Cider Vinegar - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums


SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
italianna82's Avatar
 
Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 586
Default Cider Vinegar

So, I read a lot of recommendations to put a bit of cider vinegar in Gucci's water to help with tear staining. Yesterday I did this and after she drank, she kissed my bf on the nose so he smelled the vinegar and asked why she smelled like that. When I told him what I was doing, he got mad and said "YOU KNOW WHAT THAT IS GOING TO DO TO A PUPPY'S BODY??? It is going to rot her teeth and weaken her bones." I thought he was being funny, but he said "have you ever stuck an egg in vinegar and seen what happens??"
So, I don't know if he is just being paranoid or not. Heck, I drank pickle juice constantly as a kid and I was always told it was healthy for me. Do you think there is any risk in giving her vinegar???
__________________
Anna and Gucci
italianna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
Lynzodolly's Avatar
 
Name: Lyndsy
Dog's Name: Albert
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Scotland Ayr
Posts: 726
Default

I heard this is a great remedy better than the antibiotics constantly given with angel eyes , in lucky Albert doesn't have any yet but if they come I will be trying the apple cider vinegar trick ... Not sure about the rotting xx
Lynzodolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
Zoe's Mom88's Avatar
 
Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 5,479
Default

I don't really know if there are any risks with putting vinegar in the water. Perhaps you put too much because I don't think you should smell it on her breath. Gucci is young and probably teething so I wouldn't really worry about the stains right now as it could be from that. I don't know if you use Spa Lavish for tear stains but its very good. You also have to make sure the face is kept dry.
__________________
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
bellaratamaltese's Avatar
 
Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Central Valley, California
Posts: 12,710
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese
Default

Just make sure you are not putting too much in (and I don't know what the correct measurements are)

We had a member here one time that her groomer had told her that white cider vinegar was a good remedy for tear staining. Instead of researching it, she gave it to her dog straight (no dilution) and then was concerned because her dog kept making coughing/choking/gagging noises. So now every time i hear a 'remedy', I make sure to research the bejeeses out of it!

Personally, i've never tried it but a tiny bit shouldn't hurt anything.
__________________

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
italianna82's Avatar
 
Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 586
Default

Well, I put a TINY bit in her water bottle, but she had JUST finished drinking and ran to him, which is likely how he smelled it on her breath. I don't think it's "yellowing" of teeth, so much as them being weak...especially if her adult ones are growing in soon.

I use Spa Lavish, but it really hasn't helped much. I am not home the whole day, so for the few hours I am gone, she isn't being dried. I have even tried corn starch.
__________________
Anna and Gucci
italianna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
Lynzodolly's Avatar
 
Name: Lyndsy
Dog's Name: Albert
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Scotland Ayr
Posts: 726
Default

Gucci is so beautiful x
Lynzodolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
bellaratamaltese's Avatar
 
Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Central Valley, California
Posts: 12,710
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianna82 View Post
Well, I put a TINY bit in her water bottle, but she had JUST finished drinking and ran to him, which is likely how he smelled it on her breath. I don't think it's "yellowing" of teeth, so much as them being weak...especially if her adult ones are growing in soon.

I use Spa Lavish, but it really hasn't helped much. I am not home the whole day, so for the few hours I am gone, she isn't being dried. I have even tried corn starch.
Oh I just realized how young she is. Honestly, at her age, I wouldn't worry about it. Teething can cause a lot of staining and I personally don't do anything about staining until after 6 months, when the adult teeth are in. You can pretty much be fighting a battle that you will continue losing until she is older. I don't think I'd use vinegar on a pup so young, just in case (although it could be perfectly fine)
__________________

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
italianna82's Avatar
 
Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynzodolly View Post
Gucci is so beautiful x
Thank you!!! I certainly love her. Tear stains and all. My bf yells at me and tells me I need to let her be a puppy and stop tormenting her with the washing and blow drying and eye drops and corn starch and now vinegar. Hehe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaratamaltese View Post
Oh I just realized how young she is. Honestly, at her age, I wouldn't worry about it. Teething can cause a lot of staining and I personally don't do anything about staining until after 6 months, when the adult teeth are in. You can pretty much be fighting a battle that you will continue losing until she is older. I don't think I'd use vinegar on a pup so young, just in case (although it could be perfectly fine)
She has been tear staining since she was only about 9 weeks, and I'm not sure why, but I really do TRY to keep it from getting worse, but it is really a never ending battle.
I really think I will stop the vinegar...at least for now.
I am DEFINITELY not using Angels' Eyes though.
__________________
Anna and Gucci
italianna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
Grace'sMom's Avatar
 
Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 4,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianna82 View Post
So, I read a lot of recommendations to put a bit of cider vinegar in Gucci's water to help with tear staining. Yesterday I did this and after she drank, she kissed my bf on the nose so he smelled the vinegar and asked why she smelled like that. When I told him what I was doing, he got mad and said "YOU KNOW WHAT THAT IS GOING TO DO TO A PUPPY'S BODY??? It is going to rot her teeth and weaken her bones." I thought he was being funny, but he said "have you ever stuck an egg in vinegar and seen what happens??"
So, I don't know if he is just being paranoid or not. Heck, I drank pickle juice constantly as a kid and I was always told it was healthy for me. Do you think there is any risk in giving her vinegar???


Sorry.... boyfriends can be so dramatic, can't they LOL.... Sheesh.

Apple Cider Vinegar has many WONDERFUL properties for your pup.

It can help with tear staining.

I can also help with digestion.

It helps their joints - I give it to Gus who has bad joints.

It prevents and treats UTIs - I give to to Grace as preventative. She had one bad UTI before I started giving it to her. Because of her condition she is prone to UTIs but we haevn't had another since...

Plus a bunch of other things I'm sure I'm missing.

I take it myself for my gut and to help keep yeast levels down. It helps with reflux, too.

So tell your boyfriend she is fine and to stop being dramatic! That you would never give your baby something bad!

If you are worried about it rotting her teeth (never heard of that before)... you can mix it in her food.
__________________

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)






my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
italianna82's Avatar
 
Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post


Sorry.... boyfriends can be so dramatic, can't they LOL.... Sheesh.

Apple Cider Vinegar has many WONDERFUL properties for your pup.

It can help with tear staining.

I can also help with digestion.

It helps their joints - I give it to Gus who has bad joints.

It prevents and treats UTIs - I give to to Grace as preventative. She had one bad UTI before I started giving it to her. Because of her condition she is prone to UTIs but we haevn't had another since...

Plus a bunch of other things I'm sure I'm missing.

I take it myself for my gut and to help keep yeast levels down. It helps with reflux, too.

So tell your boyfriend she is fine and to stop being dramatic! That you would never give your baby something bad!

If you are worried about it rotting her teeth (never heard of that before)... you can mix it in her food.
Heheh!! They are dramatic. And it's REALLY funny considering how much he commented about not wanting " a yappy little thing"....he LOVES her. Hence the paranoia of her drinking vinegar.

Like I said, I drank pickle juice all the time as a kid (yeah, I know...eeww...but I still like it...I'm weird) and all I ever heard was how GOOD it was for me. I'm certainly not giving her a LOT by any means. So, I don't see it being harmful, but I am definitely paranoid.
__________________
Anna and Gucci
italianna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum