Help-pray - Page 9 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 04:57 AM   #81 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Sandi.....I have been thinking about you all night and hoping all is well. Just checking to see how your all doing. Praying she is better. Hugs to you!

Old 11-24-2012, 05:32 AM   #82 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Terry
Dog's Name: Naddie, Quincy, & ( "Angel Missy" 8/11/94-7/19/05 )

Just got up and came here immediately to see how little Lisel is doing. I'm praying she is doing much better today!!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #83 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
Sandi - I was so worried reading this. We lost our internet in Vermont and had to get a new modem so we couldn't get on line until tonight. I'm so sorry that Lisel is having this reaction. I hope that you can get her to a doctor asap. It does sound like an allergic reaction and possibly anaphylactic. The worries in that type of reaction is drop of BP, swelling on the inside causing breathing difficulties and can be very serious. They really need to treat with the right meds. I'm hoping that it will stay with external swelling and hives but since our dear dogs can't talk it's hard to tell what's going on. I'm praying that she will be okay. After a reaction like that they are wiped out for days. You will be on my mind until we hear back from you. I'm hoping you can get some sort of waiver after this reaction. I can't imagine that they could be so heartless as to risk the life of a dog for that shot.

As most of you know my son nearly died when he had several food allergic reactions when he was 2 and his throat swelled shut. He had several others in later years as well. For kids or adults ,you need to administer Epi, benedryl, and steroids if it's serious. David was seen by the top food allergist in the world, and I produced over a dozen videos on food allergy and life threatening reactions with the top docs in the world and the leading food allergy organization. The doctors's did not believe in pre-medicating for kids if they were going to be in a situation where there might be allergens around. In the case of vaccines, they watch for signs of allergy and usually keep kids who may have a history of allergy in the waiting room for an hour or so. Their feeling was if you pre-medicate it masks the reactions that need to be treated as soon as possible with the right meds. If you're going to have an anaphylactic reaction, using benedryl is like putting a bandaid on a gaping wound. It will mask some of the reaction but then often it comes back way worse because it's been given the time to develop. One of the most dangerous reactions is called a bi-phasic reaction where kids are treated for anaphylaxis, even with the right meds and several hours later they get a far worse secondary reaction which can be fatal too. That's why you aren't supposed to leave a hospital for at least 4-6 hours after Epi treatment because of this secondary issue. This all comes from my 20 years of working with top allergists and I wouldn't think it's much different with pets and severe allergies.

Sending you, Lisel and Dwight hugs and kisses. I know that poor Kitzel must be worried as well.

Very intelligently spoken Sue!
I think there is a difference that most people do not realize maybe in a true anaphylactic reaction & an allergic sensitivity. Lisi's reaction both last & this time was a 100% true anaphylactic reaction. I do not believe benadryl would have touched it---and maybe would have complicated her treatment.
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #84 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

It is Sat. afternoon & we are home from seeing the ER vet this AM. Lisi is resting & trying to figure out what happened to her! Up until about midnight last night it was pretty serious---we were on the phone w/our younger normal vet & she was helping us decide what to do---we went for another round of cortisone---which really helped w/the hives & the swelling in her mouth---those were immediate priorities. Her blood pressure was still pretty low as it is today as well.
She is going to make it, but we don't know what the long term effects will be. The ER vet said today that we can not give her ANY more vaccines---none. She will work w/us to help find a solution but in her words "it is going to be a big problem."

On another note--we had Ruby our cat in last week for tests & vaccines & today the vet told us that she has diabetes. She is running extra tests that will be back Mon. afternoon.

For those of you who have questioned why I can't get TF rabies here as it is available in Europe, I would just remind you that Greece is not exactly Europe---it is more Balkan in so many ways. So much of what is available in other countries is not available here---maybe because most companies don't trust Greece to pay their bills so they won't send stuff here? I dunno'? I did look for the TF and had 2 vets looking, even checked through the University here---but was told it is not possible!
I would gently and kindly remind you of how blessed you are to be able to locate things that are so easily taken for granted.
I do appreciate your love & concern for us and for Lisi---believe me I do not take that for granted. Thanks especially to all of you who prayed for her---I believe God heard the cry of our hearts!
"Wag more Bark less"
Old 11-24-2012, 06:49 AM   #85 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

Thank goodness she is doing somewhat better today.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

pippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #86 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
Sandi - I was so worried reading this. We lost our internet in Vermont and had to get a new modem so we couldn't get on line until tonight. I'm so sorry that Lisel is having this reaction. I hope that you can get her to a doctor asap. It does sound like an allergic reaction and possibly anaphylactic. The worries in that type of reaction is drop of BP, swelling on the inside causing breathing difficulties and can be very serious. They really need to treat with the right meds. I'm hoping that it will stay with external swelling and hives but since our dear dogs can't talk it's hard to tell what's going on. I'm praying that she will be okay. After a reaction like that they are wiped out for days. You will be on my mind until we hear back from you. I'm hoping you can get some sort of waiver after this reaction. I can't imagine that they could be so heartless as to risk the life of a dog for that shot.

As most of you know my son nearly died when he had several food allergic reactions when he was 2 and his throat swelled shut. He had several others in later years as well. For kids or adults ,you need to administer Epi, benedryl, and steroids if it's serious. David was seen by the top food allergist in the world, and I produced over a dozen videos on food allergy and life threatening reactions with the top docs in the world and the leading food allergy organization. The doctors's did not believe in pre-medicating for kids if they were going to be in a situation where there might be allergens around. In the case of vaccines, they watch for signs of allergy and usually keep kids who may have a history of allergy in the waiting room for an hour or so. Their feeling was if you pre-medicate it masks the reactions that need to be treated as soon as possible with the right meds. If you're going to have an anaphylactic reaction, using benedryl is like putting a bandaid on a gaping wound. It will mask some of the reaction but then often it comes back way worse because it's been given the time to develop. One of the most dangerous reactions is called a bi-phasic reaction where kids are treated for anaphylaxis, even with the right meds and several hours later they get a far worse secondary reaction which can be fatal too. That's why you aren't supposed to leave a hospital for at least 4-6 hours after Epi treatment because of this secondary issue. This all comes from my 20 years of working with top allergists and I wouldn't think it's much different with pets and severe allergies.

Sending you, Lisel and Dwight hugs and kisses. I know that poor Kitzel must be worried as well.
Wow. This is a whole new concept to me. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #87 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
It is Sat. afternoon & we are home from seeing the ER vet this AM. Lisi is resting & trying to figure out what happened to her! Up until about midnight last night it was pretty serious---we were on the phone w/our younger normal vet & she was helping us decide what to do---we went for another round of cortisone---which really helped w/the hives & the swelling in her mouth---those were immediate priorities. Her blood pressure was still pretty low as it is today as well.
She is going to make it, but we don't know what the long term effects will be. The ER vet said today that we can not give her ANY more vaccines---none. She will work w/us to help find a solution but in her words "it is going to be a big problem."

On another note--we had Ruby our cat in last week for tests & vaccines & today the vet told us that she has diabetes. She is running extra tests that will be back Mon. afternoon.

For those of you who have questioned why I can't get TF rabies here as it is available in Europe, I would just remind you that Greece is not exactly Europe---it is more Balkan in so many ways. So much of what is available in other countries is not available here---maybe because most companies don't trust Greece to pay their bills so they won't send stuff here? I dunno'? I did look for the TF and had 2 vets looking, even checked through the University here---but was told it is not possible!
I would gently and kindly remind you of how blessed you are to be able to locate things that are so easily taken for granted.
I do appreciate your love & concern for us and for Lisi---believe me I do not take that for granted. Thanks especially to all of you who prayed for her---I believe God heard the cry of our hearts!
What a nightmare you are living through! I'm so sorry!! Praying for you, Dwight, L,R & K (cuz I'm sure he's stressing with everything that is going on right now) and praying your vet can figure out something so you can continue to travel with Liesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #88 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marti
Dog's Name: Tanner, Frankie, Jamie, Kelsey

Good to hear that Lisi's doing better.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #89 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

I'm happy Thayer Liesl is doing better, and I'm praying that there is no long term effect.

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #90 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Lisi & Kitzi are kinda out of it today---just needing to be held!
Attached Images

"Wag more Bark less"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement