, before that I used a sterile Saline solution to wipe her eyes.

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #29 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
MiMi has always had a little staining, it was just a streak under the eyes. However, lately it has gotten worse and is on her hair under her mouth as well. I give them filtered water, but I think I am going to switch to distilled and see if it helps. It seems we do have a lot of minerals in our water.
Thank You! So she didn't have bad staining as a puppy. One my puppies was so bad you couldn't even get ahead of it. Now I know why from the articles posted. I give only bottled water, but not distilled. I comb and either wash or use the waterless shampoo on their faces most every night, and dry it with a towel real good. With all the stuff I can't control, I want to try and prevent this problem if that's even possible. I'm still reading the article from Marisa. I'm thinking all the things I thought before like the grains/sweet potatoes and diff things causing it is all wrong - esp now that I read the articles here today.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #30 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
Bailey's dad is pure Villa Malta and he has the more traditional Maltese face. I've heard that the popular "baby doll" faces with the shorter muzzles tend to tear more. Not sure if this is true or not, though.
Quote:

Unfortunately in my case it seems to be the opposite. I have 4 with the more moderate muzzles and they are the ones that i'm having a terrible time with with staining. Noelle never had a problem staining not even during teething and then there's Kelly who has a much shorter muzzle and doesn't really have a problem with staining. I've heard that the pollen has been much worse and allergies have been worse these past years, so i think it's allergies with my crew.

What a great article Marisa! I noticed that in the article that there were 2 natural supplements suggested. My friend has a maltese that looked like Laurel with the tear staining and she is dead set against using antibiotics unless absolutely necessary for infections but not tear staining. She used the NaturVet Tear Stain Supplement with fantastic results, her boy Sonny now has a sparkling white face.
Amazon.com: NaturVet Tear Stain Powder Dog & Cat Supplement: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: NaturVet Tear Stain Powder Dog & Cat Supplement: Pet Supplies
I have also read somewhere not to put cornstarch on the face if it's a yeast because the yeast will feed off of it, to use Boric Acid instead.