Help-pray - Page 10 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #91 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Oh Bless their little hearts. Brother knows that baby sister was very sick. Hope today is a better day.

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #92 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carole
Dog's Name: Giovanni & Manny-Guiseppe

I'm so glad to hear the immediate reaction is more under control and hoping Lisel has no lasting negative effects. No more vaccines! Poor baby - get well and soak up all this lovin' from your mommy and aunties. Will continue to check back and keep Lisi in out prayers!

ckanen2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #93 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marie
Dog's Name: Snowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post

Very intelligently spoken Sue!
I think there is a difference that most people do not realize maybe in a true anaphylactic reaction & an allergic sensitivity. Lisi's reaction both last & this time was a 100% true anaphylactic reaction. I do not believe benadryl would have touched it---and maybe would have complicated her treatment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
It is Sat. afternoon & we are home from seeing the ER vet this AM. Lisi is resting & trying to figure out what happened to her! Up until about midnight last night it was pretty serious---we were on the phone w/our younger normal vet & she was helping us decide what to do---we went for another round of cortisone---which really helped w/the hives & the swelling in her mouth---those were immediate priorities. Her blood pressure was still pretty low as it is today as well.
She is going to make it, but we don't know what the long term effects will be. The ER vet said today that we can not give her ANY more vaccines---none. She will work w/us to help find a solution but in her words "it is going to be a big problem."

On another note--we had Ruby our cat in last week for tests & vaccines & today the vet told us that she has diabetes. She is running extra tests that will be back Mon. afternoon.

For those of you who have questioned why I can't get TF rabies here as it is available in Europe, I would just remind you that Greece is not exactly Europe---it is more Balkan in so many ways. So much of what is available in other countries is not available here---maybe because most companies don't trust Greece to pay their bills so they won't send stuff here? I dunno'? I did look for the TF and had 2 vets looking, even checked through the University here---but was told it is not possible!
I would gently and kindly remind you of how blessed you are to be able to locate things that are so easily taken for granted.
I do appreciate your love & concern for us and for Lisi---believe me I do not take that for granted. Thanks especially to all of you who prayed for her---I believe God heard the cry of our hearts!
I should only speak for myself here ... however, I think ALL of your friends meant well with what we have shared from our own personal experiences and with the advice from our vets ... the professionals who should know each of our fluff's needs ... on a more personal basis. I wish I could be more articulate in what I try and express ... however, that seems to be one of my flaws these days.

You are right, Sandi, that we are blessed (well, most of us) to be able to locate things that are so easily taken for granted. I believe God has given me that gift to realize that.

My love and prayers continue for Lisa and all of you. I really did stay up most of the night thinking about your precious little one.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #94 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose, Lily, & Eva

Sandi, I am so glad you took Lisi to the ER...all of you must be exhausted...I am so relieved that she is still with you and resting...I am praying that there will be no long term effects...I stand corrected, thanks to Sue, about premedicating...come to think of it, when this happened to Lily, she was given Benadryl prior to the shot and it did NOTHING..Lily will not be getting any more shots including rabies. You are a great mom and Lisi and Kitzi are blessed to have you...I hope today is a better day, too.
Big hugs!!
Old 11-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #95 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose, Lily, & Eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
Sandi - I was so worried reading this. We lost our internet in Vermont and had to get a new modem so we couldn't get on line until tonight. I'm so sorry that Lisel is having this reaction. I hope that you can get her to a doctor asap. It does sound like an allergic reaction and possibly anaphylactic. The worries in that type of reaction is drop of BP, swelling on the inside causing breathing difficulties and can be very serious. They really need to treat with the right meds. I'm hoping that it will stay with external swelling and hives but since our dear dogs can't talk it's hard to tell what's going on. I'm praying that she will be okay. After a reaction like that they are wiped out for days. You will be on my mind until we hear back from you. I'm hoping you can get some sort of waiver after this reaction. I can't imagine that they could be so heartless as to risk the life of a dog for that shot.

As most of you know my son nearly died when he had several food allergic reactions when he was 2 and his throat swelled shut. He had several others in later years as well. For kids or adults ,you need to administer Epi, benedryl, and steroids if it's serious. David was seen by the top food allergist in the world, and I produced over a dozen videos on food allergy and life threatening reactions with the top docs in the world and the leading food allergy organization. The doctors's did not believe in pre-medicating for kids if they were going to be in a situation where there might be allergens around. In the case of vaccines, they watch for signs of allergy and usually keep kids who may have a history of allergy in the waiting room for an hour or so. Their feeling was if you pre-medicate it masks the reactions that need to be treated as soon as possible with the right meds. If you're going to have an anaphylactic reaction, using benedryl is like putting a bandaid on a gaping wound. It will mask some of the reaction but then often it comes back way worse because it's been given the time to develop. One of the most dangerous reactions is called a bi-phasic reaction where kids are treated for anaphylaxis, even with the right meds and several hours later they get a far worse secondary reaction which can be fatal too. That's why you aren't supposed to leave a hospital for at least 4-6 hours after Epi treatment because of this secondary issue. This all comes from my 20 years of working with top allergists and I wouldn't think it's much different with pets and severe allergies.

Sending you, Lisel and Dwight hugs and kisses. I know that poor Kitzel must be worried as well.
Thank you for your very insightful and expert words...I stand corrected..

Old 11-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #96 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Orla
Dog's Name: Milo
Send a message via MSN to Orla

I'm so glad to hear that Liesl is doing better! Hope she is back to normal soon x

Milo's Instagram
Orla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #97 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball Pie's Mommi View Post
I should only speak for myself here ... however, I think ALL of your friends meant well with what we have shared from our own personal experiences and with the advice from our vets ... the professionals who should know each of our fluff's needs ... on a more personal basis. I wish I could be more articulate in what I try and express ... however, that seems to be one of my flaws these days.

You are right, Sandi, that we are blessed (well, most of us) to be able to locate things that are so easily taken for granted. I believe God has given me that gift to realize that.

My love and prayers continue for Lisa and all of you. I really did stay up most of the night thinking about your precious little one.
Marie,
Thank you for your deep concern for Lisi---I know your prayers were important to her coming through---believe me I do. I so appreciate everyone's concern & love---it helps when we are feeling so helpless & unable to do much---a real life-line! I am sorry we both had to lose sleep---maybe we could take turns next time! You are a wonderful Auntie to my two!
I hope I did not come off harshly (although it is something I seem to do well w/out meaning to), I guess my point was that there really is more than one point of view out there and it isn't as simple as we all wish it were. Heaven knows I gave it all I had to locate the best possible vaccine, but I now believe that ANY vaccine would have produced the same results.
You are very dear to my heart & if I was offensive I offer my sincere & heart-felt apologies.
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #98 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Oh Sandi what good news this am. Lisel is on the mend. The pics of them in your lap say it all...TIRED...they are precious. I know you'll figure all this out in time.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #99 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

I got to bed late, and I was so worried last night after the pics of her tummy. I can't tell you how happy your post made me that she is feeling better this morning.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #100 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieMom View Post
I got to bed late, and I was so worried last night after the pics of her tummy. I can't tell you how happy your post made me that she is feeling better this morning.
Yes, the wheels got bigger & darker! My youngest daughter gets severe hives since she was very young so I immediately thought they looked like what she had---just glad they appeared before I sacked out & the vet called about that time, so we decided to repeat the cortisone dose. Her throat was also giving her some issues, w/mouth swelling. I am so thankful that people were praying for us because it helped me to stay calm & handle things quickly. I will be forever grateful!
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement