I need advise please - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I need advise please

I have a maltese puppy we got at 12 weeks old who is adjusted so wonderful. We then decided to get another maltese from the same breeder, she said she was going to use her for breeding then changed her mind. She is 10 months old. We love her but she is very skittish. She has taken a liking to me and follows me everywhere but is petrified of everyone else. She is very slowly following the other maltese and trying to be a puppy. Will she ever relax?? It breaks my heart to see her so afraid. I thought maybe she was mistreated but have researched that she was probably not socialized. Is there anything we can do to help her overcome this. We are giving her lots of love and hopes this helps. Can she outgrow this?? I was hoping someone can give some advise for this. Thanks, in advance.
diamondlil506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deb
Dog's Name: Jops,Sammie,Frankie,LBB,Henry,Daisy,Lulu

How long have you had her?
Old 12-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Oscar

Dogs have their own personality, who knows if she will come out of it, try to socialize her with people if you can. On walks, I would give someone who wants to say hello a treat to give to her.

It's strange, I have two dogs, one loves the world and one only loves me. The one who only loves me has a special place in my heart!
Little Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Have you thought of taking her to pet training classes? In addition to learning new things, it will give her a chance to be around other puppies. She may be shy around them at first, but after awhile she will hopefully get used to having them around and maybe she will eventually want to play with them. I wouldn't try to force her to play with other puppies, just let her get used to them being around and warm up to them as she feels comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default frightened dog

Thank you all for your replies. We have had her for 2 weeks now. She is making progress, she now likes my daughter but will run from my husbband. I hope she comes out of this and learns to know that we all love her and want her to be happy. It breaks my heart for her.
diamondlil506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

I don't have any absolute knowledge or experience, but the experience I do have is that dogs do become family. It may take a little longer, but I think that in a little while she will accept and love every member of her family.

My most precious heart dog, who has gone to the bridge was named Diamond Lily, Diamondlil.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hope
Dog's Name: Bella

I think dogs are like people in many ways and some dogs just aren't programmed to love everybody they encounter. It may take her more time than you expected to warm up to everyone in your house but I believe that with patience she will...however, she may always be more bonded to you than to anyone else just because that might be her personality. Enjoy the loyalty and attention! My Bella is shameless in her love for everyone. Sometimes I feel hurt...LOL. I think she wouldn't miss me for a minute if a kind-hearted stranger took her. She loves everybody...human and four-legged!
Advertisement