5 wk old puppy w/o a mommy - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums


SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
Lmojeda's Avatar
 
Name: Lisa Marie
Dog's Name: Louie & Molly
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 312
Default 5 wk old puppy w/o a mommy

Ok I'm rescuing a 5 wk old pup w/o a mommy. The lady that found her in the dumpster said she has been eating kibble. What else should I give her to ensure she is getting what she needs?? I get her tomorrow and the vet doesn't open till Monday! Any suggestions would be appreciated!<3


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lmojeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
Grace'sMom's Avatar
 
Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 4,172
Default

I'd ask the vet... but you may want to make her some puppy mush using puppy formula for a few weeks.

You don't know what kind of life she had before this... better safe than sorry, imo.

Hopefully some of our members who are breeders will chime in and help out with how often this little girl should be eating... I'm sure you'll want to keep food down but she needs to be watched to make sure she is eating. Maybe only put 5-6 kibbles in the dish at a time so you know.

Make sure you put a shirt on her. Puppies have a hard time regulating their body temp before 3 months of age. So she needs to be kept warm.

Also try to supervise her as much as possible. Wear her in a sling if you need to be busy for a bit. It won't spoil her.... she would be with her mother right now 24/7...so that is what she needs - a surrogate mommy.

Try to give her exposure to different textures in your house (keep her in the house of course til she is fully vaccinated)...... So have her walk and play on different textures - bath mats, towels, cardboard, a cookie sheet, tile, carpet, etc....

An xpen is probably going to be your best friend.... an xpen and a sling.
__________________

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)






my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru


 
Sylie's Avatar
 
Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hidden Valley, CA
Posts: 9,020
Default

The feed store I shop at has a substitute for mother dog's milk and bottles with nipples. If you can find that it would be a good thing. I think that mother dogs only begin weaning at six weeks, allowing the pups to nurse less often over a period of two or three weeks. Your pup could develop problems from not nursing long enough...so do your best. If you can't find it tomorrow, your vet will probably have it.

How does the person who found her know that she is five weeks old?
__________________
MiMi & Sylvie
Sylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
Lmojeda's Avatar
 
Name: Lisa Marie
Dog's Name: Louie & Molly
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post
I'd ask the vet... but you may want to make her some puppy mush using puppy formula for a few weeks.

You don't know what kind of life she had before this... better safe than sorry, imo.

Hopefully some of our members who are breeders will chime in and help out with how often this little girl should be eating... I'm sure you'll want to keep food down but she needs to be watched to make sure she is eating. Maybe only put 5-6 kibbles in the dish at a time so you know.

Make sure you put a shirt on her. Puppies have a hard time regulating their body temp before 3 months of age. So she needs to be kept warm.

Also try to supervise her as much as possible. Wear her in a sling if you need to be busy for a bit. It won't spoil her.... she would be with her mother right now 24/7...so that is what she needs - a surrogate mommy.

Try to give her exposure to different textures in your house (keep her in the house of course til she is fully vaccinated)...... So have her walk and play on different textures - bath mats, towels, cardboard, a cookie sheet, tile, carpet, etc....

An xpen is probably going to be your best friend.... an xpen and a sling.
I have a play pen and a sling I will get! Thanks for the info!


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lmojeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
Lmojeda's Avatar
 
Name: Lisa Marie
Dog's Name: Louie & Molly
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
The feed store I shop at has a substitute for mother dog's milk and bottles with nipples. If you can find that it would be a good thing. I think that mother dogs only begin weaning at six weeks, allowing the pups to nurse less often over a period of two or three weeks. Your pup could develop problems from not nursing long enough...so do your best. If you can't find it tomorrow, your vet will probably have it.

How does the person who found her know that she is five weeks old?
She has been seen by a vet. I have another post with the story..


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lmojeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
Grace'sMom's Avatar
 
Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 4,172
Default

They sell the forumla and those little bottles at Petsmart or Petco! Great idea sylvia!

Substituting a bottle may help with any issues she may have from being weaned too soon. Sucking helps human baby brains, so I'm sure puppies are similar....
__________________

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)






my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
socalyte's Avatar
 
Name: Jackie
Dog's Name: Pippa and Cozette. Dolly and Tiffany are angels at the Bridge
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,859
Default

Great suggestions from Tori and Sylvia-- and just so you know, you can buy puppy formula from almost any pet store. At five weeks the puppy would still be nursing full time or close to it, I believe. A sling-type carrier, also as Tori suggested, is a great idea too. Good luck and please keep us posted!
__________________

socalyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru


 
Sylie's Avatar
 
Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hidden Valley, CA
Posts: 9,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmojeda View Post
She has been seen by a vet. I have another post with the story..


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
I just saw it now. Gee she is cute.
__________________
MiMi & Sylvie
Sylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru
 
jmm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,107
Default

If the pup is already eating dog food there is no reason to use a milk supplement. Many larger dogs routinely start weaning around 3 weeks. I've had plenty of pups weaned at 3-4 weeks who did just fine.
__________________
JMM - JaMi Maltese, Home to Performance Maltese
Becoming a Follower on our Blog!!!
jmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
Lmojeda's Avatar
 
Name: Lisa Marie
Dog's Name: Louie & Molly
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
If the pup is already eating dog food there is no reason to use a milk supplement. Many larger dogs routinely start weaning around 3 weeks. I've had plenty of pups weaned at 3-4 weeks who did just fine.
Really they lady that found her has been giving her kibble and water.. Im just worried she is not getting all the nutrition she needs!


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lmojeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:28 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com