A really interesting and informative discussion on tear stains. - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums


SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Sylie's Avatar
 
Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Windsor, CA
Posts: 8,441
Default A really interesting and informative discussion on tear stains.

I used Angel Eyes for one bottle and it really helped with MiMi's tear stains. I vowed to only use the one bottle. Two months later her face staining is worse than ever, you might notice that I haven't posted pictures of her for a long time. So, now even the hair around her mouth and under her chin is pink. I am at my wits end. I thought about going back to Angel Eyes, but first wanted to do more research. I found this forum discussion which really told me more about yeast staining than I have heard before.
I thought you might be interested.

Tear staining, a Real solution
__________________
MiMi & Sylvie
Sylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
maltese manica's Avatar
 
Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka, Peppino and Tiny Tina
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 4,420
Default

I heard that angel eyes have medication of some sort. And long term use can cause liver problems. My mom was using this for her dogs but stopped, because of what the vet told her. As well I know a couple of stores here that refuse to sell the stuff. My vet was saying probiotics help with tear staining. I dont think Mimi would ever look bad she is sooooo cute
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Sylie's Avatar
 
Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Windsor, CA
Posts: 8,441
Default

There is so much conflicting information. Read the article which presents different views and decide for yourself. I used to be totally against it, but have mixed feelings now. Well, I just bought some. I have done everything else...everything else.
__________________
MiMi & Sylvie
Sylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Furbabies mom's Avatar
 
Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 12,163
Default

Sylvia, you know how bad Laurel's tear stain were. She has none now. I did the .angel eyes, before we saw the opthamologist at OSU. He gave the OK to use it. He also irrigated her tear ducts, which I believe now has helped keep the tear stains away.I still have a bottle of it, and if I need it, I'll use it .
__________________
Deborah and my Fluffs, Laurel, Violet , Hardy and Dewey!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru


 
Ladysmom's Avatar
 
Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 17,658
Default

Have you seen this article from Marvista Vets? I think the discussion you posted may be based upon this article.

Tylosin

I have been fortunate that Lady and now Bailey don't have a real issue with tear staining. I use purified or distilled water, faithfully remove "eye boogers" with a mustache comb every day and wipe the area with Spa Lavish on a warm washcloth daily. Environmental irritants seem to affect tearing with them more than anything else. I have air purifiers in every room which really seem to help.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Sylie's Avatar
 
Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Windsor, CA
Posts: 8,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
Sylvia, you know how bad Laurel's tear stain were. She has none now. I did the .angel eyes, before we saw the opthamologist at OSU. He gave the OK to use it. He also irrigated her tear ducts, which I believe now has helped keep the tear stains away.I still have a bottle of it, and if I need it, I'll use it .
It was because of your good results that I first gave it a try. It worked. If it were only tear stains, I would not be as upset, but the stains on her beard totally indicate a yeast over growth. Yeast overgrowth is a tough battle. I personally believe that like so many baby faced dogs, MiMi has small tear ducts. But the red yeast stains on her beard are something else.
__________________
MiMi & Sylvie
Sylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Sylie's Avatar
 
Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Windsor, CA
Posts: 8,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
Have you seen this article from Marvista Vets? I think the discussion you posted may be based upon this article.

Tylosin

I have been fortunate that Lady and now Bailey don't have a real issue with tear staining. I use purified or distilled water, faithfully remove "eye boogers" with a mustache comb every day and wipe the area with Spa Lavish on a warm washcloth daily. Environmental irritants seem to affect tearing with them more than anything else. I have air purifiers in every room which really seem to help.
Your post makes me consider that ...oh sigh...the environmental irritants may likely be my birds. I have Australian birds who leave a lot of dander. I fear that Rays sneezing and runny nose are due to the bird dander. Maybe that also contributes to MiMi's problems with tearing. Sigh. What can I do? It is a terrible thing to say, but I wish I had never ....nope can't put that into words.
__________________
MiMi & Sylvie
Sylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Furbabies mom's Avatar
 
Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 12,163
Default

I had to look at Laurel's pics to remember how bad they were!

Before and After pics

I hope that you find an answer, Laurel's tear stains drive me crazy, and I did do everything I could before the Angel Eyes and going to OSU.
__________________
Deborah and my Fluffs, Laurel, Violet , Hardy and Dewey!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru


 
Ladysmom's Avatar
 
Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 17,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
It was because of your good results that I first gave it a try. It worked. If it were only tear stains, I would not be as upset, but the stains on her beard totally indicate a yeast over growth. Yeast overgrowth is a tough battle. I personally believe that like so many baby faced dogs, MiMi has small tear ducts. But the red yeast stains on her beard are something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
Your post makes me consider that ...oh sigh...the environmental irritants may likely be my birds. I have Australian birds who leave a lot of dander. I fear that Rays sneezing and runny nose are due to the bird dander. Maybe that also contributes to MiMi's problems with tearing. Sigh. What can I do? It is a terrible thing to say, but I wish I had never ....nope can't put that into words.
Have you tried probiotics? They really help with yeast and bacterial overgrowth. I would try that before an antibiotic like Tylosin which will not only kill "bad" bacteria but the "good" also.

I really recommend Animal Essentials or First Choice Naturals.

Animal Essentials - Premium quality supplements for dogs and cats

http://www.firstchoicenaturals.com/I...room.php?gid=4

I really think allergies may be a lot of Mimi's problem. I have allergies myself and swear by air purifiers and eliminating as many allergens in the home as possible. Simple things like switching to a perfume and dye free laundry detergent can make a huge difference. A dehumidifier can drastically reduce dust mite and mold spores in the air along with using Filtrete furnace filters. Not only has this helped my allergies, I am sure that is why Lady and now Bailey don't have a problem with tear staining.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Sylie's Avatar
 
Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Windsor, CA
Posts: 8,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
Have you tried probiotics? They really help with yeast and bacterial overgrowth. I would try that before an antibiotic like Tylosin which will not only kill "bad" bacteria but the "good" also.

I really recommend Animal Essentials or First Choice Naturals.

Animal Essentials - Premium quality supplements for dogs and cats

http://www.firstchoicenaturals.com/I...room.php?gid=4

I really think allergies may be a lot of Mimi's problem. I have allergies myself and swear by air purifiers and eliminating as many allergens in the home as possible. Simple things like switching to a perfume and dye free laundry detergent can make a huge difference. A dehumidifier can drastically reduce dust mite and mold spores in the air along with using Filtrete furnace filters. Not only has this helped my allergies, I am sure that is why Lady and now Bailey don't have a problem with tear staining.
Yes, I do give them all Animal Essential probiotics. I give them purified water, I have a bayou bowl for water. The more we talk about it, the more I fear that they are suffering allergens from the birds. I am crazy to avoid any perfumes or chemicals, because I am hyper sensitive. I guess I need to get an air purifier, because the birds do produce a lot of dust. So, I will choose the Filtrete filters. Can you advise me on an air purifier? Sigh. I would really like to rehome my birds, but I don't see it as possible for each one of them. I guess I had better find a way to cope. Fast.
__________________
MiMi & Sylvie
Sylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com