Maltese puppy temperament question!! Help needed... - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious_Ein View Post

The puppy in consideration is currently 7.5weeks old. She does have two boy that are slightly younger, but when I told her I have a boy, she said girl might be better as boys tend to compete for attention(would this be true also?) *confused*!!
If I can help it, I'd rather get a boy, as they seem to be soo loving and gentle.. less 'prissy'?
First -- I must address the part I bolded in your last post.

I don't believe this is a good breeder. It sounds like a puppy mill breeder or a "greeder"......

Because a good breeder won't have more than one litter of puppies at a time, if I'm not mistaken?

Maybe someone can help with that? I always thought if they had multiple litters and doing things like, "Well I have this puppy, but if you don't like it I have these that are a little younger" - that was a red flag?

As for a boy versus a girl... Many on this forum have two boys, many have two girls. So I don't think it makes a difference.

Gus is the prissiest boy I know He's girlier than Grace!

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post

I don't believe this is a good breeder. It sounds like a puppy mill breeder or a "greeder"......

Because a good breeder won't have more than one litter of puppies at a time, if I'm not mistaken?

Maybe someone can help with that? I always thought if they had multiple litters and doing things like, "Well I have this puppy, but if you don't like it I have these that are a little younger" - that was a red flag?

As for a boy versus a girl... Many on this forum have two boys, many have two girls. So I don't think it makes a difference.

Not true that more than one litter at a time is a sign of a 'greeder.' If the breeder is wanting to place these puppies before 12 weeks (and you are in the US) then yes, that is a sign you might be dealing with a greeder. But just having more than one litter at a time is not a red flag (within reason, of course)

I just had all three of my intact girls go in heat at the same time and that is what often happens, the girls start cycling together. If I had bred them all, would that have made me a greeder or a 'puppy mill'? I'd like to say no because I'm trying to produce my next show dog, not just have puppies to sell.

To the OP, where did you find the breeder you have been talking to? Does she show her dogs or just have puppies for sale? As I said, even in a single litter, temperaments can vary greatly and you'll need someone who can be honest about it and not tell you what they think you want to hear to make the sale. 12 weeks is a much better time to more accurately assess temperament, not 8 weeks.

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thanks Stacy

Old 12-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Name: Candice
Dog's Name: Einstein, aka Ein and Ami

hi everyone~! lol i think I definitely mis-spoke on what the breeder had told me.. please bear with me. I am Korean, and I've been communicating with her in Korean, and a lot seems to have been sorta translated slightly different than I had hoped.. sorry!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post

Tori~ I had inquired her about any upcoming availability of puppies, as I already have 15week old boy who is going under knife in couple of month, and wanted a bit of time before having a second puppy in the home. then she had told me she has few young puppies available(but not yet to be ready to be placed yet), one 7.5wks old girl, and boys(but has not yet opened eyes, thus I have not seen them yet). then I let her know that from reading various posts and looking at people's maltese family, I feel like girl would be better(although an exceptionally special boy will also be awesome..). But at that point, I was 50/50 on boys or girls..

..... then I saw the photo of the girl she had, and it struck a cord! she was absolutely stunning! She looks a lot like her mother, it is one of her girls in breeding program that I had come to admire on her website. Initially, I wanted to have maybe three or four puppies to choose from, and in this case, I only had one to pick from.. but I think I fell in love with her though. More I look at her photos, more I think she will be a good match for Einstein. Ehh...... well, girl looks very prissy from the appearance but I've been raised in the home where they taught me not to judge the book by cover. Breeder had told me she plays well with her two children, who are 8months old and 2 years old- which is big plus , plays well by herself as well as others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaratamaltese View Post
To the OP, where did you find the breeder you have been talking to? Does she show her dogs or just have puppies for sale? As I said, even in a single litter, temperaments can vary greatly and you'll need someone who can be honest about it and not tell you what they think you want to hear to make the sale. 12 weeks is a much better time to more accurately assess temperament, not 8 weeks.
Hi Stacy!
the one that told me about upcoming litter( she is having a mother giving birth to a litter, not two different one. I had picked out two past puppies that I had liked, and she told me one of them is from this mother, and that mother is giving birth to a litter sometime in December) isn't the one that I am thinking of getting the girls from. But she also, is reputable, and does show her dogs. The breeder I am considering currently is Shinemore from Korea. she had told me that the girl will be ready on and after Feb 2013, or later.......

I had gone through pretty much most of the post here by other members who had bought their puppies from both of them, and they seem to be very happy. I only wish I can make the trip to Korea to pick them up, but with busy work, I was hoping by communicating with breeder directly, and also getting helpful advise from more experienced members here will guide me through the process unscathed
Curious_Ein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

When I spoke to the breeder about my last puppy(Dewey) she had three boys in the litter. She described their temperment to me and I chose the softer personality!!!! LOL. If
Dewey had the softer personality, I can't imagine what the other two were like!!!Just saying... how they are at or before 12 weeks, doesn't always mean that is how they'll be as they get older!!! I love my wild, running, jumping, biting little boy!!! Softer personality, I don't think so...at least not now, at 7 months!!!

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

I had always heard boys are more affectionate but I have had both sexes and really can't tell that one is more affectionate than the other. It has always just depended on their individual personalities. I have a 5 month old Malt now and she is more affectionate than any dog or cat I have ever had. She does like to get dressed up, but she can also be the biggest tomboy too. So, I say just look at the puppies and go with the one you feel like your heart wants you to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious_Ein View Post
hi everyone~! lol i think I definitely mis-spoke on what the breeder had told me.. please bear with me. I am Korean, and I've been communicating with her in Korean, and a lot seems to have been sorta translated slightly different than I had hoped.. sorry!!!

Tori~ I had inquired her about any upcoming availability of puppies, as I already have 15week old boy who is going under knife in couple of month, and wanted a bit of time before having a second puppy in the home. then she had told me she has few young puppies available(but not yet to be ready to be placed yet), one 7.5wks old girl, and boys(but has not yet opened eyes, thus I have not seen them yet). then I let her know that from reading various posts and looking at people's maltese family, I feel like girl would be better(although an exceptionally special boy will also be awesome..). But at that point, I was 50/50 on boys or girls..

..... then I saw the photo of the girl she had, and it struck a cord! she was absolutely stunning! She looks a lot like her mother, it is one of her girls in breeding program that I had come to admire on her website. Initially, I wanted to have maybe three or four puppies to choose from, and in this case, I only had one to pick from.. but I think I fell in love with her though. More I look at her photos, more I think she will be a good match for Einstein. Ehh...... well, girl looks very prissy from the appearance but I've been raised in the home where they taught me not to judge the book by cover. Breeder had told me she plays well with her two children, who are 8months old and 2 years old- which is big plus , plays well by herself as well as others.

Hi Stacy!
the one that told me about upcoming litter( she is having a mother giving birth to a litter, not two different one. I had picked out two past puppies that I had liked, and she told me one of them is from this mother, and that mother is giving birth to a litter sometime in December) isn't the one that I am thinking of getting the girls from. But she also, is reputable, and does show her dogs. The breeder I am considering currently is Shinemore from Korea. she had told me that the girl will be ready on and after Feb 2013, or later.......

I had gone through pretty much most of the post here by other members who had bought their puppies from both of them, and they seem to be very happy. I only wish I can make the trip to Korea to pick them up, but with busy work, I was hoping by communicating with breeder directly, and also getting helpful advise from more experienced members here will guide me through the process unscathed

Shinemore has some gorgeous dogs! Rather than falling in love with a photo though, I'd try to get some video of 'your' puppy playing, unedited.

The problem I would have getting a puppy from overseas is that if things did not work out, (puppy was sick or didn't work out with your family dynamics) that returning it to the breeder is sooo much more difficult and expensive. Not to mention a lot harder on the poor pup.

Good luck with your decision!!

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Grace did go through a "crazy" period between 4-6 months. She spent a lot of time in her xpen LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement