Heartworm Pills - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

I believe the only tick Revolution covers is the American Dog Tick (Dermacentor variabilis)

---I may be wrong. Stronghold is supposedly the same here, & that is what it covers. I still get the tiny little ticks even when using Stronghold. Unfortunately they also carry TBDs.
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"

Last edited by edelweiss; 11-25-2012 at 09:24 AM.
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
I am not sure of this since I am not state-side, but I thought trifexis did NOT cover ticks?????
Thanks Sandi. Your right. Hard for my old brain to keep up.... Trifectis is HW & Flea, round and hook but no tick.

I looked up a few things for the OP.....
Revolution or Frontline plus are 2 topical that treat for ticks and there were some others as well. (my Sammie had reaction to FP)
Heartgard is for HW, round, hook worm, but not whip.
Since OP has a "whipworm" issue in her area is prob why her Vet gave her choice of sentinel or trifexis.
I chose IH preventive because I don't have a flea or tick issue (yet) so HW is all I need. If I didn't have a flea tick issue (many inside dogs don't) then I'd find a med for HW only (but bec she has to watch for whipworm limits her options).

Last edited by SammieMom; 11-25-2012 at 09:44 AM.
SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carole
Dog's Name: Giovanni & Manny-Guiseppe

OK - I am a bit confused. we were at the vet yesterday for a heartworm test and Heartguard was recommended.
As for straight Ivermectin, the techs told me dosing was very difficult that you only need .02 for horse,so it was almost impossible to dose for 5 lbs. They said Heartguard was very safe!
So - Should I be asking about Iverheart over Heartguard? I do not have fleas in my yard, nor am I concerned about worms.

ckanen2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieMom View Post
Thanks Sandi. Your right. Hard for my old brain to keep up.... Trifectis is HW & Flea, round and hook but no tick.

I looked up a few things for the OP.....
Revolution or Frontline plus are 2 topical that treat for ticks and there were some others as well. (my Sammie had reaction to FP)
Heartgard is for HW, round, hook worm, but not whip.
Since OP has a "whipworm" issue in her area is prob why her Vet gave her choice of sentinel or trifexis.
I chose IH preventive because I don't have a flea or tick issue (yet) so HW is all I need. If I didn't have a flea tick issue (many inside dogs don't) then I'd find a med for HW only (but bec she has to watch for whipworm limits her options).
Kandis, as I mentioned in another posting Revolution only covers one tick--the American Dog tick---not the other types which also carry tick borne diseases!
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckanen2n View Post
OK - I am a bit confused. we were at the vet yesterday for a heartworm test and Heartguard was recommended.
As for straight Ivermectin, the techs told me dosing was very difficult that you only need .02 for horse,so it was almost impossible to dose for 5 lbs. They said Heartguard was very safe!
So - Should I be asking about Iverheart over Heartguard? I do not have fleas in my yard, nor am I concerned about worms.
Hi Carole,
It's just a choice I think between your 2 meds.
Your needs sound like mine, I just need HW protection. Iverheart Plus has the least wormers from what I can tell, that is why I picked it. The MAX has alot more wormers. My Vet had to order it though. He said heartgard was fine too if they couldn't tolerate IH for some reason. I started with Iverheart, and it worked out fine for mine. hope this helps.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
Kandis, as I mentioned in another posting Revolution only covers one tick--the American Dog tick---not the other types which also carry tick borne diseases!
Sandi, good point. I was just letting them know some do prot from ticks. as Ive seem post that say there are NONE avail. I would ask the vet what is needed for my area. So far, my Vet said just hold off till I see a tick. My Vet said if needed, he carries the tick prev that are needed for our area. I hope I never have to find out.
hugs

Old 11-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

Revolution kills a number of ticks including deer ticks. However, because this is an FDA approved drug, a testing trial must be done on each species of tick for it to be listed on the Revolution label. That would be cost prohibitive to the company. Revolution is a fine product for prevention of ticks of all kinds.

Vs. Frontline which has EPA approval, not FDA approval.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci

I swear, this is so pathetic. I really wish this didn't have to be SO difficult. I mean, we have to give our pups a pill every month to keep them from getting sick, yet we have to go through torture just to figure out if the pill that's supposed to prevent it is making them sick. -- I know my vet must think I'm nuts but I can't give her an answer on what to use for heartworm and it appears I'm not the only one that's lost. -- Why is it that the ONE pill everyone felt good about is gone now???? UGGG!!!
Advertisement