Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Please pray!!

7K views 73 replies 21 participants last post by  TLR 
#1 ·
Well Juliet is out of her heat cycle!! It started 10-27 and been done for about a week but....we're hoping this is a false pregnancy. :( She is expanding around the belly and her nipples are enlarged! She is also usually a daddy's girl but not lately, she's always on moments lap and won't let me do ANYTHING!! I try wrapping gifts and she will not let me. She just turned 9 months hold around 7 lbs and Romeo is 22 months 11lbs. So worried, can't get in vet till Thursday. They were never alone only 2 days before her first heat.

Dog Canidae Dog breed Maltese Companion dog

Pink Maltese Canidae Dog Dog breed

Won't let me do a thing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#41 ·
Well no news :( Wait 3 weeks and come back. They said uterus is swollen but couldn't feel puppies/puppy. Too early...they wanted to do x-ray but said more than likely would only see enlarged uterus so I told them no. She said she's in excellent health but very spoiled!! How could you tell? lol it's 1 of 2 things false pregnancy or pregnancy. So the 3 week wait begins,,, December 17th or if she takes turn for bad. So she is not going to leave my side..wonder what the colleges policy is on dogs! Even thou she's not a dog she's my baby girl!

#45 ·
We go to Banfield Pet Hospital which is in Petsmart. I asked about u/s, Doppler, anything but x-ray! They do not have machine only X-ray. I told her I was going to call the vet back home to see if I could get her in for u/s. So I did check into it. Now have to call around.

Not a fan of Banfield. I hope you can find another vet asap who can do an ultrasound.

#46 ·
Oh no, how frustrating that you don't have a definite diagnosis! In 3 weeks, if she is pregnant, you should be able to tell just by seeing/feeling fetal movement.

They do not have a doppler to listen for heart beats at the vet?

Sooo glad that they didn't talk you into doing an xray - talk about a waste of money at this point!

How absolutely sure are you on her heat cycle dates? When did Romeo start going nuts? Hope you can get some info! Heart beats won't show up on ultrasound until about 23+ days, so it still might be too early for that, if you are certain on her heat cycle dates.

So glad they got her in though. Did they take her temp?

#48 ·
Well I wasn't to happy tonight we just started using them when we got Juliet and its a 50 min drive for me anyway! I get there today only to find out the veterinarian was a fill in...original quit!! I have a medical plan they them and I can't wait till the 12 months is up

Google Banfield and you will see lots of negative reviews. Not a place I would want to take my puppy for a possible high risk pregnancy.

I found my wonderful vets up in Raleigh when a stray cat tried to adopt me. When I convinced a private rescue to take "Elliot", I had to drop him off at this vet practice to be evaluated, feline leukemia test, etc. They were fabulous when I arrived sobbing and asked to be updated. I knew I finally found my vet after rejecting four other vets after moving there. I found out afterwards that they worked with all the private rescues, the SPCA, etc. and were highly recommended by all of them.

Since then I always tell people to call their local shelters and rescues for a recommendation for a vet. A vet who volunteers with shelters and rescues is obviously dedicated and a true animal lover.

#49 ·
I personally hate Banfield. They push stuff that won't help, and don't seem to know what will help. I'm sure it varies by clinic, but my experience with them with my dogs Emma and Gladie was not good at all. Finding a good vet that you can trust is well worth the search. I frankly wouldn't feel confident with Banfield's advice.

#53 ·
They want to confirm. They say she can handle it but with her young age don't know how she will act as a mother. I'm praying its a false pregnancy

Cassie, this is your decision, not some substitute vet at Banfield. Saying Juliet "can handle it" puts her at great risk especially if they can't even tell you if she is pregnant for another three weeks. She is half Romeo's size and still a puppy. Since Romeo is a rehome from backyard breeder and way over the Yorkie standard at 11 pounds, who know how large his ancestors were? Yorkies used to be much larger and he may carry genes for what some call "teapot" Yorkies.

Please, please find a competent vet asap who can do an ultrasound. Then consider spaying her and terminating her pregnancy.

Pregnancy Termination

#54 ·
So they won't spay a puppy in very early pregnancy? or do they need to know before the surgery? Seems like a long wait. I know you are doing what you can. But Reason I ask is that I saw a pregnant Maltese at the vets once and she was so huge and in trouble. I don't know the details just that the stud was not a Maltese. I was hoping your little girl could get spayed now and avoid this.

#62 ·
Cassie, I am glad. :thumbsup:
I know your situation was an accident. But I will never forget that little Maltese in the Vets office. I know they say it's safe for your girl, but yikes :w00t: the one I saw was so huge Cassie, and I never found out what the trouble was but the lady was in hysterics to see the vet. she said to me 'never again' as if she bred her on purpose with different breed. I walked off, the whole thing made me ill. :angry:

#64 ·
Cassie -- if she's pregnant, would you want to terminate the pregnancy or would you go ahead and have the puppies? (Of course, imho, in this circumstance I would terminate.)

I bred Lhasa Apsos for more than 30 years. There was only 1 time I had an accidental breeding (when I was at a dog show and left my DH in charge). It was a 9 month old female that was impregnated by her father. I was not aware that she was pregnant until she was 5 1/2 weeks along. I did place all of the puppies as pets and did not register the litter, however, it really spoiled my little girl's personality. It was like a 13 year old getting raped and having to have the baby. Very difficult.

It is much easier to terminate a pregnancy earlier than later, so, if it was me, I would immediately have her spayed and if she is pregnant, the pregnancy will be terminated at that time. If she is pregnant and you don't have her spayed until she's 4-6 weeks along, it's much harder on the female and on you. Many vets will not terminate at that late of a date due to the danger.

Please have her spayed asap to avoid having an unwanted litter, any problems with pyometra, danger to having her spayed later (if pregnant) and future problems with her getting pregnant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.