How do I choose? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Leah
Dog's Name: Ari
Default How do I choose?

So, Ari had an appt with the Vet today, We waited for awhile, and I eventually just had to leave due to the hour I had waited.. I just didnt have the time to sit there.. so since Ari has all his shots, is neutered from his previous owner, I was just going for a meet and greet and well visit.

Now, Im rethinking my choice.. How have you all picked your vet? There are alot of options in our area, friends have given recommendations.. I just dont know the questions to ask upfront. Obviously, I want a vet who is great with small breeds, but what other things do I ask??
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

You had an appointment and waited an hour beyond that? That's pretty bad, so was it a physical you scheduled, a time that you would pay for or was it more of a walk in?

For a walk in I can understand, or if there was some big emergency, but if you had a real appointment, that would have upset me.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: Maizy

I personally would not be impressed by this and in my eyes this does not bode well for a future relationship!!

My vets are amazing i pay more than other vets but i trust them, they can always fit me in and if need be they will squeeze me in on the day if i am worried about something.

I would definatly visit a few more before you make your choice as a reliable vet that you trust is massively important and sounds like you already have your reservations understandably after todays visit!!

If you had an appointment then they should stick to it unless there is a major emergency then it is common curtisy to make you aware that they are running late and that they appreciate your patience!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

I 've gone to the same vet for several years, it was a referral from a family member. I think choosing a vet that some one you know personally, and really cares about their pets is probably you best bet. Did you have an appointment when you went yo visit the vet? I wouldn't want to wait an hour, if I had an appointment! Oh I see that you did have an appointment! Unless the vet had an emergency, I would of left too. The vet will probably start the conversation and comment on weight, and issues that are common to Maltese . You might want to ask about food how much, which kind. I think if Ari is in good health, just overall get to know the vet, and see how much time and interest he puts into your visit. Good luck!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

It would be best to get a recommendation for a vet from someone you trust. In my opinion its difficult to find a vet you trust and that is available to you and fits you in when they can. I would say to the vet that you just want to bring him in to be looked at and talk about what your feeding him, how much etc. Good luck!!
Old 11-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Leah
Dog's Name: Ari

Yes, I had an appt. I just set up like a well care visit. I wanted someone to look him over and make sure there was nothing wrong with him .. Which there doesnt seem to be .. but you know.. Im his new mommy ... I just wanted someone to check him out.

I am disapointed.. 1st cause I waited forever, and still noone saw him, but also because I felt like Ari wasnt a prioritiy because he was there for a well visit. I will look at some other Vets in the area.. but I want to get him the best care!
Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci

Let me first say that as a Paralegal, sometimes attorneys are really busy and don't get to their appointments on time. I've had clients wait for more than an hour while he was stuck in court, etc. I know that I have had to wait at my doctor's office for more than an hour before due to a busy schedule or him being in surgery. There are a lot of reasons why the vet could be late. HOWEVER, the question is: How well did they handle it?? Did they apologize and explain what was going on or was it just a situation where it seemed "normal" to make you sit there and didn't say a word to you? If THAT is the case, then I would certainly not go there. Imagine if it were an emergency and you had to wait that long? No thanks!! But, if there was a good reason, I wouldn't necessarily dismiss them.

As far as finding a vet, I actually have a neighbor that's a vet tech where I take Gucci, so that was why I went there. I do have some issues with them not understanding my desires to avoid shots and things, but I guess if *I* am in control and up to date on things, I won't have to worry. Have you tried a search online to see if any places nearby have reviews??? Or maybe go for a walk in your neighborhood and see if there are any people outside with their dogs and ask them. Typically people walking their dogs actually care about their babies, unlike the people who just shove them in the back yard.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kaitlin
Dog's Name: Sadie

I've never waited more than 5 minutes for an appointment, and my vet works in a VERY busy office. They have also squeezed me in when Sadie had kennel cough, and the vet/owner met with me in between appointments. He never made me feel rushed, even though he was fully booked and I was causing him to work even harder than usual.

I would ask around for personal reccommendations. I also pay a little bit more than other vets in my area, but the service I have received has been nothing short of outstanding.
kaeco510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

I've been with my vet since 1993; there have been two times that I can recall where I either walked in or got a phone call saying that she had an emergency come in and could we reschedule. Those were life and death situations for the dog involved so I absolutely understood.

I found my vet when I met a vet tech in an aerobics class. I was getting my first Maltese in a few weeks and asked her where she worked. She told me (it was an hour away), and then said "If I didn't work for a vet, I would take my animals to Dr. XXXX." She told me why and that was all I needed to hear. Been there ever since.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I found our current vet in a moment of panic. After Grace's vaccine accident I was desperate to find a new one...

Someone suggested finding a Holistic Vet.... So I googled holistic vets in my area.

I emailed and called a few. Our current vet got back to me fastest (within 2 hours) - via email AND phone. When I talked with her on the phone I just had a gut feeling that she would be right. And she was... She's a wonderful vet.

And I have found out that the 2 natural pet stores nearby recommend her to people all the time. So that makes me feel like my choice was a good one

I know for me... my own doctor is very easy to contact and communicates through email between appointments. I was looking for something similar for a vet - easy to contact.

If they had time to call me before I was even a client and make me go in for an appointment and be charged... that was a good start for me.

Our vet truly cares about her patients. Not about the clock. Sometimes we wait 10-15 minutes. If it is going to be longer (once) she comes out to let us know herself (not sending a tech).

During appointments, she always gives us extra time (without charging) if needed. And she gladly sees both of them for one office visit fee. Even if I just take one in, she always asks how the other is doing.

She does email with her patients. So I email her with quick questions and she always gets back within 24 hours.

I hope you can find someone who fits what you need.... Don't be afraid to ask to speak with them before setting up an appointment.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme

Last edited by Grace'sMom; 11-20-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement