Vet Visit - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Rose
Dog's Name: Bentley
Default Vet Visit

I just got back from Bentleys Vet appointment. I took him for a few reasons...My groomer had to shave him-mats got out of control... so the groomer said it would be best to shave him down, well i dont have a Maltese anymore, I have a skinny pink mouse!! He looks so funny, fluffy face and skinny body....

His weight concerned me, one of the reasons I went to the Vet. He just looked to skinny.. Vet said he is fine, better to be skinny than fat. He weights 5.5 pounds.

Im not too happy with what the tech was telling me about his food.. He also said he has never heard of Wellness I just changed him from Wellness simple puppy to Wellness Core grain free for puppies, which he eats pretty good actually really good BUT also poos about 3x per day (used to be just once a day).

He was mentioning names like Science Diet and Eukanaba......these do not have good ratings...

So Vet made a good point regarding his increase in BMs.... he said if you give a dog a dollar and he poos out 75cents, then he really isnt digesting what you give him.. "its all about volume" which Bentley is having larger poos.... so I dont know if i should go back to regular Wellness or something completly different????..... soooo off on another dog food search

Bentley turns 1 year old next week. Vet said I should switch him to adult food with the next bag... Is this too soon to change to adult food?? When is a good time to change from puppy food to adult?????

Ohh and his tear stains or getting really bad, we never had a problem, Vet didnt reccomend anything but to have the hairs down around his eyes more... im like whoa.. poor little guy is already bald

thanks for reading!!
funny how as soon as i left the Vet in my head i was thinking let me go ask what SM thinks, they know more than the Vet
Attached Thumbnails
Vet Visit-img_3684.jpg  
RE823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Bentley's haircut is adorable....he looks so cute. As far as switching to adult food it is time but I personally wouldn't feed Eukanuba or Science Diet. I basically homecook but when I don't have the time I give Zoe Fromm (wet). A few people here use Fromm kibble. It is hard to choose a food you trust and they enjoy.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

I am not anti science diet, however, there is a long list of other foods I would feed before I fed it. Tucker poops 2 x a day, Rocky poops 3 x a day, they both eat the same amount of Fromm Four Star. If you switched to science diet and told me he pooped less I would be shocked.

Wellness is a decent brand as far as I am concerned, but if you decided to switch to science diet, I would not think bad of you at all. It is all a matter of preference and what works best for you and your household.

Wellness has some all life stages formulas if I'm not mistaken-though it might just be in the grain free variety. The Fromm we use is all life stages. As far as I have always known, around 1 year old, is about the time you switch them from puppy to adult.

And I think his tiny body haircut is adorable
Old 12-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kaitlin
Dog's Name: Sadie

I don't have any advice for food because Im still debating what food to switch to but... I just have to say how adorable that picture is!!!!! Awwwwww :-) so stinkin cute

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
kaeco510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)

I would suggest Blue Buffalo or Fromm. We recently switched Ozzie from BB to Fromm after adopting Lisa since she came with a big bag of Fromm and he LOVES it!

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Personally, I love Bently's new haircut and he really has the cutest face!! As far as switching him to a new dog food, there are quite a few good choices that those of us here on SM can recommend to you. I feed our two dogs and two Cats Blue Buffalo and they are really doing well. Chrissy has a tendency to put on some extra weight, so I have had to switch her to BB Maintenance for a couple of weeks.
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Rose
Dog's Name: Bentley

thanks for the advice!!
Fromm? havent heard about it, will look it up.. where do you normally buy it at?
RE823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

OMG! Bently is SO ADORABLE

LOL I want to snuggle him!

Tell your mommy to get you some sweaters love bug

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

I have a local store that sells it. Fromm Family Foods Gourmet Dog & Cat Food, Naturally Holistic has a store locator on their site. I prefer to order online now at Dog and Cat Food, Treats, and Supplies | Free Shipping at Chewy.com
Old 12-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

I had to smile at Bentley's picture, even before I read the post!! He is so cute !! I feed mine Fromm also.

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement