Questions! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Yesmin
Dog's Name: Mavis
Default Questions!

Hello all I have a book of questions to ask about my baby Mavis (I'am new at having a puppy) First a little background about my Mavis... I have only 3 weeks with her @ home my daughter & I fell in love with her at the petstore (please dont judge me for buying her at petstore if I would have none the bad things about buying at a petstore I woldnt have done it) anyways we got her took her home on a saturday they told me everything was ok with her the Vet had recently checked her & all but I wanted to make sure & I wanted to take her to a Vet that was recommended by a friend so the following Saturday I took her to the Vet & she was doing excellent just a little cold is what the vet told me & gave her some antibiotics, but that same night she started looking sad & got sick we then decided to take her to the Vet the next day Sunday & ended up at the emergency clinic :'( She had Hypoglycemia & had to stay overnight (she is doing much better now) But I still have that bad feeling when I see her sad. Well my QUESTIONS now are is this something that will always stay with her? Why is she eating her poop? Yuuuk! When can I bathe & groom her? How to mantain her eyes without stains? She is only 3 month will turn 4 on December 19, 2012 Any suggestions, comments, advises will be appriciated I have more questions but dont want to throw them all at once LOL Thanks a bunch
Nimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Welcome Yesmin. Mavis is so cute. I am glad you took Mavis to the ER and found this forum for yourself and Mavis. I also bought a puppy that was sick with a cold from a petstore years ago. I didn't know any better either. His cold turned to pneumonia. But he recovered with Vet care. The eating poop might be from living in a cage that was not cleaned or even a puppy mill enviroment (I know sounds awful, but that's how it is). These puppies can be pretty ill by time we get them home. Hopefully Mavis just has a cold. Try not to worry too much, and keep notes for the Vet. What did the Vet say about the poop problem? I would tell him asap. Can't be healthy for Mavis. When I joined this forum with a sick puppy I used many of the sticky threadsand searched many puppy subjects. I would make a list for the Vet also, it really helps and discuss with Vet, not the tech only. So you don't forget things. I know how you feel, and everyone here will help you and maybe others will learn from your thread about pet store puppies before they purchase. There are so many people here with experience, someone will have an answer for your questions for Mavis, she is such a sweetheart! I am sorry I don't have exper with puppy Hypoglycemia, but I think maybe it mainly happens with puppies (?)
xxxx

Last edited by SammieMom; 11-30-2012 at 03:40 PM.
SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Welcome to SM and congratulations on your new baby! That was smart of you to take her to a different vet than just the one the pet store recommended. I'm sorry she got sick though. Young puppies of toy breeds have a hard time regulating their blood sugar and body temperature. How old is she? You should get some Nutracal to have on hand in case her blood sugar drops again and you can put a sweater on her if she seems cold. You can do a search on this site and find a lot of information on hypoglycemia. I don't know the correct answer, but I wouldn't give a young puppy a bath yet...just wipe off dirty spots with a baby wipe and then dry with a towel if it's cold. You can also do a search about tear stains. What I do are feed a high quality puppy food and treats that are dye free and grain free. I don't buy it in a grocery store, Walmart, PetSmart, etc, but go to another pet food store that sells human quality food for pets. Also, I put her food and water in stainless steel bowls as plastic can harbor bacteria and give her filtered water. I wash her face around the eyes several times a week with saline solution with a cotton ball.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I wanted to add Yesmin, I rem reading in an thread about Hypoglycemia that we have to be careful with Nutracal as far as how much to give to a dog. Pam might know more about it. Also, did either the Vet or ER Vet do blood panels on Mavis, I would if she were mine, esp if she seems sick and sad.

Last edited by SammieMom; 11-30-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Oscar

I heard Karo syrup is good for hypoglycemia?
Little Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Nutrical is safe to use in hypoglycemia episodes. But giving it if you are just worried can cause problems.

However.... with Grace - she has liver damage -- sometimes when she doesn't want to eat I will give her a tiny smear on her gums and it peaks her appetite.

Anyway....

I'm sorry you learned the hard way about puppy store puppies. I'm glad you took her to a separate vet and that she got some antibiotics. I hope she doesn't develop pneumonia which is common in puppy store puppies (especially this time of year).

Keep your baby warm. Sometimes if they are too cold they will sleep more or not eat enough. So keep her warm. A little sweater would be a good idea. Make sure it fits her and isn't too big. They do grow fast but you want her to be safe while keeping her warm.

Here's an inexpensive sweater idea: Easy sleeve sweaters & shirts for puppies

How old is she?

I'd subtract 1-2 weeks to that age since puppy stores and puppy mills usually lie about the puppy's age.

She may need to have her food softened so she can eat more... offering her soft dry kibble and some wet food is a good idea.

As for the poop eating... I think the others have hit it on the head.... She is a puppy mill puppy and they are kept in terrible conditions. They are not taught how to be clean. So she is used to eating her poop. With patience and consistency this will stop.

You could give her a bath after her cold is gone. You don't want to make it worse by getting her chilled. So keep her warm and dry until then.

You could wipe her with a warm wash cloth like a mother would lick her for a quick clean if that helps. But wait on her first bath until she is healthy.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Yesmin
Dog's Name: Mavis

Thanks so much for the tips I'am so glad I found this site!
My baby is our joy & we really want her to be healthy. We are taking her to the Vet tomorrow for her 3 month shots hope this doesnt devolope any sickness
Nimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I would ask VET about getting shots while she is sick?? Shots for young puppies might be different, I don't know, just a thought! Maybe we don't have a choice. There are breeders on this site that will know.
xxx

Old 11-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Tori, thanks for the sweater tip! MaryH posted about them, but I forgot with all the storm threads. I am going to make a couple since we use them so rarely down here and dog clothes are so $$$.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Yes... I would definitely hold off the puppy shots until her cold is over.

And before doing shots read this: http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/52-m...endations.html

It's recommended (especially with Maltese) that you separate the shots.

Since your puppy is already sick, her immune system is already activated... the risk of vaccine reaction is higher.

Kandis.... they work great. I knit, but sometimes I'm lazy and the sleeve sweaters are so quick and easy. Plus I don't get upset if they get snagged during play...

If you sew there are sites online that show how to sew a dog sweater from an old human sweater. But it's more steps LOL

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement