A really interesting and informative discussion on tear stains. - Page 4 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #31 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post
If the tear staining is from yeast the antibiotic won't help it. In fact, it may make it worse. It may make it clear up and then come back worse than ever.

Maybe trying to treat the yeast would be best.

Grapefruit Seed Extract is safe for dogs. I use it for my own yeast (antibiotics - lyme disease).... It works great. You can put a drop or two in her water each day.

Probiotics are great

Apple Cider Vinegar is great. But dogs tend not to like it. I mix it in Gus and Grace's food - about 1/2 tsp per day.

Pats for Mimi
Oh just be careful on adding things like Apple Cider Vinegar, raw vinegar, etc.... because it changes the ph balance of the urine. Having the wrong ph balance in the urine can cause crystals and even stones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoaloha View Post
I love these types of discussions. I think the following link is EXCELLENT info written by a vet. It clarifies the role of pityrosporum yeast and bacteria and how the misnomer of the name Ptyrosporin came about.

A Veterinary Guide to Tear Stains

Vets may vary in opinions on solutions but I think it addresses a lot of good background info!
LOVE the article Marissa! With the exception of Bonus Step #7. I think this can have potential harmful effects. But I love that it supports what I've been saying all along that Angel Eyes has been banned in almost every other country and that it can lead to bacterial resistance. Who doesn't like to feel validated every once in awhile! I can't state how much I hate the use of Angel Eyes because it's just too easy to continue to use when stains start to show up again, just like the OP stated.

I always have to restrain a *sigh* or *eye roll* when someone comes on here claiming to have the cure all for tear staining. Bottom line is there is no ONE cure for every situation, which is really too bad. I would LOVE to have the cure all for tear staining. I'd be an independently wealthy woman if such a thing existed and I had it!
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #32 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)

There are just so many different possibilities on why dogs get tear stains. I think after ruling out eye deformities such as eyelashes growing inward, blocked/too small tear ducts, or eye shape, it is most likely environmental allergies or irritants in the majority of cases. When you think about how they are always so close to the ground (where dust, pollen, and other irritants settle) it makes sense.

I would have just purchased Tylosin instead of the Angel Eyes. It has a very bitter taste so I used to just mix it in with a 1/2tsp of unsweetened applesauce or plain greek yogurt. But that way you're not getting a random dosage of the antibiotic each time since Angel Eyes is Tylosin mixed with (is it beef or chicken liver or something like that?) to make it taste better.

London & Preston both used to be ice white. A few years ago each November London started getting tear stains on her face and also on her feet from licking. We did get it cleared up, but now she has it almost year round so I really think it is allergies or some sort of irritant in her case. Preston tears a LOT so I think that is where his staining comes from...just his eyes draining so much. I may try allergy medication on London but I really don't want to give them something that either won't help them or they don't really need. In Preston's case I feel it's purely cosmetic. I have chosen to just let it go and not fight with it nonstop (unless I feel it is due to some medical reason).
Old 11-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #33 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal&Zoe View Post
Oh just be careful on adding things like Apple Cider Vinegar, raw vinegar, etc.... because it changes the ph balance of the urine. Having the wrong ph balance in the urine can cause crystals and even stones.

LOVE the article Marissa! With the exception of Bonus Step #7. I think this can have potential harmful effects. But I love that it supports what I've been saying all along that Angel Eyes has been banned in almost every other country and that it can lead to bacterial resistance. Who doesn't like to feel validated every once in awhile! I can't state how much I hate the use of Angel Eyes because it's just too easy to continue to use when stains start to show up again, just like the OP stated.

I always have to restrain a *sigh* or *eye roll* when someone comes on here claiming to have the cure all for tear staining. Bottom line is there is no ONE cure for every situation, which is really too bad. I would LOVE to have the cure all for tear staining. I'd be an independently wealthy woman if such a thing existed and I had it!
Come on Crystal I know you DO have the cure. Look at your beautiful babies' clean white faces.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #34 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal&Zoe View Post

I agree. Bonus Step #7 is potentially harmful as it can upset the calcium to phosphorus balance (Tums) and urine pH (apple cider vinegar), but the rest of the article is right on.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #35 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
I agree. Bonus Step #7 is potentially harmful as it can upset the calcium to phosphorus balance (Tums) and urine pH (apple cider vinegar), but the rest of the article is right on.
The author of the article did call BS on number 7. I agree. Total BS>
Old 11-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #36 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
Laurel had them as a puppy, and just got worse. From the author's point of view , Laurel must of had a bacterial infection. Washing her face twice a day, (even with spa lavish) once a day, using bottled water, stainless steel bowl, did not help at all!! Her hair was cut regularly and you could see the stains beginning right away.I've been using Bio Groom to wash their faces daily, before that I used a sterile Saline solution to wipe her eyes.
Did you try a grain free food in conjunction with dairy free probiotics (not yogurt since many dogs will actually tear more with dairy in their system and btw many probiotics on the market have dairy in them, possibly listed as whey) and fish oil? Some people even need to throw in some cold pressed virgin coconut oil into this to finally get some results. It by no way is a 100% cure all since each dog and reason for staining is different. I just have found with the greatest majority of dogs that keeping the inflammation down in the body helps with excess tearing. Of course all of this in conjunction with everything you mentioned...daily or twice daily face washes, (I really don't think it matters what shampoo you use as long as it's not drying to your particular dogs hair and skin. I have been using Pure Paws No Rinse for over 3 years now and find it very moisturizing. I do rinse it out since I use it once or twice a day. But I've just recently seen where others posted they found it drying.), filtered water, stainless steel or ceramic bowls, etc...

Although I do disagree with most vets and groomers theories of cutting the hair away from the eyes. My experience is to let it grow out. When you cut those hairs and then they start to grow, they stick up all over the place and have the potential of getting into their eyes more and causing more of a eye irritation and tearing.

Out of my 3, Callie is the one with most tearing. There is something growing in the back courtyard at the store that causes her to tear. She doesn't do this on our days off at home. So even though staining is minimal, I'm going to try the liquid vitamin C topically to see if it will actually lighten the staining. I'm really curious about that. I do agree that the old M.O.M. method of lightening stains does help, but I also think it really sets the remaining staining in even more. And talk about drying!

And I really need to take a Language Arts refresher course. Geeze I for the life of me can't seem to write out my thoughts coherently without run on sentences and improper use of parenthesis!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #37 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

No I didn't try the grain free food with a dairy free probiotics. I really had no knowledge about it. Laurel is tear stain free now and has been since the Angel Eyes and her trip to the opthomolgist . I just wash her face and dry it. If she starts to have tear stains again, I'll go with your suggestion. Thanks!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #38 (permalink)

Hi everybody! My name is Dr. Greg Magnusson, I'm the author of The Veterinary Guide to Tear Stains mentioned a few posts back. I noticed a few of you were coming to my site to read the article, and wanted to stop in and say THANKS!

Also, I edited "Bonus Step 7" to make it more clear that I think adding Tums or Vinegar to a dog's diet will make no difference at all to their tear stain production. Glad to see you all agree with my logic!

Thank you for the kind words on my blog post. I worked hard on that one!
IndianapolisVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #39 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Welcome, nice of you to drop in! I loved your writing style, very personable!!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #40 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianapolisVet View Post
Hi everybody! My name is Dr. Greg Magnusson, I'm the author of The Veterinary Guide to Tear Stains mentioned a few posts back. I noticed a few of you were coming to my site to read the article, and wanted to stop in and say THANKS!

Also, I edited "Bonus Step 7" to make it more clear that I think adding Tums or Vinegar to a dog's diet will make no difference at all to their tear stain production. Glad to see you all agree with my logic!

Thank you for the kind words on my blog post. I worked hard on that one!

Well now this is a nice surprise! Welcome to SM! Truly do appreciate your article. Too bad Indy is too far of a drive for me. I'm in desperate need of a good vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement