Maltese puppy temperament question!! Help needed... - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Candice
Dog's Name: Einstein, aka Ein and Ami
Default Maltese puppy temperament question!! Help needed...

Hello everyone.. I am seriously stuck. I am currently in a process of choosing aa 2nd maltese puppy, and I have question about their predictability of their behavior and temperament. I've always thought that puppy's behavior is something they are 'born with', and not something that can me 'molded' by the handler.. this came up because one particular puppy(still very young to be adopted) I am considering, I asked the breeder I'd like the puppy to be okay with sitting on my lap time to time, or be a couch potatoes together, and her reply was that that probably is something that can be raised as such
I took it that the puppy currently prefers not to be a lap dog... but she did say that she can try to raise the puppy to be ok that way. Is that true?? The thing is, my current Maltese boy is total sweetheart, and loves to just 'sit' on my lap whenever I want him to, until I have to get up and do something else.. I wonder if I should try to get another lap/lazy puppy like him, or get puppy with opposite personality?(like the ones who is more independent, and wants to 'sit' on their terms?)

Someone help me please...!
Curious_Ein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Honestly, you can never tell what a dogs true personality will be. Puppies will generally not sit still and rather run and play but when they are not in the puppy stage they are more relaxed. Not really sure what the breeder was trying to tell you but a puppy is a puppy and you can't really change that. Again, you really cannot tell if a pup will turn out to be a total lap dog or not.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Puppies are puppies, wild, running, biting ,jumping puppies! Being a Maltese however you can almost guarantee that eventually it will love being on your lap or right beside you! I've had several, and after the puppy stage was over all of them would prefer being on my lap than on the floor or in a bed. My Dewey is almost 7 months and already he lives being on my lap.(when he's not chasing after my other three) Dewey!s breeder(who I admire a lot ) told me that if you want a gentle dog, treat it gently as a puppy! I believe that . We do play and fetch and run, but I never rough house with my pups.

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci

I could be TOTALLY wrong, but I really believe pets are just like their owners. Gucci is about as stubborn as they come...*COUGH*ME*COUGH*. She's all over the place, but I do attribute that to her being a puppy. Now I just have to get her in behavior classes to break that "stubborn" thing or I am in BIG trouble!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I agree with Deborah also that when dogs grow up in a quieter and gentle environment they grow up in that way. He/she will be doing whatever you are and want to be near you at all times.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

Every puppy varies in temperament, even in a single litter. How old is this pup? If a laid back puppy is what you want, i would not commit myself to one until they are at least 12 weeks old. You cannot truly assess proper temperament before 8 weeks. Some pups are very busy while others are more chill and while you can do a little molding, if it's a spastic puppy, it will most likely stay a spastic puppy who will maybe sit still long enough to sit with you.

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaratamaltese View Post
Every puppy varies in temperament, even in a single litter. How old is this pup? If a laid back puppy is what you want, i would not commit myself to one until they are at least 12 weeks old. You cannot truly assess proper temperament before 8 weeks. Some pups are very busy while others are more chill and while you can do a little molding, if it's a spastic puppy, it will most likely stay a spastic puppy who will maybe sit still long enough to sit with you.

I agree.

I specifically chose the puppies I did based on their temperament because of what I wanted and needed in my life.

I chose Gus because he was so laid back and calm. He was such an easy going mellow puppy. And he remained easy going and mellow. My "surfer dude hippie dog".... His motto is: "Hey, that's cool, whatever man..."

For Grace I sought a low energy mellow puppy. Unheard of? No....

She had 3 bothers and 1 sister. I asked her breeder about each puppy's temperament. The boys were already gone, but he still told me about each of them. But he told me out of all the puppies Girl2 was the most mellow. She was the one who sought the family more and wanted to be snuggled.

My mom fell in love with Girl1 (her sister), but the breeder said that Girl1 was the alpha puppy. And that she was constantly on the go, climbing everything, chewing things, wrestling and biting the other puppies LOL She was SPUNKY.

I calmly took Girl1 out of my mom's hands and told her "no" LOL

Girl2 puppy was the one we chose... she was a better temperament for our needs.

When people are thinking about getting a second dog - I think one of the most important things you can do is find the right match for your CURRENT dog. Not what YOU want - but what will be best for your current dog?

I knew Gus would not handle a high energy dominant dog. He is very submissive. So I had to take my time and find the right puppy to match him.

Were there a lot of other cute puppies? Yes.... but I know it wouldn't have matched well.

Grace, for all her Maltese clownish behavior and spunkiness She is a laid back little girl who likes to cuddle and just chill out. She doesn't need a lot of activity to be happy, and she doesn't dominate Gus.

So I'd ask the breeder again what the puppy's temperament is... Don't tell the breeder what you WANT... ask them to describe each of their puppies... and go from there.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme

Last edited by Grace'sMom; 12-11-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

We have had two Malts and both of them have had entirely different persosnalities.Our Angel (decesed almost 5 years) was a very calm and snuggly little Malt and just loved being held by anyone who picked her up. Our Chrissy, who on the other hand (will be 5 years old on Christmas Eve) has a very different personality. Not one to cuddle but has to be by my side or in the same room as I am. Follows me all over the place. She is much more spunky and vocal as well. Loves to fetch and play. So, with that in mind, I believe that just like "people" little Dogs do have different personalities as well.
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Candice
Dog's Name: Einstein, aka Ein and Ami

Wow, thanks everyone! This helped to put things in perspective. I guess it was my fault for asking the breeder I want a lap dog.. of course they will say, they will be a lab dog eventually! ;p

The puppy in consideration is currently 7.5weeks old. She does have two boy that are slightly younger, but when I told her I have a boy, she said girl might be better as boys tend to compete for attention(would this be true also?) *confused*!!
If I can help it, I'd rather get a boy, as they seem to be soo loving and gentle.. less 'prissy'?

I didn't know Dogs emulate their owners... but go figure!! our home is super quiet, most of the time, as it is just two of us. We barely watch any TV either. Our puppy Ein seem very chill, but do have odd moments where he starts to get super hyper, and starts to run in circles(is this normal?!!)

I emailed the breeder back to describe more of the puppy's temperament, so we will see..... but
Curious_Ein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I don't really think it makes a difference if you have two boys. Several SM people have two boys. It is true some breeders will say what you want to hear so you will buy the pup. They really adapt to anything and if you have a quiet home your pups probably will turn out quiet too. Can't wait to hear what you choose if you decide to. Good luck!