Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Please pray!!

7K views 73 replies 21 participants last post by  TLR 
#1 ·
Well Juliet is out of her heat cycle!! It started 10-27 and been done for about a week but....we're hoping this is a false pregnancy. :( She is expanding around the belly and her nipples are enlarged! She is also usually a daddy's girl but not lately, she's always on moments lap and won't let me do ANYTHING!! I try wrapping gifts and she will not let me. She just turned 9 months hold around 7 lbs and Romeo is 22 months 11lbs. So worried, can't get in vet till Thursday. They were never alone only 2 days before her first heat.

Dog Canidae Dog breed Maltese Companion dog

Pink Maltese Canidae Dog Dog breed

Won't let me do a thing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#3 ·
My Bitzi had false pregnancies---took all our socks and nested w/them! She was a great false pregnancy mom! Hoping for the best!

#4 ·
If Romeo has not been neutered, assume she is pregnant. I have been a member of several dog forums for many years and invariably if an unspayed female and intact male are in the same household, an unwanted pregnancy is the result. I've heard stories of owners naively thinking a diaper or belly band is birth control or swearing up and down they were never alone.

I would try to get her into your vet sooner than Thursday. Because of the size difference and her young age, Juliet could die from this pregnancy. She will need to be spayed asap.

#8 ·
They are in heat for like 60 days.... the bleeding is after the first part of the heat, so she was fertile for about 20 days before she bled....

The link Marj gave me basically said before they bleed they aren't really wanting to mate, but that a male may want to mate with them

If Romeo isn't fixed....

I hope you get a good answer from the vet.

Spay is the best option if she is pregnant. Like Marj said, a pregnancy with an 11 pound dog could kill her.... not to mention that a female her age is less likely to mother the pups....

#9 ·
You didn't answer the question - is Romeo fixed?

I don't think his size is a huge issue, your girl isn't a tiny little thing but 7 mos is not an ideal age to have puppies.

They are typically fertile 10-12 days after bleeding starts, although the entire heat cycle can last up to 4 weeks.

If Romeo is not fixed, than I agree, I would assume she is pregnant. By this time, a vet can do an u/s and see if there are any puppies - do NOT let them do an xray, it is absolutely useless at this point.

#12 ·
I think this answered the question:

"Ok question....Juliet has been in heat for almost 3 weeks! Not bleeding any more thou but still a little swollen :( will it go back down or will it stay that way? Romeo is still going crazy and I've been keeping her panties on still!"

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/52-...heat-i-have-more-questions-2.html#post2083948

"Keeping your panties on" does not prevent a pregnancy no matter what your mother told you.

#10 ·
I don't think there is enough of a size difference to make it a life threatening event but a csection may be necessary but that could happen anyway.

A pregnancy lasts about 61 days, a heat cycle lasts approx 21 days. Are you absolutely sure that you caught her right when she was coming into heat? It starts with a little swelling then bleeding starts and that is when you start counting your days until they are fertile.

I agree with marj - when you have pets who are not altered, 9 times out of 10, there is an 'oops' that happens.

As I said in my above post, do not let the vet do an xray because that will just be wasting your money and exposing your girl to unnecessary radiation. An ultrasound will be able to confirm pregnancy at this stage. The bones of the puppies are not calcified until much later in a pregnancy so they will not show up.

Looking at the dates though, it would be really early to start showing, if she started on the 27th. I have a girl that came into season on the 12th of october and was bred starting on day 11 (october 23) and I can't tell yet if she is pregnant just by looking or feeling her belly.

#11 ·
I hope it's a false pregnancy too and will remember her in my prayers. Our lab, Kaylee, has had false pregnancies too. Her belly and nipples swelled, she became more attached to me whereas she usually is a daddy's girl, adopted socks/toys as her babies, and even built herself nests. Let us know what the vet says.

#15 ·
#16 ·
Do you know about pyometra? I think every female dog owner that isn't going to spay their dog before the first heat should know about it so they take it seriously if their dog starts showing possible symptoms, however vague they might seem. Closed pyometra isn't the most obvious infection, so by the time you can tell your dog is really sick, it's sometimes too late.

Here's some worthwhile reading for you: Pyometra silent killer :thumbsup:

Stacy--the heartbeat recording is so neat!

#24 ·
Romeo is not fixed. He is scheduled to be fixed thou, we were going to breed. My family has bred teacup poodles for years. I think I'm just scared because she's my baby girl! She's 9 months old. This morning she was getting sick, she only got sick once but still scares me.

What do you mean she was getting sick? I would get her to a vet ASAP.
I too don't understand how you got Romeo as a rescue dog without him being neutered already. :blink: All the rescues I know either neuter first before you get them or make you sign a neuter contract. I strongly advise getting Juliet spayed and Romeo neutered. There are enough unwanted puppies in shelters and rescue that I can't imagine breeding these little ones unless someone's only in it for the money. In this day and age it's just irresponsible; why make your little girl suffer for this? There is a higher chance of cancer for the female pup too with each heat that passes.

#21 ·
Goodness girl, didn't I read that Romeo is a rescue? Why would you breed him? I'm surprised he wasn't neutered when you got him, every rescue I know of spays/neuters before they will adopt out. Please have your animals spayed and neutered. There's no good reason to breed them.

#23 ·
I couldn't imagine going through a dog in heat willingly LOL

I do understand why breeders do it... but not being in that ring (showing & breeding) I can't imagine doing this for years! I've just been a nervous wreck and now we are on day 5 of bleeding and I'm done LOL

I can't wait to get Grace fixed. She's been so great about taking her medicine that I'm sure her levels will be better by February! She is gonna be spayed! If she hadn't of had these issues she would already be spayed.

The dumpster puppies are a testament to why pets should be fixed. Already too many unwanted puppies in the world that need saved from the dumpsters....

I hope Juliet isn't pregnant... let us know how the vet goes.

#29 ·
I got her in today at 4:30 today, when I got Romeo from the lady she told me she "rescued" him from people who mistreated and never took care of him. When I got him he was a mess! Especially around men, and has horrible anxiety! Today he is more trusting with men but still scared at times even with my husband. He is petrified of the dark, at night I have to turn on flood light in back yard and walk with him. As far as breeding, I'm well aware of the issues, I have volunteered with humane society since high school. Also I have family in Vegas that is really involved with rescues, pet harbor, Lied, and Home for spot, in which I keep active in trying to help in any way possible. (money, donations, spreading the word) We decided on having Romeo Neutered because of his anxiety! I will take responsibility for not explaining everything completely and it caused misunderstandings!

#30 ·
I got her in today at 4:30 today, when I got Romeo from the lady she told me she "rescued" him from people who mistreated and never took care of him. When I got him he was a mess! Especially around men, and has horrible anxiety! Today he is more trusting with men but still scared at times even with my husband. He is petrified of the dark, at night I have to turn on flood light in back yard and walk with him. As far as breeding, I'm well aware of the issues, I have volunteered with humane society since high school. Also I have family in Vegas that is really involved with rescues, pet harbor, Lied, and Home for spot, in which I keep active in trying to help in any way possible. (money, donations, spreading the word) We decided on having Romeo Neutered because of his anxiety! I will take responsibility for not explaining everything completely and it caused misunderstandings!

If you are lucky enough to have dodged a bullet and Juliet isn't pregnant, are you still planning to breed her or will you have her spayed?

#33 ·
Thank you for your honesty here. it sounds like you are making the absolute right call in having them both spayed/neutered.

I know Romeo is akc registered but in all honesty, I think you would be making a huge mistake in ever breeding him. That temperament could be the result of just a bad temperament and the fact that he is 11 lbs tells me that he is not a well bred yorkie. Indiscriminate yorkie breeding just terrifies me because of the prevalence of liver shunt in the breed. If you think it is bad in maltese, it is WAY WAY worse in yorkies. And the fact that the breeder is ok with you using him for breeding without being involved in showing also tells me that it may not be the most ethical of yorkie breeders to begin with, so who knows what genetic issues you could be passing down.

Most of all, I would like to say thank you for not getting upset about the advice being given here. That is truly rare! I will be anxiously awaiting the result of your vet visit today!

#35 ·
Thank you and your welcome!! I know how it came across all those Comments about breeding for no reason or greedy money hungry types and people being upset like I didn't understand the whole breeding thing which I do I totally agree with them on everything that was said so I would not get upset about something like that because I feel just as they do!

#36 ·
Cassie, I also thank you for not geting upset about the advice. You will quickly realize that this group is passionate about all fluffs. While we care about each other, it's the fluff babies that we must defend. Good luck at the vet, keeping fingers crossed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.