Hello! I have a sick little one. Any advice is appreciated. - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Sarah
Dog's Name: Bianca (B, Killa B, B-Nut, Little B)
Default Hello! I have a sick little one. Any advice is appreciated.

Hello all. I've searched and searched on this all through the internet and have come up with little to nothing. I have a one year old female Maltese (up to date and current on all shots) who has had excessive, foamy snot coming from her nose for the past two days. She's also very lethargic and doesn't want to play, etc. She's doing fine with eating, she's drinking water, and is fine in every other aspect. I've taken her to the vet. They said that her temp was normal (we also took it the night before with the same result), and that everything else about her seemed very healthy. They put her on an antibiotic, and a nasal decongestent, which has obviously made the entire situation worse. Every time she has the runny nose, she starts shaking, smacking her gums together, and trying to lick all of it off. I have been keeping an eye on her and have been trying to clean it up as soon as it happens. For a bit, I was second guessing myself as to whether or not it was coming from her nose, but after careful observation...it's definitely coming from her nose.

Anyone else ever have this issue? I'm trying to decide how long to wait before calling the vet again. I tend to be overly paranoid about her, but she's my baby.

Edit: She's also started scratching the floor after it happens, like a dog would after they've gone to the bathroom outside and are covering it up. She also has started twitching (mainly her lips and face) after it happens.
rarah.siley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gabby
Dog's Name: Sagirah, Brito, Brisa and Khadijah. All malteses

I'm so sorry for your baby. And no, that has never happened to me. When did you take her to the vet? I would call again and tell him/her she's not improving with the medicines.

Hope everything turns out ok with her.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Old 11-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

I am sorry to hear about your baby being sick! I would say call the vet... it never hurts! I have my vet on speed dial, LOL! they know my name right away!!!!
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gail
Dog's Name: Lucy

I would definitely call the vet again. Heck, knowing me, if I didn't get some kind of answer on a second visit, I would probably call in another vet. I have found some vets to be MUCH better than others...
LoveLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I called the vet back, we're going to take her in this evening right after work. She's at work with me now so I can keep an eye on her. Hopefully we can get everything straightened out and she'll be feeling better. I can't stand to see her this way!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Welcome to SM!! I would definately call or bring her back to the vet ASAP. You can never tell with them when or how long to wait but I would at least call them back. Hope she feels better soon. Please keep us posted!!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Welcome to SM!

I'm sorry about your baby and hope the vet can figure out what it is. I've never had it happen but there are a few things I wonder about. Have you noticed if it's any time near after drinking water? I had a little yorkie that drank his water so fast, he would start gagging and vomiting sometimes. If she's doing that, I wonder if some is coming out through her nose. She could have GERD (reflux). Another thing I wonder is if it's allergies. Let us know what the vet says this evening.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Elisabeth
Dog's Name: Zooey (L.A. North Central Animal Shelter)

Poor baby It sounds like an upper respiratory infection. It can take a while for the antibiotics to kick in. If you're worried, though, I would not hesitate to call your vet.

Elisabeth & Zooey
zooeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks all! I'll post an update when we get back from the vet later. I'll also post some pictures soon.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Update

Hi everyone. We took little Bianca back to the vet last night. The doctor there at the time (they have a few) said that she seemed healthy overall. He checked her very thoroughly. He also told us that the doctor before had given her too much of the antihistimine, and took her off of it completely. She seems to be doing much better energy wise since being off of it. As for the snot issue, it's mucus coming back up through her nose/mouth at the same time. He said that she is probably gagging on it, and then it's coming back up. Just a respiratory bug. He said that if she is still lethargic today, then to bring her back, but otherwise she should be almost over the "snotting" issue. I really hope so - she kept us up all night last night with it. She is terrified whenever it happens, and then she starts running around/digging at the bed. She almost fell off a few times. We were up all night!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement