Help - Maltese shivering, lip smacking, lethargic - Page 8 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #71 (permalink)

Name: Tiffany
Dog's Name: Indy

Thank you everyone for all the well wishes! Indy is a little better today, and I'm hoping he will soon be himself again. Sadly he does seem to have some little rash spots on his belly and face I noticed last night, but they're small and I'm putting medicine on them. I got a call from the owner of the grooming/boarding place this morning and they are going to pay all Indy's vet bills. She also offered free boarding the next time we come in for however long we need....I explained to her that we appreciated the offer but seriously doubt we will use it. She was horrified about it all, even sounded like she was going to start crying at one point when I described poor Indy's injuries, but at the same time I couldn't quite bring myself to be too sympathetic since the place almost killed my baby...

We had a long discussion as to what might have caused the injuries that I wanted to share with y'all just as a warning for if you ever have to board! She believes Indy might have crawled under the raised bed in the kennel which apparently backs up to some sort of trough that drains water - but then said that trough should have been clean and dry...? She said they buy the kennel floor cleaners from a local place that mixes it themselves, and she is calling them today to find out about the last batch. Their routine is that they power wash with the cleaner daily, rinse with power washer, and then hand dry the floors - so Indy should never have come close to a wet floor. However - and the owner agreed this might have been a way it happened - Indy likes to dump his water dish on purpose sometimes (he normally prefers to drink from his rabbit bottle at home) and possibly the water from the dish mixed with something and got onto him. In addition, she mentioned he should be boarded in the small tile rooms instead of the concrete floor indoor outdoor runs (which Indy prefers because he loves to run in and out a doggie door and be social) because the porous surface of the concrete might have a tendency to catch the chemicals more than a tile floor. Honestly, I really don't know what happened. I did question her about possibly using bleach, but she said that never should have came in contact with Indy (or any dog) because it is only used up front where he would not have been. She is also checking on the dry shampoo they used on him to see what was in it as well. Honestly, the owner sounded very sorry and upset and I believe she is trying to figure out the situation. We are going to touch base later this week so she can let me know what she found out about the possible cause.

At this point though, I don't know how I am ever going to leave town again until I can find someone I trust to watch Indy, and I don't know how I'm even going to get him groomed again. Thinking of picking up maltese grooming as a new skill.....
tmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #72 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Tiffany - at least the boarding place is owning up to it and paying for the vet but really, they could have killed him. And remember, the employee you talked to said it had happened to another dog so if that was the case, everything should have been totally vetted (excuse the pun) from that incident. I wouldn't board Indy there ever again. Try to find a friend who would love to have Indie's company. I did that for a friend with a Maltese before I got Tyler and she, and a cousin did it for me when we went away. Also see if there are any mobile groomers who can come to you. You'll feel better seeing it, as I do.
Glad he's doing better and hoping he keeps improving. Poor sweetheart. He certainly is a trouper about it all. Kisses from Tyler and I.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #73 (permalink)

Thank you! And I couldn't agree more - just have to find a friend! Much more difficult then one would think, since I wouldn't really trust anyone but a fully vetted and experienced small dog owner at this point.

Also, we did discuss that it had happened before and she didn't have a response other than it was only used up front. She said it was actually a cat that lived there so it had free reign...however, bleach should never be used around animals so regardless it is worrisome. I plan to discuss that fact with her in more detail when we speak again because I just don't want it to happen to any other poor baby.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #74 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle Robison
Dog's Name: Amber, Emily,Lil Bit, Rylee, Sasha and a cat named Harry

I just saw this.

It's a fluff lovers nightmare,worrying about where you can board them. I guess that's why we travel with them or not at all and we have five...
If you have to leave your fluff,hopefully you will have a family member or friend who loves fluffs to watch...
I hope he will be ok.

Mommy my bows are too tight...
When bad grooming happens to good Malts...

Jewellery, Doggie Goodies, Handmade tiles,cool flying pictures

http://www.picturetrail.com/michellerobison

Vote for Southern Comfort Maltese Rescue , Chattanooga, TN

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...hallenge.faces
michellerobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #75 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Tiffany, at least you were able to have her pay the vet bills for what has taken place. We all know this really could have been a lot worse. I don't know if an answer will ever be found or at least admitted to but I remember you saying that when you called yesterday someone told you that this happened to a cat...I believe. So I think there is something going on at the kennel that she may be aware of. I certainly would never bring a pet into that place again for sure. It is very hard to go away and for that reason I try and only go on vacation where I can take my baby with me....its tough but we do it. I am just happy that Indy is okay and pray that he heals and is back to himself quickly. Hugs to you and Indy.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #76 (permalink)

Ah I agree!!! I want to bring him with me as well but, although my husband adores Indy, he doesn't quite get it. Work in progress haha - and I'm never giving in again, so will be interesting next time he wants to leave town! This whole thing has kind of turned me into a basket case and I feel crazy unless Indy is curled up in my lap where I can feel him breathing...
Old 12-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #77 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbs View Post
Ah I agree!!! I want to bring him with me as well but, although my husband adores Indy, he doesn't quite get it. Work in progress haha - and I'm never giving in again, so will be interesting next time he wants to leave town! This whole thing has kind of turned me into a basket case and I feel crazy unless Indy is curled up in my lap where I can feel him breathing...
I can totally understand how you feel about wanting Indy close to you. I wouldn't want to be away from him either. Men usually don't get the fact that you don't want to leave them but mine eventually had to give in. I am just so happy everything turned okay for you and your baby.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #78 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Tiffany,
I just read your story. So sad for you and your Indy. We just can't know all the dangers out there can we? I am so happy Indy was not harmed worse. Bless his heart, that photo of him is precious. Poor Indy! I totally understand your watching him like a hawk. As far as food you might try PET-FRESH, it's a more solid type of wet food in a tube at the pet store. some grocery stores carry it. I know the kibble will be hard. I don't want him to get upset tummy, but if you need something else for few days FP might work. Many here give it as a side dish sometimes.

I think the owner is prob thanking her lucky stars right now you didn't mention the health dept, better bus bureau, or your local news station with this story. Your Vet should be reporting this on his own, but don't expect him to. Many Vets do not. Think about it, there are other dogs living there right now. and she can't even figure out which one of the (MANY toxic agents she is using) hurt Indy. She didn't learn her lesson with the Cat. The health dept should be notified so a thorough inspection can be made of this facility. The next fluff might not be so lucky.
xxxx

Last edited by SammieMom; 12-11-2012 at 06:08 PM.
SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #79 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Also, since Indy has spots on his skin as well, I am betting you are not the only one calling this lady with a sick pup. Prob why she is so upset. But it's her business so she needs to be spending the time and money to prepare the area safely.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:11 AM   #80 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Vinh & Ann
Dog's Name: Biscuit (waiting for Mommy and Daddy @Rainbow Bridge) & lil Pork Chop
Send a message via AIM to vinhle68 Send a message via Yahoo to vinhle68

Hi Tiffany,

I'm so happy and glad to hear that Indy is showing signs of improvement but sad to hear he now has red spots all over. I'm hoping the spots are not causing him too much irritation like itches. I hope you can find the answers to the root cause and also a quick remedy to help Indy on a speedy recovery!

As for the business, I'm sorry but I am not very nice when it come to people who runs a poor business or lack the practical perspective to ensure that their customer's and their love ones are represented. I do give them a point for owning to the problem and willing to compensate for the expenses but as Kandis stated, there are still other pets there! I would think that if the owner is trully sincere about their mistake, they should also warn other pet owners that have business there as well. But I'm sure that's not going to happen!

Ann and I are praying for Indy to have a full and speedy recovery! We love to see some more pictures of him when you have some time to share them.

Indy is blessed to have you as his Mommy!

(Lil Biscuit @rainbow bridge, Lil Pork Chop 16weeks old)

Vinh & Ann
San Jose, California
vinhle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement