Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Update: Poor Biscuit is back in ER

12K views 167 replies 55 participants last post by  pammy4501 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello SM Family,

We are sad to report that poor little Biscuit is back in ER again and is in critical condition and under close observation. He started to experience very light and minor seizure activities yesterday and we rush him into the ER right away. His condition throughout last night was supposedly minor with several repeat of light twitching of his head, overly salivating at the mouth, and occasionally runs around in a clockwise pattern.

However, the light seizure continue throughout today and at around 6PM PST when we were on our way to visit him, things turn for the worst where the seizure started to worsen and more constant where the emergency staff had to make a quick decision to fully sedated him so the activities would stop. The sad and heartbreaking part is when Ann and I came in to visit him, while we thought he was completely out due to the medication, he actually try to wake up because we thinks he senses us there mostly for his momma, and it was hard to see how he was twitching uncontrollably. His mouth was clapping as well. Ann broke down in tears and all I can do is consulted her.

At this point we are told to wait it out and hopefully the heavy medication will stop the seizure and allow Biscuit to rest. It's going to be a long and tough night for the both of us not knowing what will be the outcome. There is hope that tomorrow he would be stabilize enough for us to transfers him down to the ER facilities more closer to home and that we will be resuming the treatment with the original neurologist.
I'm sorry for the long email but I felt as I need to share this with someone. Please join us in prayers for our boy to tough it out through this.

Blessing...:prayer:

Attachments

See less See more
#53 ·
Vinh & Ann....please know we all hurt with you over Biscuit's health issues. He's so precious. Many are praying for him and you.

I pray they can help this little guy. We know how hard it is to see them sick; it's devastating. I feel so bad for what you are going thru.

#54 ·
Just came on and saw that poor Biscuit is going through these terrible seizures. I"m praying that he will respond to the new medication. It has to be so very hard to see him going through what he has. Don't give up hope and I know, if the time comes, you will put him ahead of all else. This just isn't fair. :smcry:

#57 ·
Holding out hope for our little guy and his loving family. . . please take care of each other & let us know how you ALL are. . . hugs.

#60 ·
Hello to all of our extended SM family! I have just got caught up to everyone's prayers and well wishes for Biscuit and for us, and it really took a big weight off my shoulder and knowing that there is always hope for our little boys through everyone caring and positive outlook.

Here is the latest on our boy Biscuit. From my last update, Biscuit did experience one moderate seizure episode around 8-9am this morning and this is roughly 1hr after they started to administer the new Cytosar chemotherapy medication. Since then and throughout the day and until our last visit this evening which is around 9-10pm he has not experienced any further seizure repeats! Just this update alone is giving Ann and I hope, as well as the team of experts treating Biscuit, that it could be a positive response to the new medication. However it is still too early to tell and we are now looking forward to every hour and each day progressing.

We were able to speak to his current specialize medical doctor, and his original neurologist today to get a fair assessment of the current and future outlook for our boy. They all are hopeful, in high spirits, and at the same time gave us an honest and fair assessment. Biscuit condition is extremely serious and considers threatening with little chance of full recovery. However, they did give him a fair 50/50 chance to have a positive outcome from the treatment. The have also prepare us for the worse case which is to decide if we want to proceed with the risky surgery if and once we reach that stage.

The great news is that during our afternoon visit today, Biscuit was fully sedated and sound asleep resting with no further indication of seizure activity. When Ann started to comfort him, we can tell even in his deep sedated state, he can feel, hear, and smell the sense of his mom and he was indirectly responding. A little while afterward during the visit he actually forces himself to open his eyes so he can just peek at his mommy! We both were overwhelmed with a moment of relief, and then naturally of course were down to great grief seeing out boy in this condition. But we did follow your recommendation and try our best to contain our sad feelings and try to be as positive and encouraging as we comfort the little guy.

During the late evening visit, we were astound that Biscuit was actually seem to be progressing positively and he was actually lying there still 75% sedated but his eyes was open and he was simply lying there staring around. Again, he immediately show signs that he recognize his mommy and me and we can tell as we start to talk and comfort him, his eyes and ears moves which indicate he's responding. We had to take a break from the visit to make way for other activities but when Ann return again for a last few minutes of time with him, he was actually trying to stand up with his two front paws but he keep slipping cause of the anesthesia. LOL it was funny and heartwarming to watch but also sad at the same time. The nurse was actually worry cause the last time he tries to sit up was because we were leading into a seizure episode. However that did not happen and once we got home we call back to check on him and still he is free of any repeat of seizure activities. This is very promising everyone and we're hopeful and praying that the Cytosar is actually having a promising and positive response. What the doctors are intending to do is to start lowering the level of PropoFlo as Biscuit continue to response well to the Cytosar. The goal is to take him completely off PropoFlo.

Ann and I originally had plan to flight with Biscuit into New Orleans to visit Ann's family for Christmas and to also celebrate her youngest sister's wedding. We did consulted with the doctors on this and it is recommend that Biscuit should not travel anytime soon so we are making arrangement either cancel the trip all together or depending on how well Biscuit gets, we could possibly have him stay with the medical staff for 2-3 days while we fly in, celebrate the wedding, and get home to our boy. We're not fond of this plan especially to be away from our boy for 2-3 days when he needs us most so we're still considering a full cancelation. This is not flying well with my in-laws but in my opinion, they will have to understand and accepts our decision! :)

I'll post some pictures we've taken from the afternoon and evening visit so share with our extended SM family! Biscuit send his love, hugs, and thanks for all of your well wishes and prayers! :aktion033::chili:

Attachments

#61 ·
Oh my, how could you not love & pray for the well-being of that little, helpless tyke! God have mercy!
Thanks Vinh & Ann for posting an up-date. Be assured that you are doing a top-notch job (as is your medical staff) for your little Biscuit. Great parental skills!
I know the pressure you feel under in having to decide what to do about the family situation---it is a very difficult call and whatever you decide, we will support you!

Prayers to continue for Biscuit, you both, and the medical team. If you can just buy a little time it can help w/the healing. I love it that the staff is so honest w/you. I pray that you will have the strength to follow your heart in all your decisions. We are pulling for you 100%! Warmest hugs.

#62 · (Edited)
Thank you for the update, Vinh and Ann. You are such loving and devoted parents to your precious sweetheart, Biscuit. It has got to be such a comfort for him to know you are both there for him. I am looking at the pictures ... and, even though he is so sick, he is still gorgeous. He looks like a little angel ... which he is. I wish I could give Biscuit a kiss and hug in person.

I pray the new medication continues to work for Biscuit ... it sounds so hopeful. If you make the final decision to not make the trip to New Orleans ... then maybe you can visit the family at a later date. I certainly understand and support you wanting to be with Biscuit, especially with him not feeling well ... he is your family, too.

I am sending love, hugs, and prayers to all of you.

#63 · (Edited)
Sandi! and all! Guess what???!!!!

We just called ER for our late late last evening follow up on Biscuit :) He is actually standing on all fours!!!! Oh my....we're just sitting here mixed with joy and anxiousness on how he will be tomorrow.

The nurse did say that he did vomit once and they are responding with a lite medication to help with that. Overall no further repeated seizures. Biscuit will be seen and assess by a new neurologist tomorrow and this person is also working closely with the original neurologist. They will decide how much more of the PropoFlo to lower depending on our boy condition! I'm exhausted right now but I'm too happy to sleep! lol

I have to return to work tomorrow cause we have some major projects on the radar but Ann is free to visit Biscuit throughout the day. As soon as she send me any update, I'll try my best to pass it along to my SM family!

#64 ·
Oh Vinh that is wonderful and to also read that he has had only one seizure during the morning is the best news! :chili: It's amazing what the power of prayer can do and Biscuit, you and Ann have so many praying. Biscuit is such a beautiful little boy and like Marie said he looks like a little angel and what parents you are to your little boy, he is so very lucky to have you and Ann as his daddy and mommy. I know it's hard to decide what your going to do about going out of town with your baby sick. Is it possible that Ann could go alone to be there for the wedding, just know that whatever you and Ann decide we're all behind your decision 100%. Hugs to you, Ann and most of all Biscuit. :grouphug:

#67 ·
Just seeing this and have read through the whole thread. I needed a box of tissue to get through it but wanted you to know I am thrilled that Biscuit is responding positively to the treatment and that I will keep him in prayers as well as you and your wife.

#71 ·
:good post - perfect:good post - perfect

:cheer::wavetowel2::wavetowel2:

:ThankYou::ThankYou::prayer::prayer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.