Peachie won't eat! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Default Peachie won't eat!

As you may know if you read my returning to sm thread, she became a diabetic. She gets 2 meals a day and 5 units of insulin twice a day. I noticed under her neck swollen glands. The vet aspirated one of the glands and sent it out and thank the lord it came back neg but she has an infection somewhere, probably one of her teeth as she has many pulled already. Now she is on antibiotics for an infection. I am wondering if the antibiotic is upsetting her stomach and causing her not to eat. I litterally have to sit on the floor with her hand feeding her so she will eat and then I can give her the injection. I bake chicken with rice and vegetables for her. She must eat. She is 9 years old now and I've noticed her paws and around her face are changing colors to a light brown. She is such a worry to me and it is so sad. She was doing great with the insulin and eating up until now. Is anyone else faced with these issues, my poor little girl.
Karen

Old 11-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

I know the feeling My one baby, has a major heart condition, we justhad to increase her meds! Have you talked to your vet about this? I know with meds it can upset the stomach! Have you tried to make her anything else to eat? I really hope that she will be ok, sorry that you are going through this. Its never easy when a pet is sick.
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Maxwell, and Henry, (and Buddy and Bunnie too), Grendel, Molly and Bunny in heaven

It is so hard when they don't feel well. Antibiotics can definitely make them nauseous and not want to eat. Maybe you could call your vet and see if there is a different antibiotic that you could try?

Daisy and Max and Henry
Kathleen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Laurie
Dog's Name: My Triple Threat - Lily, Addie, Jackson, Luci Mae at the bridge

I have no suggestions, just want you to know I'm praying for your sweet girl. Coming from a family with a history of diabetics I know she needs to eat to have her meds. Antibiotics upset my stomach terribly bad. I wonder if the vet could give her something to sooth her tummy?
ladodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Default Peachie

I skipped a day and she ate better for me. Vet said to give her the pill at night, so I quess she will sleep thru any upset. Its so hard, she can't tell me whats going on. They told me most antibiotics upset the stomach. She seems to be doing better. She is such a worry, otherwise she is so cute and lovable and perfect. I would do anything for her, I cook her food, no dogfood her. Thank you for the replies.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Aww, poor girl. I'm glad she ate better today. Antibiotics are always harder on the stomach the first day or two, then usually things get better. Hugs to your sweet girl.
zooeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Karen, did you join the Canine Diabetes forum Terry and I suggested? You will get much more help there from experienced owners of diabetic dogs than you will here. I could not have managed Lady's diabetes in the beginning with out it.

Canine Diabetes Forums
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement