Have u ever seen this? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa Marie
Dog's Name: Louie & Molly
Default Have u ever seen this?

Have u ever seen this?-imageuploadedbypg-free1353889308.894816.jpg
Have u ever seen this?-imageuploadedbypg-free1353889320.453414.jpg
Have u ever seen this?-imageuploadedbypg-free1353889331.202488.jpg
Should I be worried? Have u ever seen this? It's like the red yeast they get in their eyes but she has it on her face and front paws. I took a puppy wipe to her but no luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Lmojeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

No I haven't , she's so young I can't imagine her getting that so bad from licking her paws. It must be something else. Didn't the vet that estimated her age mention anything?Was she in to anything in the dumpster?

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo

Does her food or treats have any food coloring in them? What kind of water bowl does she have? Daisy has some coloring on her face and paws for awhile and I started watching what I was giving her in the way of food coloring. Switched her to a stainless steel bowl (color leeches out of plastic bowls) and started giving her Culligan water. Seems to have helped because she doesn't have any color on her now. Things to watch out for are colored rawhide chews, beef flavored anything and drinking out of colored plastic bowls. Check and see if you can eliminate any of these things and see if it helps.
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I really think that is the result of a puppy mill or perhaps a hoarder type living situation... meaning: She wasn't in a very clean environment.

Her mother may not have kept her clean.

Definitely do some extra mothering for this little girl... wipe her with a wet cloth a few times a day so she understands what clean is....

And I may not have to say this...but be extra viligent about keeping her sleeping area clean...so she learns that. I have a feeling she may have been sleeping or playing in her pee.

But also -- ask your vet. Dirty surrounds do encourage yeast. So it could be a yeast infection that needs treatment....

Poor baby....

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy's Mommie View Post
Does her food or treats have any food coloring in them? What kind of water bowl does she have? Daisy has some coloring on her face and paws for awhile and I started watching what I was giving her in the way of food coloring. Switched her to a stainless steel bowl (color leeches out of plastic bowls) and started giving her Culligan water. Seems to have helped because she doesn't have any color on her now. Things to watch out for are colored rawhide chews, beef flavored anything and drinking out of colored plastic bowls. Check and see if you can eliminate any of these things and see if it helps.
She was eating pedigree but no tellin what she ate in the dumpster! The vet said he was probably the same dye from the low quality pet food. I started her on bottled water today and wet blue buffalo.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post
I really think that is the result of a puppy mill or perhaps a hoarder type living situation... meaning: She wasn't in a very clean environment.

Definitely do some extra mothering for this little girl... wipe her with a wet cloth a few times a day so she understands what clean is....

And I may not have to say this...but be extra viligent about keeping her sleeping area clean...so she learns that. I have a feeling she may have been sleeping or playing in her pee.

But also -- ask your vet. Dirty surrounds do encourage yeast. So it could be a yeast infection that needs treatment....

Poor baby....
Excellent post!

Puppy mill puppies can be very hard to housebreak as they get used to sleeping and pottying in the same small space.

Take her to your vet asap. Puppies from a situation like this can all sorts of parasites, etc.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post

Poor baby....
I thought the same thing! She was bathed after she was found.. And I wiped her down with a puppy wipe when I got her home. I don't want to bathe her bc she is so young and traumatized already! She sees the vet Friday.. I have a long line ad questions!

Old 11-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

I've seen this in puppies from other puppies or the mother licking with staining around their mouth. I wouldn't fuss over it if the skin underneath is healthy. You can cut the stained hair off when it grows out. No big deal.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmojeda View Post
I thought the same thing! She was bathed after she was found.. And I wiped her down with a puppy wipe when I got her home. I don't want to bathe her bc she is so young and traumatized already! She sees the vet Friday.. I have a long line ad questions!

I picked up her poopy right away from her potty pad! And she had a bed seperate with her food. She sleeps a whole lot tho! :/

Old 11-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

She's really young...she will sleep a lot. Much more than you would be used to with a 12 weeker. So that is okay.

Make sure to give her lots of physical contact

A wet cloth will be a good enough "bath" for her... use some warm water, and wipe her just like her mother would lick her.

Does she smell? Like... does she have a yeasty smell? Or does her breath smell? that is a good indicator of an infection.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement