Help-pray - Page 7 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #61 (permalink)
TLR
Maltese Guru

Name: Tracey
Dog's Name: Ben

Sandi I am just seeing this and praying for Lisi. This one seems worse than the first reaction. When I read this post, I knew something went wrong. Please know that you are in my thoughts and Prayers.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #62 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Awwww poor Lisi. She is in my thoughts and prayers. Hope all works out well. Hugs to you Sandi.
SweetMalteseAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #63 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Oh Sandi, that poor little hot tummy. I wonder if these adverse reactions get worse with each shot .
Hope you all are getting some needed rest tonight.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #64 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie
Dog's Name: Harry, Teddy, Ben, Sprite, and Max

Sandi,

So sorry to hear about Liesl. None of my dogs have had any reactions to shots, thank God, but my vet does give Sprite a shot of Benadryl before her shots. She feels that it helps and my feeling is that it can't hurt, so why not try it. Harry's internal medicine doctor told me that Benadryl is a very safe drug and that he would have no problem with me giving it to Harry, even with his liver issues, if need be.

Hugs.
Debbie
harrysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #65 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo
Default Prayers

Sandy...sending prayers for Leisel and for you.
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #66 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

Oh man...this is just awful. I would just hate to be in your predicament. No easy answer any which way you look at it. Just be sure to give her some Nutri-Cal every couple of hours. As long as she will take that from you, then you know she's not gone into shock. It probably isn't necessary but it would be what would help to reassure me. I just feel so terrible for all of you!

As for the pre-med thing, I know you aren't really asking for input here but for future, I guess I'm in the group that says pre-med. Ok so this is a new concept to me that it may be masking something they need to know about later and I haven't taken the time to really think about they why's...but my first thought is...why in the heck do they need to know there was an allergic reaction like this if they are going to have to continue giving the vaccine due to how the law is written? Why, if pre-medicating with children's Benadryl DOES/MIGHT hinder or even lessen an allergic reaction, would they need to know about it? It doesn't change anything does it? By law the vaccine must still be given, right? And if pre-medicating with children's Benadryl doesn't actually hurt anything, then why not give it even if there may not be proof it does help? And so there may not be an actual scientific paper written on it. So does that mean the tens of thousands of vets that do tell people to give it when there has been a bee sting and reaction or a reaction to a vaccine negate the fact that it has helped many animals? The same thing holds true for glucosamine & chondroitin. There has been no actual scientific paper written on it. Yet thousands of humans, human doctors, vets and pet parents can attest to the fact that it does help.
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #67 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)

I am keeping Liesl in my thoughts... Ozzie had a bad reaction 10 days after his rabies vaccine (so not 100% sure it was the vaccine but my gut tells me it was) which was SO scary... his little neck swelled up, he had a few hives but his skin was very pink all over It was so scary, thankfully I was able to take him to the vet within a couple hours and she gave him a shot, I believe....

I hope little Liesl feels better ASAP!!

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #68 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Oh my~! I'm thinking of little Lisi and you, Sandi. You must be beyond worried... Lisi certainly looks and acts like she has an anaphylactic reaction. I hope the vet sees her soon. I'm not a vet, but in anaphylactic reactions for humans, we give steroids, H1 blockers (ie. Benadryl) and H2 blockers (ie. Pepcid, zantac), and even epinephrine intramuscular and IV fluids as needed. GI upset is a part of anaphylaxis so I'd watch for that too. I hope that there will be a better alternative for Lisi and future rabies vaccines-- maybe administer the TF version if you happen to be in the states around that time? Future allergic reactions can be even MORE severe with repeated exposures so I can understand your fear of any future vaccines. Many prayers are being lifted up for you two :hugs:

Last edited by hoaloha; 11-23-2012 at 05:03 PM.
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #69 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal&Zoe View Post

As for the pre-med thing, I know you aren't really asking for input here but for future, I guess I'm in the group that says pre-med. Ok so this is a new concept to me that it may be masking something they need to know about later and I haven't taken the time to really think about they why's...but my first thought is...why in the heck do they need to know there was an allergic reaction like this if they are going to have to continue giving the vaccine due to how the law is written? Why, if pre-medicating with children's Benadryl DOES/MIGHT hinder or even lessen an allergic reaction, would they need to know about it? It doesn't change anything does it? By law the vaccine must still be given, right? And if pre-medicating with children's Benadryl doesn't actually hurt anything, then why not give it even if there may not be proof it does help? And so there may not be an actual scientific paper written on it. So does that mean the tens of thousands of vets that do tell people to give it when there has been a bee sting and reaction or a reaction to a vaccine negate the fact that it has helped many animals? The same thing holds true for glucosamine & chondroitin. There has been no actual scientific paper written on it. Yet thousands of humans, human doctors, vets and pet parents can attest to the fact that it does help.
I agree! I get weekly allergy shots and I am always supposed to take an antihistamine beforehand.

Merial, the makers of IMRAB TF (thimerasol free) rabies vaccines is an international company with manufacturing sites in France, Italy and the UK. It makes no sense why you can't get the vaccine in Europe.

US.Merial.com : Merial Around the World : Manufacturing
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #70 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

Oh Sandi I am just now seeing this!! How is sweet Lisi doing? Poor baby and poor Mommy! Lifting up a faithful prayer and sending your huge hugs.

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement